The Missing Crypto Queen

abarbarian

abarbarian

The Missing Cryptoqueen

Dr Ruja Ignatova persuaded millions to join her financial revolution. Then she disappeared. Why? Jamie Bartlett presents a story of greed, deceit and herd madness.

If you have any interest in crypto currency this is a must listen to podcast. A conservative estimate recons that 40 to 50 BILLION $'s have been invested in OneCoin and people are still investing. 😎

• 3 months later...
Cluttermagnet

Great topic- thanks! The idea of 'herd madness' rings so true to me today...

I'm basically with Eric. I instinctively distrust cryptos, don't own any.

OTOH I may well be even worse off with dollars. It's ALL a huge scam.

Probably one of the singularly worst decisions made by a sitting US

President was in 1913 when Woodrow Wilson caved to the bankers

and signed the Federal Reserve Act into law. Congress was paid off

and totally complicit in that. We have now had over a century of

'reverse Robin Hood-ism' as the wealthy plundered the poor and

the middle class. Which is, after, the 'normal' state of affairs in the

world. Perhaps cryptos will have that function as well?

Clutter

• 1 year later...

Following this story is better than any novel. It is amazing that she managed to con over four billion pounds from gullible folk and she has not been caught or prosecuted yet. 😂

Revealed: The Cryptoqueen's £13.5m London penthouse

On 17 September Dr Ruja's German lawyer, Martin Breidenbach, went on trial in Münster, accused of money laundering for transferring 20 million euros to a London law firm to fund the purchase of the luxury property.

Two others are also in the dock, facing charges connected to the siphoning of millions of euros from Dr Ruja's €4bn scam - which consisted of selling something that didn't exist, a fake cryptocurrency she called OneCoin.

Missing Cryptoqueen: Why did the FCA drop its warning about the OneCoin scam?

In June 2016, Dr Ruja Ignatova told an audience of thousands at Wembley Arena that her new cryptocurrency, OneCoin, was a "Bitcoin killer" and would make early investors rich. Many in the crowd had already poured in their life savings. Many more followed.

About £2bn from across the world was spent on OneCoin tokens, including tens of millions of pounds from British families.

Just three and a bit months after the London extravaganza, the watchdog posted an online warning about the get-rich scheme, headlined: "Beware trading virtual currencies with OneCoin".

It said consumers should be "wary of dealing with OneCoin" and the organisation was being investigated by the City of London Police.

But on or around 1 August 2017, with the scam in full momentum, the authority suddenly removed its notice.

There is something very peculiar about the decision by the FCA and the British Police to take down their warning of a possible con regarding OneCoin. 🧐

Cryptoqueen: How this woman scammed the world, then vanished

Ruja Ignatova called herself the Cryptoqueen. She told people she had invented a cryptocurrency to rival Bitcoin, and persuaded them to invest billions. Then, two years ago, she disappeared. Jamie Bartlett spent months investigating how she did it for the Missing Cryptoqueen podcast, and trying to figure out where she's hiding.

It's hard to know how much money has been put into OneCoin. Documents leaked to the BBC say €4bn between August 2014 and March 2017. I've also been told by more than one person that it could be as much as €15bn.

When we started planning the Missing Cryptoqueen podcast in late 2018, no-one really had a clue what happened to Dr Ruja after her disappearance. It was only earlier this year that the US authorities revealed she'd flown to Athens on 25 October 2017. And even then, the question remained, where had she gone next?

Dr Ruja identified several of society's weak spots and exploited them. She knew there would be enough people either desperate enough, or greedy enough, or confused enough to take a bet on OneCoin. She understood that truth and lies are getting harder to tell apart when there is so much contradictory information online. She spotted that society's defence against OneCoin - the law-makers, the police, and also us in the media would struggle to understand what was happening.

And, most frustratingly of all, she correctly guessed that by the time we realised it, she'd be gone, along with the money.

If only rich folks had been victims I would have applauded Dr Ruja'a con. However there are many very poor folk around the world who have fallen victims to the scam and that is a true tragedy. I do not understand why authorities around the world have not pulled together to put a stop to the con. A fascinating story though and well worth a read..

😎

_113880471_onecoin2.jpg

If you do spot the lady then I believe their is a substantial reward for information as to her whereabouts.😜

• 2 months later...