Can I change a setting?

zlim

Every time a YouTube video is posted, instead of the link, the video is embedded. Some pages take forever to load.

I'd prefer NOT to have the YouTube videos embedded. I looked over my profile and settings but there doesn't seem to be a way  for me to not load the videos.

Is this possible? Perhaps I need to change something in my browser for this site. If so, can someone point in the proper direction. (Palemoon and FF ESR are my daily browsers).

V.T. Eric Layton

Sorry, due to editing error, I deleted a posting above. I'm going to repost it now...

___

Turned OFF auto-embedding of videos/links as per request of member zlim.

___

We'll see how this goes with everyone else. It's sort of a democracy here, so if no one screams too loudly, we'll let it stand.

How's that? Fair enough?

securitybreach
1 minute ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Sorry, due to editing error, I deleted a posting above. I'm going to repost it now...

___

___

We'll see how this goes with everyone else. It's sort of a democracy here, so if no one screams too loudly, we'll let it stand.

How's that? Fair enough?

Ah, I didn't even notice as I was referring to your comment before you deleted it.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Anyway...

Embedding or not doesn't make a diff to me, so you folks just talk it out and let me know how you want it. :)

Thanks Eric. I appreciate it.

At some sites when I notice the YouTube is embedded in a post I make, I put code tags around the link so people have the option of viewing or not and don't have to wait for it to load.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
19 minutes ago, zlim said:

No problemo, senora! :)

• 4 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton
On 5/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, zlim said:

At some sites when I notice the YouTube is embedded in a post I make, I put code tags around the link so people have the option of viewing or not and don't have to wait for it to load.

Hey, @zlim...

I've had some requests from members to turn the YouTube embedding back on. Would that aggravate you greatly? If so, speak up. Maybe we can find a setting in your browser or Profile that could block the embedding just for you?

Let me know...

• +1 1

I'm pretty sure Privacy Badger could block the embedded videos but leave a box saying it had blocked and to click on it if you'd like to view. Works like that for other sites like Vimeo, Spotify, Soundcloud, Disqus etc.

I'd really like to have embedding back as too often bad videos are posted with no description so I can't choose to avoid them as I would if a preview was shown. Sort of the opposite problem to you @zlim :)

V.T. Eric Layton

If you guys can find a way to assist @zlim in a way that would be OK to all involved, that would be great. Let me know...

securitybreach

I’m actually surprised that you don’t use one of the many extensions/adding that block video until you click to play. 

I used to use them to block auto play videos.

V.T. Eric Layton
6 hours ago, zlim said:

Put 'em back Eric. I just won't look in that thread. Problem solved.

I sense disgruntlement. :(