Network Insecurity - Data Collection and Manipulation of the Masses

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Read this:

Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America

by

My brief review on GoodReads:

Finished this book in one sitting. When I first read the synopsis of this book back in 2019, I thought to myself that it was going to be a disturbing read. I was right about that. However, it should be read and understood by everyone.

It tells the story of how those with $$$ control the rest of us in this world. This isn't just a modern thing. This has been going on since man formed small communities shortly after leaving the caves for the first time. The powerful have always manipulated the weak and the system in order to maintain their power. This is nothing new; it's only the means to that end described here that are new.

abarbarian
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

It tells the story of how those with $$$ control the rest of us in this world.

I'll give that a whirl.

Have you listened to The Missing Crypto Queen podcast I posted about ? 🧐

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Have you listened to The Missing Crypto Queen podcast I posted about ?

Er... I don't think so. Don't remember seeing that post, but I miss a lot these days. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... "cryptocurrency". That would be the reason I didn't follow the link... no interest.

On a related topic, sort of...

I find that I rarely, if ever, click on vid links that folks post here and there. I guess it's the ol' Luddite thing. I prefer to read an article rather than listen to one. Unfortunately, people don't seem to care to write these days as much as they did in the past. Videos are making people lazy.

securitybreach
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Well, wasn't that simply an exit scam ? Those happen quite frequently in shadier places on the net (markets over Tor, crypto exchanges, etc).

I started to listen to it but thought it was the same old story told again. Person creates crypto currency, person hypes it up big time and then runs off with everyone's money.

abarbarian
10 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Well, wasn't that simply an exit scam ? Those happen quite frequently in shadier places on the net (markets over Tor, crypto exchanges, etc).

I started to listen to it but thought it was the same old story told again. Person creates crypto currency, person hypes it up big time and then runs off with everyone's money.

It is sort of the type of scam you think it is. However there is more to the story. The $ amounts are simply staggering running into the tens of billions and the scam is still running. 😎

abarbarian
11 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Ah... "cryptocurrency". That would be the reason I didn't follow the link... no interest.

On a related topic, sort of...

I find that I rarely, if ever, click on vid links that folks post here and there. I guess it's the ol' Luddite thing. I prefer to read an article rather than listen to one. Unfortunately, people don't seem to care to write these days as much as they did in the past. Videos are making people lazy.

I find it difficult to drive and read. I have done it in the past but only for short notes and map reading. 😎

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

I find it difficult to drive and read. I have done it in the past but only for short notes and map reading. 😎

Yup, I listen to books all the time on my commute and when I workout.

abarbarian
11 hours ago, securitybreach said:

and when I workout.

Blimey you must be one of them there new breed of geeks if you work out 🤣

V.T. Eric Layton
12 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I find it difficult to drive and read.

Well, I'm not usually driving when I'm online because I don't have any fancy-schmancy mobile techie carp. The ONLY time I'm on the Internets is when I'm sitting here at this desk in front of this big soul-sucking black box. :)

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Workout? Hmm... that word has that UGLY 4-letter word in it. I think I'll avoid that. ;)

abarbarian
18 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well, I'm not usually driving when I'm online because I don't have any fancy-schmancy mobile techie carp. The ONLY time I'm on the Internets is when I'm sitting here at this desk in front of this big soul-sucking black box. :)

I was talking dead tree reading 🧐

My latest vehicle does let me put stuff on a usb that then plays back through the car speakers. I listen to radio plays that I have downloaded from all over the net as I drive. I find some of the early sci-fi stuff from the USA pretty cool. 😎

OTRR_Certified_X_Minus_One.jpg

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
Cluttermagnet

I tuned into this thread late. The topic "Data Collection and

Manipulation of the Masses" is of great personal interest.

I did look up the reference abarbarian gives, and I listened to

the first recording in the series. Well done. Perhaps I will try

a couple more...

It occurred to me early on that this scam artist may have

been eaten by a bigger fish, but who knows? Long before

the narrator got into the possibility of kidnapping, I had

already gone there in my mind's eye. We can't even know

whether or not she had honest intentions, but the

Bulgaria/Russia connections are unsavoury, to say the

least. Odds are she had an exceptionally bad day prior

to her death; OTOH she may be anonymously living it

up somewhere, laughing at all the lemmings she conned...

Anyway, thanks for an interesting thread and topic.

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet