V.T. Eric Layton

Coronavirus - COVID-19

sunrat

You've seen the pictures, now you can hear the COVID-19. It's quite pleasant listening, kind of like those long relaxation or meditation tracks on Youtube etc.

While we cannot see small nanoscopic objects like proteins or other molecules that make up virtually all living matter including our cells, tissues, as well as pathogens such as viruses, our computational algorithm allows us to make its material manifestation audible. This piece is a musical representation of the amino acid sequence and structure of the spike protein of the pathogen of COVID-19, 2019-nCoV (protein data bank identifier 6VSB [1]).

MUSICAL DECEIT

A virus’ genome hijacks the host cell’s protein manufacturing machinery, and forces it to replicate the viral genome and produce viral proteins to make new viruses from it. This musical art teaches us something about the fine line between beauty of life and death as an opposite pole. As you listen to the protein you will find that the intricate design results in incredibly interesting and actually pleasing, relaxing sounds. This doesn’t really convey the deadly impacts this particularly protein is having on the world. This aspect of the music shows the deceiving nature of the virus, how it hijacks our body to replicate, and hurt us along the way. So, the music is a metaphor for this nature of the virus to deceive the host and exploit it for its own multiplication.

HOW IT IS DONE:

What you hear is a multi-layered algorithmic composition featuring both the vibrational spectrum of the entire protein (expressed in sound and rhythmic elements), the sequence and folding of amino acids that compose the virus spike structure, as well as interwoven melodies - forming counterpoint music - reflecting the complex hierarchical intersecting geometry of the protein [2].

Scientific references:

[1] Wrapp et al., "Cryo-EM structure of the 2019-nCoV spike in the prefusion conformation," Science, 2020, DOI: 10.1126/science.abb2507

[2] Buehler et al., "A Self-Consistent Sonification Method to Translate Amino Acid Sequences into Musical Compositions and Application in Protein Design Using Artificial Intelligence," ACS Nano, 2019, DOI: pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.9b02180

• Like 1
  • +1 1

abarbarian

@sunrat text shows but no picture or video ? 😎

sunrat
19 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

@sunrat text shows but no picture or video ? 😎

Did you have that problem before? I vaguely recall something... If you're using Privacy Badger it will block the Soundcloud URL, maybe some other blockers might too.

Here's a link to the Soundcloud page:

Viral Counterpoint of the Coronavirus Spike Protein (2019-nCoV)

abarbarian
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sunrat said:

Did you have that problem before? I vaguely recall something... If you're using Privacy Badger it will block the Soundcloud URL, maybe some other blockers might too.

Here's a link to the Soundcloud page:

Viral Counterpoint of the Coronavirus Spike Protein (2019-nCoV)

Yup it was No Script blocking the link. Neat find. 😎

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Neat stuff, thanks

Bookmem
On 4/5/2020 at 1:53 PM, securitybreach said:

I disagree that the internet is "public thoroughfare". In a perfect world, it would be but the internet is far from cheap and a lot of people do not have internet in our country.

As far endangering some one, that is a huge stretch as  no one is in danger when I use the bandwidth that I pay for. The companies have plenty of bandwidth to give, hence why they temporarily dropped the caps. They just act like it costs them so much. Your upload costs no more than your download speeds do but the companies give you a 10th of the bandwidth for uploading versus downloading.

Also, they were paid $400 Billion to update Broadband in the US but instead they did nothing and just took the money. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-book-of-broken-promis_b_5839394

I have zero sympathy with the ISPs, they are the ones to blame for a shortage of internet services. The broadband speeds in the US are not because of a lack of infrastructure but the corporations are very corrupt.

It's easy to blame those that pay for the faster speeds. If you pay for 10mbps, that is what you should get. If you pay for faster speeds, you should be able to use those speeds.

I know I'm not going to change your mind but, to me, hogging bandwidth just because you can, is no different than hoarding toilet  paper.  

• Like 1

sunrat
4 hours ago, Bookmem said:

I know I'm not going to change your mind but, to me, hogging bandwidth just because you can, is no different than hoarding toilet  paper.  

Totally agree. I've always been critical of people who repeatedly play music on Youtube or Spotify etc. when they could just download it once and replay that. I also own a 4K monitor and a 4K TV for which I find 720p acceptable and 1080p very good. No-one needs 4K video until the screen approaches wall size.

Sorry Josh, I agree with you on most things but not this. If everyone were more conservative with internet downloads there wouldn't be the constant need to upgrade the internet, and those with slower connections would have a better experience.

As an analog, I pay hundreds of dollars to register and insure my car, does that mean I need to drive it every day? No, it's actually only been used twice in the last month but I accept the cost as it's always there when I need it.

On a slightly political tangent, I've always thought the economic system of constantly increasing growth and consumption would be bound to fail one day. IMO growth is mainly driven by greed, and stability should instead be the prime driver. Now governments are printing free money for themselves under a new economic theory Modern Monetary Theory (MMT), it seems I'm proved right. Here's a fascinating article I just read about that - How come Australia suddenly has billions of dollars to pay for welfare?

securitybreach
36 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Totally agree. I've always been critical of people who repeatedly play music on Youtube or Spotify etc. when they could just download it once and replay that. I also own a 4K monitor and a 4K TV for which I find 720p acceptable and 1080p very good. No-one needs 4K video until the screen approaches wall size.

Sorry Josh, I agree with you on most things but not this. If everyone were more conservative with internet downloads there wouldn't be the constant need to upgrade the internet, and those with slower connections would have a better experience.

As an analog, I pay hundreds of dollars to register and insure my car, does that mean I need to drive it every day? No, it's actually only been used twice in the last month but I accept the cost as it's always there when I need it.

On a slightly political tangent, I've always thought the economic system of constantly increasing growth and consumption would be bound to fail one day. IMO growth is mainly driven by greed, and stability should instead be the prime driver. Now governments are printing free money for themselves under a new economic theory Modern Monetary Theory (MMT), it seems I'm proved right. Here's a fascinating article I just read about that - How come Australia suddenly has billions of dollars to pay for welfare?

Well the problem isnt the bandwidth, it's the companies in the US restricting the bandwidth to squeeze every dollar that they can out of it. Look at other countries, no one has a cap on their bandwidth, most are affordable, etc.

securitybreach

Plus, this is 2020. Most people do not have cable and stream all of their media. Most households have multiple devices streaming due to kids and other family members. Most people stream Netflix and Spotify. I download a lot but the majority of people stream their media.

securitybreach

Great tune! Streaming at 1080p  :thumbsup: B)

• Like 1

abarbarian

Europe calls for single app to track coronavirus. Meanwhile America pretends it isn’t trying to build one at allPlus, what’s big tech doing to help? Not much it seems, Bill Gates excepted

But no, this is the EU and everything must be done through centrally. We can confidently predict a terrible, clunky and confusing app that launches late and fails early. And does so long after smaller and poorer nations like India implement apps that accumulate over 20 million users in under a week.

Doctor WHO

Similarly, while the EU is arguing that "coordination with the World Health Organisation should also take place," in the US President Trump is vowing to cut funding from the WHO because, he claims, it failed to inform the world about the threat posed by COVID-19 earlier enough.

Gates is basically bank-rolling factories for seven potential COVID-19 coronavirus vaccines, in the hope one or two are eventually viable even if it means blowing billions on the others.

Gates aside, it’s almost as if the billionaire philanthropist argument is a useful but ultimately worthless construct that the super rich can use as a way to explain away why a very, very small number of people should be allowed to hoard vast resources in defiance of every logical argument about efficiency and societal well-being.

😎

• Like 1

sunrat

"billionaire philanthropist" can be a smokescreen to hide what else they do. Australia's Anthony Pratt, worth over 10 billion bucks, donated a whole 1 million to fund Covid drug trials. And he's actually one of our better super-rich. He did donate $700,000 for bushfire relief, whereas Aussie mining magnate Andrew Forrest and his wife, worth a measly $7.9 billion, donated 70 million.

The inequality in this world astounds me.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

raymac46

I live in a small town away from major cities but it only takes one person to screw things up. Apparently one worker at a long term care home in Almonte was away during the March school break and upon returning she infected the inhabitants of the home. So far 10 have died and another 20 are infected that they know about. This is in a home with 80 patients. COVID-19 is the scourge of the elderly.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6800274/10-dead-20-infected-almonte-long-term-care-coronavirus-covid-19/

• Sad 1
  • +1 1

Cluttermagnet
Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

New Orleans is getting ready to catch on fire with this virus, Josh. You need to consider starting to wear a mask (or even just a bandana tied over your face) and gloves, also disinfect yourself constantly when out in public. It's going to get UGLY. Don't think that your youth and healthiness will save you. STAY HEALTHY!

Oh, and yeah... being a hermit loner type, this social distancing is no hardship for me at all. I was MADE for this stuff. ;)

I am holding up pretty well because I'm a more solitary type like Eric.

Regarding masks, it is well known that N-95 or N-100 types do afford some protection

to the wearer. That's why they are trying to convince people to forego these types and

just wear the surgical type masks, reserving the  better ones for the medicos...

I have only worn a mask once in public- when I went shopping at a grocery store last

week. I wore a bandana type but it is specially configured with a HEPA type filter

paper underneath the cloth layers. It's actually devilishly tricky to get these working

efficiently, but when you accomplish that, you have some degree of real protection

for yourself- your mask isn't just protecting others from you. If you shop vacuum

cleaner bags very carefully, you can find an 'ultra' filtration version that even

exceeds the usual 'micro allergens' level of filtering. This material catches 99.7% of

particles above 0.3 microns. The Coronavirus is around 0.125 microns. This means

you can realistically expect the medium will catch the smaller particles at an

efficiency probably well over 90%, maybe even 95%.

The big issue is bypass air that sneaks around the filter paper. If that happens,

your efficiency drops but is still well over 50% or so. Better than nothing. I found a

design online and tinkered with it a bit and found ways to make it seal better to

my face. One other important thing to keep in mind- if you are exposed to the

virus, it is very important what the initial 'viral load' is. If you only get a few small

particles, things go better, and your immune system gets a little more heads up

to mount a defense.

Ultimately, it seems inevitable that we mostly all will be exposed to the virus

So what really matters is age and your state of health.

Here's some real, practical advice that can make a big difference when the

seemingly inevitable happens: Supplement now with Vitamins C and D, magnesium

and zinc. I can't begin to tell you how important this is. Don't risk or put your

hope or trust in vaccines. At best, they will come too late to help many.

I can pass along links and suggested amounts to take if anyone is interested.

Maybe none of you bother to research this. It's your call. There is presently an

epidemic worldwide of people with too low a level of C and D. Many of these

folks are at far greater risk if the virus nails them. I've researched this topic

most thoroughly, going back years. 'The truth is out there'. You just have to

dig a little for it. Mainstream media is focused insanely on the hope of a

vaccine fix. They are trying to bury the info people really need. Go on,

really research it, I dare you. Many reputable hospitals are now treating

patients with IV Vitamin C and a host of other, more realistic and rational

strategies. This includes both US and Chinese hospitals, and others as well.

Social isolation will help a lot! But so will the supplement strategies

mentioned above. And above all, if you are out of shape or poorly

nourished, you would be wise to get that fixed mighty fast, while there

still may be some time...

I'm in my early 70's now, but I plan to survive this nightmare we are all

living through. At least, it won't be the virus that will get me. I am pretty

fit and healthy, all things considered. There's a far greater risk that

things will spiral out of control as economies and supply chains fail,

and the ensuing melee could be quite bloody if it goes that far wrong...

Robberies and home invasions, anyone?

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet

abarbarian

It is worth reading this article before using some HEPA filters.

From scarves to HEPA filters, what kind of face covering is your best bet against coronavirus?

But not so fast: Manufacturers of HEPA vacuum bags warn against repurposing their products for use in coronavirus masks.

Shop-Vac, a leading wet/dry vacuum maker, has posted a statement on its website saying its HEPA vacuum bags "are in no way designed or intended to protect humans from bacteria, viruses or other pathogens," and cautioning that "direct contact or coverage of the human mouth or nose with the filter materials are strictly forbidden for any purpose."

Part of the reason is that most HEPA filters are composed of microscopic glass fibers, which can be harmful to the lungs if inhaled. There are vacuum bags made without glass fibers, but these are "micro-filters," not HEPA filters, which only block particles 2 microns in size.

image.gif.12bc2c8aef694d4e6c06119d79d40e20.gif

😎
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach

The face coverings aren't for your protection but so that you do not spread it to those who may be vulnerable:

CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

There are also a few tutorials on making your own on that CDC link.

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet
15 hours ago, securitybreach said:

The face coverings aren't for your protection but so that you do not spread it to those who may be vulnerable:

That's the plan, of course. I wanted my mask to do more, so do lots of others. There is nothing wrong

with wearing a mask that also provides some protection to the wearer- and that is the entire idea

behind trying to reserve the 'pro' type filters, N-95 and N-100, to the medicos, who have no real choice

so far as going in harm's way.

Clutter

Cluttermagnet
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, abarbarian said:

It is worth reading this article before using some HEPA filters.

From scarves to HEPA filters, what kind of face covering is your best bet against coronavirus?

😎

Another type of HEPA filter made without glass fibers is the Filtrete brand filter manufactured by 3M for use in air purifiers and HVAC systems. But 3M has posted a similar warning on its website saying that Filtrete filters "are designed to be used in HVAC systems, and the filter media has not been tested to be used as a face mask for respiratory protection. Altering any of our 3M Filtrete Air Filters is not recommended."

Aw, the manufacturers are just covering their butts. They don't want to get sued. Disclaimers such as

these make it far less likely that will happen to them.

I chose a 3M product that they do call Filtrete, although it is vacuum cleaner bags rather than HVAC

filters. Although I have no idea if it incorporates glass fibers, I'll just take my chances, guys. My

total exposure per month to the filter medium is probably not going to exceed one hour, It will

probably be less. BTW there is no direct contact with my face. The filter medium is

sandwiched between multiple layers of a cloth bandana.

I bet it is getting increasingly hard to find the 'ultra' grade material. Word gets around. OTOH the

'micro allergens' grade is still readily available. But it's too coarse to do a very good job of catching

a 0.125 micron particle. But still that grade would be waaaaay better than nothing at all!

...the filter media has not been tested to be used as a face mask for respiratory protection...

It's called CYA. It costs a ton of money to do the testing. But if you read their press release

carefully, it sounds to me like this is a pretty low risk. Balancing risk/benefit, I will definitely

continue my very infrequent use of their HEPA material as part of a face mask!

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
Posted (edited)

P.S. My lawn was getting awfully tall. It was way overdue for a first mowing of

the season. Meanwhile, my mower with Briggs & Stratton engine began having

trouble starting last fall. I made a trip on Saturday to the local big box hardware

store to buy a new spark plug to try. Nothing doing. The line of masked people

waiting outside was long. I sufficed with buying some cat litter at the pet

store in the same shopping center. Then I remembered there is an auto parts/

repair shop in the same center. I slipped in there, and the pet place, no problems.

Got my spark plug. As I suspected, the problem wasn't the plug, it's the

carburettor. I'm not that great with small engines, but not hopeless, either.

Watched a YouTube video on how to troubleshoot that model carburettor.

I think I can do that. Meanwhile, I was just barely able to get the mower to

start and run long enough to cut our small lawn at Casa Betty. Next day the

mower resolutely refused to run reliably- and most of the time wouldn't

even start. So I'm going to have to deal with that carburettor. Ugh! I'll get

through it...

I took a chance in both stores, knowing how sparsely populated they were.

I ran in and back out pretty quick, sans mask. I had the bandana with me.

If forced to, I could have donned that mask. I chose not to. The auto parts

store had open doors and some pretty big fans running, a fair amount of

air moving. Good idea. It was easy to maintain good social distance in both

stores...

Go ahead criticize me. I can take it. You know, guys- I'm a pretty healthy

early 70's type. If something ends my life in the next year, I believe

it won't be the virus. I think I have a pretty good chance of surviving

exposure and forming antibodies. What is far more likely to take me out

is violence from scared, desperate, panic-y, out of control people. And

alas, we are slowly but steadily headed in that direction. The remnants

of the middle class are getting killed here. Small businesses will fail in

record numbers. There will be shortages. Supply lines will crumble.

That is what we are all going to have to collectively survive...

Clutter

P.S. Exposure is likely inevitable for most who live in populated areas.

Never forget, this virus is a freakin' bio-weapon, make no mistake

about that. It has been skillfully gene spliced to be particularly nasty

and stealthily infectious. It will kill a lot of innocent people, and there

is no putting this evil genie back in the bottle.

P.P.S. Tomorrow, Monday, I will be returning to that same big box

hardware store. I ordered and paid for a couple of items online.

I'll get curbside pickup, don't have to wait in line. They email me when

the order is picked and ready. I park and call them on the cell phone.

Someone comes out to my car with the items. Cool...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

abarbarian
17 hours ago, securitybreach said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

There are also a few tutorials on making your own on that CDC link.

Yup posted about this on April 4th.🧐

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/96537-coronavirus-covid-19/&do=findComment&comment=464228

• Agree 1

abarbarian

@Cluttermagnet no criticism intended everyone has to make up their own mind as to how they ride this storm.

I was just pointing out the very real dangers of using materials not suitable for face masks. 😎

Cluttermagnet

No offense taken, mate. We're all in this together.

And besides, I learned something new from your post.

:fishing::yes:

Clutter

• +1 1

abarbarian

Stuck in lock down. Think you have it bad. Feeling isolated.

Things could be worse.

😍

securitybreach

I am not a fan of her music, but this is exactly “what public figures should be doing” !!!

fzpagpmdqms41.png

Cluttermagnet

I am blessed (?) with an introvert's personality. I don't have a sense of loneliness

very much at all. Kind of a rich inner world, yet at the same time, a keen sense of

my surroundings. I'm going to be OK.

Clutter

Bookmem
On 4/9/2020 at 10:07 PM, securitybreach said:

Well the problem isnt the bandwidth, it's the companies in the US restricting the bandwidth to squeeze every dollar that they can out of it. Look at other countries, no one has a cap on their bandwidth, most are affordable, etc.

If that were true, why is it that it is the EU that has banned Netflix and others from streaming 4k?  Yes, the U.S. does have tech problems with internet bandwidth, but it is because of GOVT granted monopolies and regulations, and NOT  businesses.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, Bookmem said:

If that were true, why is it that it is the EU that has banned Netflix and others from streaming 4k?  Yes, the U.S. does have tech problems with internet bandwidth, but it is because of GOVT granted monopolies and regulations, and NOT  businesses.

That is not the case. If you read into it, the decision was made because Vodaphone was using  50% of their bandwidth and that is with most people working from home.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/18/vodafone-rise-data-usage-more-people-work-from-home-coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/mar/19/netflix-to-slow-europe-transmissions-to-avoid-broadband-overload#maincontent

There is no shortage of bandwidth.

I work in IT at the Enterprise level and trust me, bandwidth is not an issue.

Cluttermagnet

The more I think about this thing, the more I'm convinced we've all been had.

The destruction of our economies is needless and the destruction of our

liberties will be very difficult to reverse.

Here's one view among a growing number of 'minority reports' that are

beginning to surface. It plays with your head a little- but since we are in

the middle of a gigantic fraud anyway, I figure it makes good sense to

give contrary views an airing:

https://americanconsequences.com/the-big-lie-behind-covid-19/

Clutter

• Agree 1

sunrat
16 minutes ago, Cluttermagnet said:

The more I think about this thing, the more I'm convinced we've all been had.

The destruction of our economies is needless and the destruction of our

liberties will be very difficult to reverse.

Here's one view among a growing number of 'minority reports' that are

beginning to surface.

There are a plethora of crackpot theories out there. The disease itself is no fraud but it certainly opens up opportunities for the deep state, who actually run the world and own the governments, to reshape things for their own agendas. I have no doubt this will hasten the shift to cashless economy so the government will know everything about how everyone obtains and spends their money. Big Pharma will have a field day if (yes if) they manage to develop a vaccine and will convince the government to mandate universal use of it. They have a long history of keeping the population sicker than they need to be to maximise profit.

Dr. Mercola is a bit of a crackpot with conspiracy theories and I take some of what he says to be absolute BS especially his anti-vax stance, but he posted excerpts of an interesting interview with systems biologist Shiva Ayyadurai today that makes a lot of sense. Essential reading.

• Agree 1