A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to...

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

... booting my MS Win 7 Enterprise installation on my main machine last night.

Once it booted, the dreaded "Windows is installing Updates - Please do not turn off your computer" came up on the screen.

Well, that's just not possible on this installation of Windows. It has no Networking; completely crippled. It's been this way the entire time I've had this Win 7 on this machine... since 2016.

So, what did I do? Well, I hit the Reset button on the machine. This rebooted and gave me the same baloney warning. Interesting.

I tried to remember when the last time I had booted Windows. It was probably about 6 weeks or so ago. I booted it and did some maintenance (CCleaner scan, MalwareBytes scan, defrag'd the Win partitions, etc.). After the maintenance, I used CloneZilla to mirror over to my back up drive. All went fine.... I thought.

I'm still not sure what happened, but I could not get the Win 7 to boot. I used CloneZilla to restore the mirrored Win 7. That went fine, but when I booted the restored Win 7, it did the same baloney "updates installing" warning. This time, though, I left it alone and let it do its thing. After about 10 minutes, my login came up. I logged in. All seems fine. Weird.

I checked the updates history in Windows... nothing there. I guess the CCleaner or MalwareBytes or the defrag did something to trigger this event. I don't know how/why, though. I've never seen this happen before on this system after this same routine maintenance.

It's working OK, now, though. I guess I'll just leave that be for now. I'm still curious, though, to know how this happened. However, since I don't want to be a dead cat, I'll forego anymore tinkering and digging to satisfy my curiosity.

The Mysteries of MS Windows.

• +1 1

16 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I used CloneZilla to restore the mirrored Win 7

What's one of them mate ?

Oh I remember now.

That is the route I forgot to take.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Only time I had that happen on win 7 was when I used Microsoft's own utility to delete unneeded files. Rebooted and had this happen. Something that MS's own tool deleted must have caused this. Never could resolve it and wound up restoring from a backup. Luckily, I had made one a few days prior.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting. I was thinking the same thing, Elizabeth. However, since I didn't use anything... er... wait... actually, I did use the MS disk clean-up thingie just before I defrag'd. My. My. I believe you may have solved the mystery. I must make a note of this and NOT do it again. I'm not even sure why I did it that time. Ccleaner usually gets most of the detritus out of MS Windows.

Thanks. Making a note of this in my notebook now. :)

~E.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, ebrke said:

Luckily, I had made one a few days prior.

Yeah yeah poke me in the ribs why don't you. 😝

I will remember to make backups

😭

• Like 1

18 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Yeah yeah poke me in the ribs why don't you. 😝