Question about Thunderbird

raymac46

For those who use Thunderbird (or any other standalone email client) how are you configuring your servers these days?

My wife wants to keep using Thunderbird and we are always running into problems with my ISP's (Rogers) creaky POP3 server. Since Rogers just uses Yahoo for their email agent, I have decided to bypass the ISP directly and connect via IMAP to Yahoo. I had to recreate my email accounts within Thunderbird but this seems to be working OK. It is a nightmare to try using Rogers' IMAP server.

Edited by raymac46

I have a mix of setups in Thunderbird having 3 Gmail accounts and 1 Riseup. The really old Gmail ones are still on POP as I can't be bothered changing, latest one is mainly for signups which I know will attract spam and it's on IMAP. The Riseup one uses IMAP.

I'm slowly drifting away from Gmail but doubt it will ever be complete. My ISP email account only gets messages from my ISP and I check it rarely anyway. Possibly will change ISP in the near future unless they offer me a better deal than currently after our ADSL gets cut off and replaced by the stupid "hybrid broadband" our current stupid government is afflicting on us. Some people will get connection through FTTN (fibre to the node) where they run fibre to a neighbourhood box and use the old POS copper from there to the home, some will use the old cable from TV network, and rich people can pay a few thousand to get a direct fibre connection. I'm holding out till the last moment as my ADSL is quite sufficient and reportedly better than its replacement (unless I want to pay vastly more money for it).

securitybreach

That's not true anymore. I pay att $60 a month for gigabit fiber. They ran direct fiber into my house to an coverter that coverts fiber to Ethernet.

4 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

That's not true anymore. I pay att $60 a month for gigabit fiber. They ran direct fiber into my house to an coverter that coverts fiber to Ethernet.

You're not in Australia though. I currently pay $50 for ADSL which is about 18Mb/s down and 1 Mb/s up. The best offer I've seen for the new system is $65 for 10Mb/s down. We can pay extra like $80 for 25Mb/s, or way more for still faster.

$US60 is equivalent to $AU90 currently anyway.

V.T. Eric Layton

dYeKMyI.png

Well, I definitely use T-bird on my systems. It's set up like this:

• 3 ISP accounts (on AOL servers) - POP/SMTP
  • 2 Hotmail accounts - POP/SMTP
  • 1 Gmail account - IMAP/SMTP
  • 1 Yahoo account - POP/SMTP
  • 1 AIM account (on AOL servers) - POP/SMTP

I also use T-bird as my RSS reader and USENET client. Oh, and not to forget the fabulous Calendar app.

I am patiently waiting for ProtonMail to allow remote access of their system using a stand-alone email client. When that occurs, ProtonMail will become my primary email account.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I am patiently waiting for ProtonMail to allow remote access of their system using a stand-alone email client. When that occurs, ProtonMail will become my primary email account.

I just read on another forum you can sign up to beta test this now, if you're a paid Protonmail subscriber.

• Agree 1

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, sunrat said:

I just read on another forum you can sign up to beta test this now, if you're a paid Protonmail subscriber.

Yeah, its available on the paid accounts.

• Agree 1

Well thanks for your input. You folks are obviously having good experiences both with IMAP and POP3.

I think it is more a function of the horrid Rogers servers than anything else. With POP3 they keep taking away functionality, and trying to set up IMAP on a Rogers server is like leading a bull elephant around by the trunk.

I have throw away accounts on Gmail and Outlook but I'd never set them up on Thunderbird. I don't want to read all the spam and garbage in my actual email client.

BTW it was actually pretty easy to set Thunderbird up with Yahoo and IMAP.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Oddly enough, and I'm not complaining here, I don't see hardly any spam carp in T-Bird on any of my accounts. The filters at their end work well and I also have filters set up in T-Bird, too. Rarely does actual junk mail appear in any of my inboxes. YAY!

• 1 month later...

After a month or so I have to say that IMAP rocks! it is so much easier to keep email synced and available on multiple machines when the correspondence stays on a remote server. I even got TBird working on a separate Linux machine.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, IMAP is pretty cool. I only use it for one account, though (Gmail), because I LIKE having my stuff on my computer, not someone's cloud server.

But, hey... use what works best for you! That's freedom of choice; a wonderful thing.

• +1 1

Well dealing with Rogers and using POP3 or their in-house IMAP is a nightmare. They keep changing their login protocols and then my wife can't get her email. It is far easier to bypass Rogers and just use IMAP with Yahoo.

Edited by raymac46
  • Agree 1