Back to the Bloat

raymac46

securitybreach
4 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

The Debian logo looks dark in the photo but it "glows" nicely when you hover the mouse over it.

Nice :thumbsup:

Hedon James
21 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Actually Windows got multiple workspaces years ago. I believe Windows 10 comes with 2 enabled out of the box. I use 4 workspaces on my windows 10 machine at  work though.

Windows does have multiple "virtual desktops", but most Windows users don't know it's available, let alone use them.  My wife uses Win10 Home, and I have Win10 Insider Preview in a VM, with both only having 1 desktop configured by default.  Perhaps PRO version has multiples enabled by default?  I wouldn't know...I only know that Win10 Home versions I've seen only have 1 configured by default, just as the majority of users have become accustomed.  I showed my wife how to use additional virtual desktops and she doesn't like it....finds them confusing....prefers to just stick with either stacking running apps on her desktop, or reduce to taskbar.  She's pretty typical, IMO.

securitybreach
12 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

Windows does have multiple "virtual desktops", but most Windows users don't know it's available, let alone use them.  My wife uses Win10 Home, and I have Win10 Insider Preview in a VM, with both only having 1 desktop configured by default.  Perhaps PRO version has multiples enabled by default?  I wouldn't know...I only know that Win10 Home versions I've seen only have 1 configured by default, just as the majority of users have become accustomed.  I showed my wife how to use additional virtual desktops and she doesn't like it....finds them confusing....prefers to just stick with either stacking running apps on her desktop, or reduce to taskbar.  She's pretty typical, IMO.

Does Win 10 Home edition not have this button? I use the keyboard shortcuts but it can be visually managed from there.

fig-a-11-3.png

I have Windows 10 Pro on this desktop PC. It has 2 desktops configured but I hide the Task View button so my wife doesn't get confused.

Edited by raymac46
  • Agree 1

Hedon James

No, the Win10 Home version looks like this:

What is Task View?

Click on the task view, and only 1 desktop is configured, with "+" buttons to add other desktops.  You're the 1st Win user that I know who knows what multiple desktops are AND uses them.  I'm sure there are others, but no one I know.

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

No, the Win10 Home version looks like this:

What is Task View?

Click on the task view, and only 1 desktop is configured, with "+" buttons to add other desktops.  You're the 1st Win user that I know who knows what multiple desktops are AND uses them.  I'm sure there are others, but no one I know.

Everybody at work uses multiple desktops and multiple monitors. Most use the ctrl-win-arrow key to flip between them. That and I am not a window's user. I maintain window's machines and servers along with some Linux servers at work. I only use windows at work because I have to and I would never put windows on any of my machines.

abarbarian
1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

You're the 1st Win user that I know

Oooooooh er you'll have touched a nerve there mate. 🤓

• +1 1

abarbarian
2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

The Debian logo looks dark in the photo but it "glows" nicely when you hover the mouse over it.

It is those finishing touches that make all the difference. 🤩

securitybreach
23 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Oooooooh er you'll have touched a nerve there mate. 🤓

Yeah, those are fighting words B) 🤬

• Haha 1

Hedon James
21 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Everybody at work uses multiple desktops and multiple monitors. Most use the ctrl-win-arrow key to flip between them. That and I am not a window's user. I maintain window's machines and servers along with some Linux servers at work. I only use windows at work because I have to and I would never put windows on any of my machines.

Apologies to you, SB!  It sure wasn't intended as a "diss", but as a reference to "one who uses Windows"; I obviously know you're an Arch Linux user, but I didn't know about your Windows experiences, so that was a surprise.  You are obviously familiar enough with Windows to discuss the virtual desktop matter, which most folks aren't even aware of.  So while I KNOW you're not a fan of Windows (numerous posts confirm our shared disdain for that OS), it appears you use Windows more than I ever knew; as I previously thought the use was ZERO?!!!

FWIW, I learned very early in my BATL membership not to use the term "newbie" on here, as Bruno didn't like it.  To me, it just means "new user", but to him it had a negative connotation.  Bruno was gone before I got here, and his legacy here is still felt very strongly, even by this user who never met or interacted with the man.  Out of respect for that, I do my best to refrain from using that term, trying to substitute "new user" or "linux explorer" when appropriate.

We are ALL Linux users here.  For most of us, it is our PRIMARY system; for many of us, it is our ONLY system; and some of us are just dabbling with Linux as an alternative OS.  But we're all Linux users.  I used the phrase "Windows user" in a similar fashion.  I know it's not your primary OS, so I would guess you're a dabbler.  And I would classify myself as whatever you are, as I am overwhelmingly a Linux user who fires up a Windows VM approximately 2-3 times a week to get work done for my job, and to perform accounting.

For future reference, what is the appropriate terminology here on BATL to distinguish between Windows users who are "daily drivers" or "primary drivers" (familiarity with the OS doesn't seem like a fair metric, as most users of that OS are not "familiar" with it?!), versus those who only "dabble" with its usage?

Hedon James
19 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Yeah, those are fighting words B) 🤬

If I have challenged thee to a duel, it was an accident.  If we must duel, can it be postponed?  I'd like to enjoy the holiday weekend first...  😜

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

In my working days - so long ago now - I was a DOS/Windows NT user. That's what the company wanted and Unilever was paranoid about compatibility and standardization. I doubt that has changed much.

In my dotage I am sorta bicoastal when it comes to O/S. I have more Linux machines but I use both systems on a daily basis. I do not use Microsoft apps or office programs - sticking to FOSS as much as possible. In my view the last useful interface in Windows was that of Windows 7 so I  go with that look and feel. Windows 8 was godawful and so are the tiles, apps and Cortana of Windows 10. Windows 10 seems to be stable and robust with the proper security apps in place. Right now on a fairly new laptop it is pretty snappy - but with the integrated graphics it is sucking up close to 6GB of RAM. That's why the comments about Linux "bloat" are pretty funny.

securitybreach

Apologies to you, SB!  It sure wasn't intended as a "diss", but as a reference to "one who uses Windows"; I obviously know you're an Arch Linux user, but I didn't know about your Windows experiences, so that was a surprise.  You are obviously familiar enough with Windows to discuss the virtual desktop matter, which most folks aren't even aware of.  So while I KNOW you're not a fan of Windows (numerous posts confirm our shared disdain for that OS), it appears you use Windows more than I ever knew; as I previously thought the use was ZERO?!!!

Well I work in enterprise IT for Royal Dutch Shell so I have to work with window's systems as well as Linux servers. I had not previously used windows for over a decade before starting 5 years ago and after a couple of years, I am the technical lead for my site. It's not that I know windows inside and out (I basically do now though), it's just that I know how to troubleshoot and I can figure out anything. So yes, I do work with window's systems at work during the week but I also have Linux machines at work as well.

For future reference, what is the appropriate terminology here on BATL to distinguish between Windows users who are "daily drivers" or "primary drivers" (familiarity with the OS doesn't seem like a fair metric, as most users of that OS are not "familiar" with it?!), versus those who only "dabble" with its usage?

Maybe say "those who have to use windows sometimes for work".. I do not dabble in windows, I use it when I am forced to. I do know windows and that is another reason that I would never use it on my machines.

securitybreach
2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

go with that look and feel. Windows 8 was godawful and so are the tiles, apps and Cortana of Windows 10. Windows 10 seems to be stable and robust with the proper security apps in place. Right now on a fairly new laptop it is pretty snappy - but with the integrated graphics it is sucking up close to 6GB of RAM. That's why the comments about Linux "bloat" are pretty funny.

You can easily turn off Cortona and it gives you the option when you first boot into windows. You can toggle a lot of things right from the  beginning. The later version shows Corotona as well but I couldn't find a screenshot showing it.

choose-privacy-settings-windows-10.jpg

• +1 2

Oh for sure I got Cortana silenced from the get-go. I also hid the search box in the taskbar. And of course Open Shell gets rid of the tiles.

securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

And of course Open Shell gets rid of the tiles.

Or just delete the tiles ;)