V.T. Eric Layton
23 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Darwin award contenders for sure.

More frequently known as "Covidiots".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
24 minutes ago, sunrat said:

The human race taking over the planet has poignant similarities to a virus.

Very much so. Life is an infectious planetary disease. ;)

• Agree 1

Cluttermagnet
Posted (edited)

Just for general interest:

Etymology of the word "vidiot" probably hails back to Wayne Greene, W2NSD,

publisher of the ham radio-oriented magazine "73" back in the 1960's. He

wrote several humorous editorials on the subject of 'TVI' (television

reception interference). Cartoon depicts a sweaty, drunken, undershirt-

clad, beer toting, overweight man knocking at a radio ham's door to complain

about interference. TVI was a real, serious problem 'back in the day'. It gradually

all got worked out over the decades, with the advent of cable TV systems

pretty much ending the problem.

"Vidiot" pretty much captures this social/technical problem from a radio

ham's perspective. Knuckle dragging, low IQ, 'cave man' type, etc.

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Agree 1

Bookmem
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sunrat said:

I just saw a report on TV and don't get why hordes of people are protesting about lockdown restrictions in the US. Something to do with insult to freedom. So they want the freedom to get really sick and/or die? Darwin award contenders for sure.

It's pretty obvious the US hasn't got far in slowing the number of new cases yet.

There is an upside to this. Maybe Mother Nature decided it's time to have a huge spring cleaning and reboot Earth. It's already making a drastic reduction in air pollution. The human race taking over the planet has poignant similarities to a virus.

I think there is a problem on both sides.  Politicians want everyone to quarintine themselves no matter the consequences, and a lot of idiots want to act as if nothing was wrong.  A little more common sense is due from BOTH sides.  

edit: As an example.  I have mentioned in this thread the precautions I'm taking but I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go play a round of golf, where I needn't get within 20' of another person.  But they are arresting people for that.  But NOT the idiots going to crowded beaches.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 2

sunrat
7 hours ago, Bookmem said:

I think there is a problem on both sides.

I think it's more one-sided, although there is no modern precedent so actions have been somewhat ad-hoc. My state government (Victoria, AU) has just done modelling of what effect may have been without the current social distancing measures. It predicted 36,000 deaths rather than the 15 we have had so far with current measures in place.

Bookmem
3 hours ago, sunrat said:

I think it's more one-sided, although there is no modern precedent so actions have been somewhat ad-hoc. My state government (Victoria, AU) has just done modelling of what effect may have been without the current social distancing measures. It predicted 36,000 deaths rather than the 15 we have had so far with current measures in place.

I don't think trying to figure which side is being the dumbest accomplishes anything.  The fact still remains that both sides are doing stupid things and need to stop.  Again, if you have read my post you should know that I'm in favor of caution and that I am exercizing it.  But that doesn't mean I have to condone arbitrary actions by politicians that are doing more harm than good.  Saying that weed shops are essential and gun stores aren't is pure political BS.

• Agree 1

abarbarian
19 hours ago, sunrat said:

I just saw a report on TV and don't get why hordes of people are protesting about lockdown restrictions in the US. Something to do with insult to freedom. So they want the freedom to get really sick and/or die? Darwin award contenders for sure.

It's pretty obvious the US hasn't got far in slowing the number of new cases yet.

There is an upside to this. Maybe Mother Nature decided it's time to have a huge spring cleaning and reboot Earth. It's already making a drastic reduction in air pollution. The human race taking over the planet has poignant similarities to a virus.

This article may help explain why,

Coronavirus: Trump defends demonstrators who protest US lockdown rules    Hundreds protest in cities across America against coronavirus lockdowns, some of them armed    Resentment grows against the crippling economic cost of confinement, even as US tops world death toll

The largest protest against stay-at-home rules so far took place Wednesday in the Michigan capital of Lansing, which drew some 3,000 people.

Protests have already taken place in Minnesota and Virginia – and Trump later defended the protesters.

“These are people expressing their views … they seem to be very responsible people to me,” Trump said during his evening White House briefing Friday when asked whether he was worried that the gatherings could further spread the deadly virus.

😎

abarbarian

Coronavirus attacks lining of blood vessels all over the body, Swiss study finds    Researcher says virus enters ‘defence line’ and causes circulation problems, which can lead to multiple organ failure

The coronavirus attacks the lining of blood vessels all over the body, which can ultimately lead to multiple organ failure, according to a new study published in The Lancet.

“This virus does not only attack the lungs, it attacks the vessels everywhere,” said Frank Ruschitzka, an author of the paper from University Hospital Zurich.

It then reduces the blood flow to different parts of the body and eventually stops blood circulation, according to Ruschitzka, chairman of the heart centre and cardiology department at the university hospital in Switzerland.

“From what we do see clinically, patients have problems in all organs – in the heart, kidney, intestine, everywhere,” he said.

That also explained why smokers and people with pre-existing conditions who had a weakened endothelial function, or unhealthy blood vessels, were more vulnerable to the novel virus, he said.

The Lancet is probably read by every doctor all over the world and is the information it gives is very highly regarded in the main.

The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It is among the world's oldest, and best known general medical journals, although it has been at the center of recent controversies.

😎

Bookmem

Anyone who doubts the virus is dangerous, a killer, is a fool.  But what IS in doubt, is that staying indoors is safer than being outdoors.  The scientific studies say otherwise.  First, let me make sure no one is making the mistake of intrepeting this to mean that CROWDED PLACES, whether indoors or outdoors aren't dangerous.  The "spring break" beaches, where kids were coming into close personal contact, were VERY dangerous.  But it now appears that outdoor air disperses the virus very rapidly and that being in parks or on beaches, while using masks and a little common sense, is LESS dangerous than going to a grocery store.  THIS IS WHAT IS BEING PROTESTED.  UNNECESSARY AND ARBITRARY MANDATES!!!

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, Bookmem said:

Anyone who doubts the virus is dangerous, a killer, is a fool.  But what IS in doubt, is that staying indoors is safer than being outdoors.

Yes. to your first statement above. As far as the inside/outside goes, as you well know, it's NOT about inside or outside. You can sit outside in your backyard or at a local park or at the beach and you're not at risk of coronavirus. The risk has ALWAYS been from other vectors (people).

The reason they're locking down cities and issuing curfews and such is because EVERYONE with half a brain knows that people do not pay attention to nor follow rules. So, if they allowed folks to go to the beaches, that would be just fine if EVERYONE there maintained a good distance apart from everyone else. The problem is that all folks would not be doing this. It only takes one asymptomatic asshat to kill a LOT of people at that beach and many others beyond.

Personally, from watching what's going on in my own area of the world, I don't think the rules regarding self-isolation/quarantine are STRONG ENOUGH. When a city is in the midst of a pandemic, the lock-down should be LOCKED DOWN! Stay the f@#k HOME! The exceptions should be:

- Essential workers... and I don't mean drywall hangers, rental car clerks, or golf caddies. I mean those who are truly essential to all of us. People like healthcare workers, grocery supply chain workers, power company workers, phone company workers, water department workers, garbage collection, police, ambulance drivers, etc. Maybe even veterinarians, too.

- Folks who need to buy groceries, medications, take the pets to the vet; required goods and emergencies, in other words.

ALL THE REST of the people STAY HOME! This virus IS A KILLER! STAY HOME. STAY SAFE. STAY HEALTHY. And DON'T infect others by breaking the rules. If we all do this, and science does its part, we can beat this. If not, it's going to get REALLY UGLY.

Bookmem
24 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Yes. to your first statement above. As far as the inside/outside goes, as you well know, it's NOT about inside or outside. You can sit outside in your backyard or at a local park or at the beach and you're not at risk of coronavirus. The risk has ALWAYS been from other vectors (people).

The reason they're locking down cities and issuing curfews and such is because EVERYONE with half a brain knows that people do not pay attention to nor follow rules. So, if they allowed folks to go to the beaches, that would be just fine if EVERYONE there maintained a good distance apart from everyone else. The problem is that all folks would not be doing this. It only takes one asymptomatic asshat to kill a LOT of people at that beach and many others beyond.

Personally, from watching what's going on in my own area of the world, I don't think the rules regarding self-isolation/quarantine are STRONG ENOUGH. When a city is in the midst of a pandemic, the lock-down should be LOCKED DOWN! Stay the f@#k HOME! The exceptions should be:

- Essential workers... and I don't mean drywall hangers, rental car clerks, or golf caddies. I mean those who are truly essential to all of us. People like healthcare workers, grocery supply chain workers, power company workers, phone company workers, water department workers, garbage collection, police, ambulance drivers, etc. Maybe even veterinarians, too.

- Folks who need to buy groceries, medications, take the pets to the vet; required goods and emergencies, in other words.

ALL THE REST of the people STAY HOME! This virus IS A KILLER! STAY HOME. STAY SAFE. STAY HEALTHY. And DON'T infect others by breaking the rules. If we all do this, and science does its part, we can beat this. If not, it's going to get REALLY UGLY.

We can't STAY HOME forever!!  We MUST find a way to "get back to work" while minimizing the danger. This "everybody must stay at home" PARANOIA has to end.   Right now I want to order something for "pickup" from a nearby restaurant.  There is no logical reason for not allowing me to do so.  I wouldn't encounter another person while walking and my contact in picking up the order wouuld be no more than if it was delivered.  Yet I'm not allowed to do it.  RULES SHOULD HAVE REASONS!!!  

V.T. Eric Layton

Right now I want to order something for "pickup" from a nearby restaurant.

That's one of my exceptions above. You must be able to go out to get food, sustenance, medications, etc. I don't think people need to go to the effing beach, though.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yet I'm not allowed to do it.

Where the heck are you located that has such strict self-isolation/quarantine rules?

Bookmem
13 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Where the heck are you located that has such strict self-isolation/quarantine rules?

In an "old folks  home".  It is a ten story apt bldg for the elderly with about 400 apts.  And, yes, I can see them taking extra precautions and actually approve of most of them.  This isn't an "assisted living" or nursing home, but if the virus got loose in the bldg, it would still be disasterous.  That said, they are still being dictatorial and arbitrary.  When the lock-down first went into effect in mid March, I had an appoint to have a skin cancer removed  from  my face.  It is still there.  If I leave the premises for ANY reason, I will be forced to stay in my apt for 14 days.   Not just the bldg, but my apt.  Won't even be allowed to go to the  lobby to get  my mail.

Bookmem
29 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

That's one of my exceptions above. You must be able to go out to get food, sustenance, medications, etc. I don't think people need to go to the effing beach, though.

I would say that that depends on the REAL danger.  If they are just as safe at the beach as they are in a grocery store, why shouldn't they be allowed to go to the beach?  You  say they have no NEED for the beach and I say they do.  It is  unhealthy for kids  to  be kept inside, both for mental  AND physical reasons.  They NEED sunshine and outdoor activiity.

V.T. Eric Layton

It's unhealthy for kids to die, too.

That's all I'm going to debate about this today, though. You do what you feel is right for you. For me, I'll stay home.

V.T. Eric Layton

When the lock-down first went into effect in mid March

Who exactly is giving you these orders?

Bookmem
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Who exactly is giving you these orders?

Christopher Homes management.

Edited by Bookmem

Bookmem
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

It's unhealthy for kids to die, too.

That's all I'm going to debate about this today, though. You do what you feel is right for you. For me, I'll stay home.

That's not debateable anyway.  What is debateable is what would cause them to die.  Very few are dying from this virus and the chances of a beach outing causing their death is slim to none.

edit: I live in Louisiana, one of the hardest hit areas in the U.S.  The total deaths so far for the state is 1405.  Only ONE was under the age of 18 and that child was seriously ill beforehand and got the virus from a caregiver and NOT from being out in public.

Edited by Bookmem

abarbarian
12 hours ago, Bookmem said:

That's not debateable anyway.  What is debateable is what would cause them to die.  Very few are dying from this virus and the chances of a beach outing causing their death is slim to none.

edit: I live in Louisiana, one of the hardest hit areas in the U.S.  The total deaths so far for the state is 1405.  Only ONE was under the age of 18 and that child was seriously ill beforehand and got the virus from a caregiver and NOT from being out in public.

US coronavirus study warns sick children could overwhelm health system    Lower risk of fatality from Covid-19 among children has led to a sense of complacency that does not add up, new research warns    ‘Urgent’ need to prepare for influx of paediatric cases with infants and very young most at risk

Paediatric services in the US could be overwhelmed by thousands of sick infants and young children – an overlooked group which has a higher risk of serious illness from Covid-19, the disease caused by the , according to a new study.
While children are at a lower risk of fatality from compared to the elderly, the very young were most at risk of becoming seriously ill and the sheer weight of population numbers in the United States meant the need to be prepared for an influx of cases was urgent, the study said.

The research was led by Elizabeth Pathak, a population health scientist and president of the US think tank Women’s Institute for Independent Social Inquiry, and warned against a sense of complacency about the impact of the disease on children.

The most conservative estimates considered in the study showed that one in 200 children in the US would be infected with the virus, with 991 severe enough to require hospitalisation. In the most extreme scenario, three out of five US children would be infected, with 118,887 becoming seriously ill.

😎

• Like 1

Bookmem

raymac46

I love my grandkids and I agree that so far it appears that they are in a low-risk cohort. However they are efficient virus spreaders. I caught a nasty one from them at Christmas time that took a month to get over. My wife and I are in a higher risk group and so I prefer to isolate us from them until things calm down. We need a vaccine before I'll feel totally safe around anyone - let alone kids.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Not only can children be carriers, but the science is showing that even in those who are Covid+ but not sick, the virus damages integral parts of the human body; immune system, liver, circulatory system, etc. This is going to affect folks even after this virus has petered out.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/poll-most-americans-think-anti-quarantine-protesters-idiots

17 hours ago, Bookmem said:

Christopher Homes management.

So, this private company is dictating to you that you cannot go outside? On who's authority can they make such demands on you? What legal authority do they have to tell you that you must stay in your residence?

• +1 1

Bookmem
3 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I love my grandkids and I agree that so far it appears that they are in a low-risk cohort. However they are efficient virus spreaders. I caught a nasty one from them at Christmas time that took a month to get over. My wife and I are in a higher risk group and so I prefer to isolate us from them until things calm down. We need a vaccine before I'll feel totally safe around anyone - let alone kids.

That may well be, but my point is that the children themselves don't need special protection.  Yes, they can be carriers without getting sick themselves, but so can anyone else.

Bookmem
3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Not only can children be carriers, but the science is showing that even in those who are Covid+ but not sick, the virus damages integral parts of the human body; immune system, liver, circulatory system, etc. This is going to affect folks even after this virus has petered out.

https://futurism.com/neoscope/poll-most-americans-think-anti-quarantine-protesters-idiots

So, this private company is dictating to you that you cannot go outside? On who's authority can they make such demands on you? What legal authority do they have to tell you that you must stay in your residence?

They don't need "legal authority".  You live by their rules or get evicted.

V.T. Eric Layton
5 hours ago, Bookmem said:

You live by their rules or get evicted.

You can't be evicted for anything at this time where I live; even non-payment of rent.

securitybreach
5 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You can't be evicted for anything at this time where I live; even non-payment of rent.

Same here on March 18th: Governor John Bel Edwards suspends foreclosures, evictions; three more die in Louisiana

That said, they can evict you when its over for violations if they manage the property.

• Like 1

Bookmem
13 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

So they wait till the crisis is over and evict me then.  I'm still left without a place to live at 81 yrs old.  What you need to realize is that this is federally assisted housing and if you get evicted, it is almost impossible to get accepted into another facility.

V.T. Eric Layton
51 minutes ago, Bookmem said:

So they wait till the crisis is over and evict me then.  I'm still left without a place to live at 81 yrs old.  What you need to realize is that this is federally assisted housing and if you get evicted, it is almost impossible to get accepted into another facility.

I understand your position, @Bookmem, and I sympathize with you. I'm looking at your situation from twenty years younger eyes, though. I couldn't fathom being in that position and allowing someone to dictate to me what I could and could not do. However, when I'm 81, things will definitely be viewed a bit differently by me, I'm sure.

All I can say now is that I wish for you to stay healthy, as active as you can be indoors, and SAFE. This will pass, but the "normal" we knew from 2019 may never be the "new" normal we see in the future.

• Agree 1

abarbarian

I'll restrain from commenting. 😎

• Confused 1