Pet Peeves: What Drives You Nuts?

Bookmem

14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Or riding slow in the fast lane. Or the idiots who tailgate you  and then when you let them pass, they go the same speed limit as you.

Yup both very annoying.

Worse though are the folk who amble along slowly on single track windy roads where there is no chance to overtake. Then when a bit of dual carriageway appears they start to drive faster so that you can not overtake. When the dual carriageway ends they slow down again. Total mindless prats.🙄

Don't get me started on how car drivers act towards motorcycle riders 🤬

• Agree 1

People here in the New Orleans area have NEVER learned how to drive on a crowded Interstate.  I lived for several years in eastern PA and often had to drive into NYC.  You could have six lanes of morning or evening commuters on the Jersey turnpike into or out of NYC and the traffic still flowed at 65mph.  Here, the traffic will be stop and go the whole commute.  Why?  Because drivers here have never been taught to leave a distance between themselves and the car ahead.  If you dare to drop back, a car in an adjacent lane will immediately cut in front of you.  It drives me insane!!! 

Edited by Bookmem
  • Agree 2

securitybreach
12 minutes ago, Bookmem said:

People here in the New Orleans area have NEVER learned how to drive on a crowded Interstate.  I lived for several years in eastern PA and often had to drive into NYC.  You could have six lanes of morning or evening commuters on the Jersey turnpike into or out of NYC and the traffic still flowed at 65mph.  Here, the traffic will be stop and go the whole commute.  Why?  Because drivers here have never been taught to leave a distance between themselves and the car ahead.  If you dare to drop back, a car in an adjacent lane will immediately cut in front of you.  It drives me insane!!! 

Completely accurate!!

Weather reports on national networks. Why do they bother ? They report sunny weather for the region, an yes five mile away across the Milford estuary it is sunny here it is raining, fifteen miles away on the coast there is a sea fret so dense you can hardly see yer hand in front of yer face.  An the amount they spend on all those fancy maps and charts they show on the tv is laughable as they hardly ever show reality.  😱

I have sympathy for the weather forecasters because, you know, the future hasn't happened yet. They predicted 10-30mm rain here for last Saturday and we got 1.2mm. Geelong, which is about 70km to the south, got 35mm so they were pretty close. 😁

I use a weather app, Storm Radar on all the android devices. We can see where the severe weather is in and around us. It is better than watching a "forecast".

My husband grabs the 8" tablet when he hears severe weather (mainly thunderstorms with the potential for lots of rain in a short period of time) is coming.

56 minutes ago, zlim said:

I use a weather app, Storm Radar on all the android devices. We can see where the severe weather is in and around us. It is better than watching a "forecast".

My husband grabs the 8" tablet when he hears severe weather (mainly thunderstorms with the potential for lots of rain in a short period of time) is coming.

I can do that here with any browser just by watching the weather radar from local TV stations.

My local tv radar is not as good as the Storm Radar app. I had both apps on my android devices and removed the local tv station one.

Another pet peeve - having to boil water! We had a water main break in the city on Monday morning so we had a boil water advisory. I'm used to safe running water.

Those tough clear plastic packages they use to wrap up a little SD card. Too tough to open by hand, can't even cut with scissors. You have to resort to a box cutter and risk losing a finger or two. Then the SD card falls on the floor and bounces under the fridge.

• Agree 2

On 9/17/2020 at 4:42 AM, raymac46 said:

Those tough clear plastic packages they use to wrap up a little SD card. Too tough to open by hand, can't even cut with scissors. You have to resort to a box cutter and risk losing a finger or two. Then the SD card falls on the floor and bounces under the fridge.

Totally! But you just need better scissors. There was a meme about that I think in the funniest thing thread. It showed a pair of scissors wrapped up in that plastic bubble packaging with the caption "If only I had scissors". 😁

When I was young they didn't wrap everything in plastic because a lot of modern plastics weren't invented yet. Shops would give you a paper bag if you needed an item wrapped. I remember buying however many screws I wanted from the hardware shop in a paper bag. Shoppers would take a (non-plastic) bag with them to the shops. The proliferation of useless plastic is a scourge on the planet. Look up "Pacific Gyre" aka "The Great Pacific Garbage Patch" to see where a lot of it ends up. 🥺🐟

How about "child-proof" prescription bottles.

We opted not to get that for my 90+ Mom who had poor eyesight, not great hands and lived alone. Her meds had to come by mail. Even the un-child-proof bottles were hard to figure out how to open When you are legally blind, as she was, it is hard to read the directions on what you have to do to get to the pills.. We weren't always there when the meds arrived.I'd put the pills into an easy open bottle for her.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, zlim said:

I'm not sure how this would work out for a legally blind person, but both my mail order pharmacy (Optum) and the local pharmacy, that I use have been using reversible caps. Turn them upside down, and they become ordinary screw caps.... You still have to cope with child proof the first time they're opened.

How about "child-proof" prescription bottles.

We opted not to get that for my 90+ Mom who had poor eyesight, not great hands and lived alone. Her meds had to come by mail. Even the un-child-proof bottles were hard to figure out how to open When you are legally blind, as she was, it is hard to read the directions on what you have to do to get to the pills.. We weren't always there when the meds arrived.I'd put the pills into an easy open bottle for her.

Edited by Pete!

Speaking of plastic, how about stores that use the pandemic as an excuse not to accept plastic bags for recycling any more, but won't allow you to bring your own reusable bag into the store for the same reason. I am hoping someone starts accepting bags for recycling soon, before the ones I'm storing take up my entire pantry!

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, ebrke said:

Speaking of plastic, how about stores that use the pandemic as an excuse not to accept plastic bags for recycling any more, but won't allow you to bring your own reusable bag into the store for the same reason. I am hoping someone starts accepting bags for recycling soon, before the ones I'm storing take up my entire pantry!

I use them to clean up my cat's litter box.

5 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Nah, the garbage company takes care of them.

So, they still wind up in land fills?  I don't have a cat but I can still throw them in the garbage.  Which reminds me, we now have to preserve easily bio-degradable "doggie poop" in plastic bags so that is last forever.

Edited by Bookmem

5 hours ago, ebrke said:

What? Your stores still give away those thin plastic bags? They were banned here from November last year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-01/victorian-plastic-bag-ban-explained/11658360

Now stores encourage you to bring your own bag, and supermarkets will sell you a thicker reusable bag usually for 15c or a heavier almost indestructible bag for a couple of bucks.

I used to reuse them as liners for my kitchen bin but have to buy them now, less than $2 for 6 months worth.

There are definitely less disposable ones floating around the streets now. 👍

Pete, post a shot of the reversible cap. Those are probably new since 2012, the year my Mom moved to assisted living. I really didn't have to worry  then because I delivered her meds to them and they administered her drugs. (Her plan changed from mail order to CVS pharmacies, so I picked up her meds.)

1 hour ago, zlim said:

Pete, post a shot of the reversible cap. Those are probably new since 2012, the year my Mom moved to assisted living. I really didn't have to worry  then because I delivered her meds to them and they administered her drugs. (Her plan changed from mail order to CVS pharmacies, so I picked up her meds.)

I don't recall exactly when they started using them, but it was well after 2012. before that, I would save a non-childproof top for each commonly used bottle size in case they forgot.

Bottle from local pharmacy on left, Mail Order on right,

Child Proof

CP.thumb.jpg.4f9cfd9b2e6cf3e37ce9ab744329203c.jpg

Not child proof

1280068846_notCP.thumb.jpg.d63527e02815aa16ba17645acb764f4d.jpg

Edited by Pete!

Thanks Pete. That looks interesting. I've never seen that.

I'll take a picture of our local pharmacy's bottles. (We can't use them any more because now we have to use CVS). The "child-proof" is easy to open with a lever. I just checked and I can also turn that cap upside down and it simply screws on. All these years and we never knew!

I'm also posting a picture of a bottle I saved because it was easy to see and open. I put my mom's pills in that.

687ff01354774105.jpg

fc2f831354774111.jpg

Edited by zlim

• 2 months later...

I have a new one.  False advertizing on ebay by Chinese co.s.  And I'm not just talking about products that are not as decribed.  I just ran into another scam.  I just ordered a 21mm openend wrench.  I made sure it was being shipped from the States because I didn't want to wait.  The ad said it was in stock in Ca.  When I got the tracking number, it said the P.O. was waiting for the package in N.Y.  The tracking no. was created on the 22nd.  It is now the 30th and the P.O. still "AWAITS ITEM".  I looked up Springfield Gardens, N.Y. and it turns out that is just outside the gates of JFK.  The advertized shipping address is just outside LAX.  The "shipping partner" that the P.O. is waiting for turns out to be Ding Hong, a Chinese co.  And when I look at the payment in PayPal, the seller "PlanetButton", also turns out to be Chinese. 佛山市盛耀网络有限公司  Seems what they are doing is having someone in the States create a tracking no who then orders the item from China and shipped by air, then re-sends it via the original P.O. tracking no.  Buying on eBay is being hijacked by the Chinese.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Back in the late 60s, the joke was that we're all "turning Japanese" because of all the incoming Japanese products back then. Well, turns out the Japanese, Koreans, etc. didn't have nothing on the current Chinese juggernaut the world is experiencing. And what bothers me most about this is that GREEDY American corporations are in league with and definitely on-board with the Chinese in this matter. It's ALL ABOUT THE $$$.

No one seems to care or even realize that the nation we know as China is nothing more than the Red Chinese Communist Party. EVERY single penny spent on any Chinese product anywhere in the world goes DIRECTLY to the Red Chinese Communist Party; they control everything in China, most importantly the military and the nukes. Does anyone really think this Communist tyranny is just happily enjoying the fruits of their Capitalistic (slave) labor?

The problem here is that 99.9% of the world doesn't really care about any of that. All they care about is that new iPhone or those fancy new earbuds they just got for .99 cents & free shipping on Amazon. The Chinese have a goal, they have a plan. I tend to doubt it's a humanitarian and people-friendly plan. The Chinese got smart. They're using the Capitalists' own means to destroy the Capitalists, eventually. That's the goal/plan, in my opinion. To me, it's quite obvious.

Anywho, my posting here borders/verges on political in nature. If anyone has a problem with it, let me know. I'll delete it.

6 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

If anyone has a problem with it, let me know

Yeah I got a problem with yer post. It ain't long enough an its short on fine detail. 🥵

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Back in the late 60s, the joke was that we're all "turning Japanese" because of all the incoming Japanese products back then. Well, turns out the Japanese, Koreans, etc. didn't have nothing on the current Chinese juggernaut the world is experiencing. And what bothers me most about this is that GREEDY American corporations are in league with and definitely on-board with the Chinese in this matter. It's ALL ABOUT THE $$$.

No one seems to care or even realize that the nation we know as China is nothing more than the Red Chinese Communist Party. EVERY single penny spent on any Chinese product anywhere in the world goes DIRECTLY to the Red Chinese Communist Party; they control everything in China, most importantly the military and the nukes. Does anyone really think this Communist tyranny is just happily enjoying the fruits of their Capitalistic (slave) labor?

The problem here is that 99.9% of the world doesn't really care about any of that. All they care about is that new iPhone or those fancy new earbuds they just got for .99 cents & free shipping on Amazon. The Chinese have a goal, they have a plan. I tend to doubt it's a humanitarian and people-friendly plan. The Chinese got smart. They're using the Capitalists' own means to destroy the Capitalists, eventually. That's the goal/plan, in my opinion. To me, it's quite obvious.

Anywho, my posting here borders/verges on political in nature. If anyone has a problem with it, let me know. I'll delete it.

The real problem is that there is no such thing as a large "American" co.  They are ALL "international".  Chinese co.s, OTOH, are all Chinese Communist co.s.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, Bookmem said:

I have a new one.  False advertizing on ebay by Chinese co.s.  And I'm not just talking about products that are not as decribed.  I just ran into another scam.  I just ordered a 21mm openend wrench.  I made sure it was being shipped from the States because I didn't want to wait.  The ad said it was in stock in Ca.  When I got the tracking number, it said the P.O. was waiting for the package in N.Y.  The tracking no. was created on the 22nd.  It is now the 30th and the P.O. still "AWAITS ITEM".  I looked up Springfield Gardens, N.Y. and it turns out that is just outside the gates of JFK.  The advertized shipping address is just outside LAX.  The "shipping partner" that the P.O. is waiting for turns out to be Ding Hong, a Chinese co.  And when I look at the payment in PayPal, the seller "PlanetButton", also turns out to be Chinese. 佛山市盛耀网络有限公司  Seems what they are doing is having someone in the States create a tracking no who then orders the item from China and shipped by air, then re-sends it via the original P.O. tracking no.  Buying on eBay is being hijacked by the Chinese.

It seems this problem is MUCH worse than I thought.  It now seems it is the new norm.  Chinese co.s setting up false addresses and claiming U.S. stock.  When you place an order you will get a tracking number for the U.S. but there will be a delay as much as ten days from the time the label is generated till the shipping co. gets the package.  Had one where the seller's address was in Kentucky and it still turned out to be shipped from China.

V.T. Eric Layton

The seller may have been in Kentucky and been an American. MUCH stuff on eBay is drop-shipped directly from China. It is what it is.