Coronavirus --- YOU CAN HELP !!!

abarbarian

I'm placing this here as it dose concern a form of net working.

Crowdsourcing App Takes Aim at COVID-19

By installing the Folding@home software program, anyone with a computer, gaming console, or even some phones and some compute cycles to spare can contribute to the work of coronavirus researchers around the world.

Folding@home is a distributed computing project from Stanford University's Pande Lab in Palo Alto, California, directed by Vijay Pande, PhD.

Participants can configure the Folding@home application to run in the background all the time or just when a machine is idle.

"We need your help! Folding@home is joining researchers around the world working to better understand the 2019 Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) to accelerate the open science effort to develop new life-saving therapies," he wrote.

"By downloading Folding@Home, you can donate your unused computational resources to the Folding@home Consortium, where researchers working to advance our understanding of the structures of potential drug targets for 2019-nCoV that could aid in the design of new therapies," Bowman continued.

"The data you help us generate will be quickly and openly disseminated as part of an open science collaboration of multiple laboratories around the world, giving researchers new tools that may unlock new opportunities for developing lifesaving drugs."

😎

NVIDIA Calls On PC Gamers To Put GPUs To Work Battling Coronavirus, How To Join PC Master Race Or HotHardware 

Earlier this week, we told you about Stanford University's Folding@home project, which is now providing CPU-based projects and workloads that you can use for COVID-19 (coronavirus) folding to battle the pandemic disease. Plenty of enthusiasts are open to using their spare CPU cycles for a good cause, and interest has been running high.

Now, however, NVIDIA has issued a call to action for enthusiasts with GPUs -- that should be most of you out there reading this -- to join in on the efforts. More specifically, NVIDIA is urging folks to join the PC Master Race (PCMR) team to put idle GPU resources to good use to fold for coronavirus-specific GPU projects. However you can also join us in the fight here at HotHardware as well. 

Luckily, getting started with Folding@home is a simple affair, with the first step being to download the installer. And if you need help with getting up and running with the software, you can follow these handy guides for WindowsmacOS, or Linux. We should also note that you don't have to dedicate all available resources to folding, as there are LightMedium, and High settings that you can choose (with the expected hits to power consumption on your system). You can also set the program to work at all times, or only when your system is idle.

You can find out more about Folding@Home's efforts to assist researchers in the fight against COVID-19, here.

😎

2 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

There is even an archwiki entry for Folding@Home: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Folding@home

Yup there is also an entry for BOINC which I use for the World Community Grid stuff. I use max 50% of my cpu 24/7 and have done since I moved three years ago. Gives me no problems, I do turn it of for heavy duty games though. I can not see anyone having problems with the Folding Home stuff.Everyone would be able to allocate at least 10% of their cpu to this fine cause, that is if they were community minded of course. 😎

• +1 1

I've got a whole lot of spare computing power.  What I don't have is any spare internet bandwidth.  I have three desktop computers and Pi4b 4gb running 24/7.  But I only have a LTE smartphone hotspot to connect them all to the internet.  And that is from a second tier ISP.  So the question is, can they use the computing power without eating up my bandwidth?

11 hours ago, Bookmem said:

I've got a whole lot of spare computing power.  What I don't have is any spare internet bandwidth.  I have three desktop computers and Pi4b 4gb running 24/7.  But I only have a LTE smartphone hotspot to connect them all to the internet.  And that is from a second tier ISP.  So the question is, can they use the computing power without eating up my bandwidth?

You really only use up bandwidth when you are downloading and uploading the computational units, so not a great deal is used. An you can always control how you use the program.

😎

53 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

You really only use up bandwidth when you are downloading and uploading the computational units, so not a great deal is used. An you can always control how you use the program.

😎

Looks like I'm going to have to do some research.  I don't know anything about how it works.  Just thought I'd like to see some of my spare computing power put to good use.

2 hours ago, Bookmem said:

Looks like I'm going to have to do some research.  I don't know anything about how it works.  Just thought I'd like to see some of my spare computing power put to good use.

Folding Home FAQ

https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/1310828-how-much-bandwidth-does-folding-use.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

I want to fold with my crappy setup (7770 and a fx 4100 @ stock) but my Internet is really crap (about 4mb download and 0.25 up) so what I was wondering is will this connection be able to cope?
I know my hardware isn't much, OK, it's nothing, but I'd like to help (:

it uses next to nothing, I've got 1mb down/ 448kbs up

and I have no problem

Not much at all. You could easily run a folding machine off a dial up modem. There are even setups that dial up to get the work unit, then hang up the modem once it's gotten, then fold, then redial once it is done to transmit the results and get the next work unit.

Hope the above helps 😎

• 3 weeks later...

open source hardware and software projects that tackle Covid-19.

As well as the Folding Home project there are many ways that the open source community is rallying around to fight Covid-19. These range from commercial companies and educational bodies donating time, hardware and software development for free or zero profit to individuals making face mask parts on their own 3-D printers. There are too many to post so if you need cheering up have a search around and read up on whats going on.

I was particularly impressed with this offer from SUSE Linux,

On the software side, SUSE, the German company behind SUSE Linux, is offering free support and maintenance for medical device companies using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) and related container technologies to address Covid-19. SLES is also being used by pharma companies like Roche and Merck to develop Covid-19 test kits and vaccines.

SUSE Linux is now a subsidiary of a large corporation who are looking after their employees and subsidiaries in a very caring and competent manner,

https://www.eqtgroup.com/news/EQT-Updates/2020/eqt-update-tackling-remote-ways-of-working/

Having a robust digital infrastructure can play a vital role in securing organizations’ business continuity while reducing the impact of COVID-19 on the work environment. Thanks to a well-established IT-strategy, EQT was able to quickly support the shift from its 18 offices to 700 kitchen tables ensuring that its employees can stay fully productive and collaborate seamlessly in the cloud, despite working from home.

Recognizing the imminent need for support in this field, EQT is reaching out to its portfolio companies to offer assistance through virtual training sessions and digital support around remote ways of working. 

Shame governments around the world are not run in a similar fashion.

😎

Edited by abarbarian
missing link
  • Like 1

A couple more good reads to raise your spirits in these dire times.

7 open hardware projects working to solve COVID-19Open hardware solutions can prevent the spread and suffering of the novel coronavirus.

The open source hardware movement has long championed the importance of the right to repair, fully own the technology you buy, and be able to remix and reproduce gadgets, just like you can with music. And so, during this challenging time, open hardware is providing some answers to some of the problems created by the coronavirus pandemic.

Another traditional hardware technique is picking up steam: sewing. The AFP reports that there is an acute need for face masks around the world and guidance from the World Health Organization about their importance. With single-use, disposable masks being prioritized for healthcare workers, in the Czech Republic people are taking to sewing to make their own masks. (Repeat-use masks do introduce sterility concerns.) The Facebook group "Czechia sews face masks" started to address this problem in their country, with tens of thousands of members using their at-home sewing machines.

As to sterility concerns mentioned above, cloth masks can be sterilised by dipping in boiling water for several minutes.

https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/Boiling_water_01_15.pdf

Boiling is one heat method. It is highly efficacious, killing human pathogens even in turbid water and at high altitude.

How I'm using AI to translate 'wash your hands' in 500 languages

You might not know, but there are currently 7,117 languages spoken in the world. Not dialects, but living languages! However, much of the world's digital media is available in only a couple dozen languages, and translation platforms like Google Translate only support around 100 languages. This reality means that there are billions of people around the world that are marginalized due to a lack of timely access to information. The current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has made this painfully clear, and it has stressed the need for immediate, rapid translation of health-related phrases (like "wash your hands" or "keep your distance") into the long tail of languages.

Stay safe folks.

😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

On April 7 I created a team for our college and started adding VMs that were abandoned by students when we went into lockdown on March 16. A month in, I added some physical computers from unused labs and more VMs, especially the VMware PhotonOS F@h client. This is how well we've done since: https://apps.foldingathome.org/teamstats/team259377.html

Tip: Having a couple of Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU workstations helps.😜

• Like 1
  • Agree 1