well after all these years i've finally gotten a pi

crp

Raspberry Pi 4 , with a case and NOOBS 16 from Chicago Electronic. original intent was to use it at work as a redirector with simpleproxy , now thinking of using it for serving up static web pages for 3 different sites. Hope to have things together tomorrow.

Edited by crp
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

uh-oh, not off to a good start. splash screen shows up , couple of modules get loaded than blank screen.

keyboard is seen, if i do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete the pi reboots. but just flashing cursor in upper left 3 seconds after the raspian splash screen.

debian flavor of raspbery linux. turns out Alt-F1 gives a console screen, startx does not work. Monitor is hooked up via usb , i don''t think xserver can deal with that. so i'm stuck with command line. 

securitybreach
On 4/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, crp said:

Monitor is hooked up via usb , i don''t think xserver can deal with that. so i'm stuck with command line. 

That is your problem. You can't use a usb monitor on a RPI without some xorg configuration: https://www.mimomonitors.com/pages/using-our-usb-displays-with-the-raspberry-pi-3

It's not a plug and play sort of thing on a RPi. Do you not have a HDMI display to use? Once you set up ssh, you don't need a display connected as you can  just control it over the network from one of your other machines.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:52 PM, securitybreach said:

That is your problem. You can't use a usb monitor on a RPI without some xorg configuration: https://www.mimomonitors.com/pages/using-our-usb-displays-with-the-raspberry-pi-3

It's not a plug and play sort of thing on a RPi. Do you not have a HDMI display to use? Once you set up ssh, you don't need a display connected as you can  just control it over the network from one of your other machines.

oh, I can see the console when I press Alt-F1. have to brush up on how to change network configuration from the command line. is sshserver on automatically?

securitybreach
1 minute ago, crp said:

oh, I can see the console when I press Alt-F1. have to brush up on how to change network configuration from the command line. is sshserver on automatically?

Yes, physically it works but you have to manually configure xorg.conf to get it to show the graphical environment.