V.T. Eric Layton

Coronavirus - COVID-19

securitybreach

They clearly just do not understand the definition of a pandemic.

raymac46

The NCAA is going to play March Madness with NO fans in the stands. Gong show...

• Agree 1

sunrat

I'm still going to Europe mid-April. Don't care if I die trying. D*** d4mn the torpedoes!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

They clearly just do not understand the definition of a pandemic.

It's not that they don't understand the definition of pandemic, it's that they were reluctant (along with most world governments) to actually announce it as a pandemic because of the potential to create panic.

12 hours ago, sunrat said:

I'm still going to Europe mid-April. Don't care if I die trying. D*** d4mn the torpedoes!

You've got more... umm... intestinal fortitude than I do, brother. I wouldn't go anywhere near Europe any time soon. Heck, I'm probably not going to want to be in the U.S. soon, either.

V.T. Eric Layton
14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I know who they are.

You know WHO they are? ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

WHO's on 1st? :hysterical:

Sorry... just trying to have some comic relief here. ;)

sunrat
8 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You've got more... umm... intestinal fortitude than I do, brother. I wouldn't go anywhere near Europe any time soon. Heck, I'm probably not going to want to be in the U.S. soon, either.

I was in SE Asia during the swine flu panic in 2009. It was estimated to have killed up to 575,000 people but it didn't kill me! 😜

I have some thieves oil to put on for the plane trip so I will be safe. It's called thieves oil as thieves would wear it during the plague epidemic to protect themselves when robbing the dead. Yeah I know it may be an old wives' tale but it smells nice anyway.

securitybreach

I just drown it out with alcohol

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

That's actually not a bad idea, Josh. I think I'll go do some drowning now...

e6n0JjG.png

• +1 1

raymac46

I got an email recently where the virus was called Corvid-19. Maybe it was some sort or crow, raven, or blue jay. 🤣

• Haha 3
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, sunrat said:

...so I may not be travelling anywhere now. :(

Probably a good thing, brother. You can always do it next year. :)

• Agree 1

abarbarian
On 3/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, securitybreach said:

Sounds like the WHO needs to pay attention to news.... B)

What do you mean ? Stop kicking the Brits. They already cancelled the tour.

The Who UK tour POSTPONED due to coronavirus: Roger Daltrey teases 'Last tour of its type'

The Who added: “The fans' safety is paramount and given the developing Coronavirus situation, the band felt that they had no option but to postpone the shows.

“The dates will be rescheduled for later in the year. All tickets will be honoured.”

Roger Daltrey reassured fans that the concerts will “definitely happen and it may be the last time we do a tour of this type, so keep those tickets, as the shows will be fantastic.”

While Pete Townshend admitted the band “haven't reached this decision easily, but given the concerns about public gatherings, we couldn’t go ahead.”

Blimey you Yanks, you'll be banning flights to blighty next :hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

securitybreach

:hysterical:

abarbarian
On 3/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You know WHO they are? ;)

DR-WHO-RANKED-300x169.jpg

Well we know they are all Dr's but which one is the best ?:th_0140:

• Haha 1

raymac46

We are in lockdown mode here. Kids off school, my son in law working at home. Seniors advised to self isolate. I had an optometrist appointment today but it has been postponed.

Good thing we have the Internet.

sunrat

Until recently, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated the annual mortality burden of influenza to be 250 000 to 500 000 all-cause deaths globally; however, a 2017 study indicated a substantially higher mortality burden, at 290 000-650 000 influenza-associated deaths from respiratory causes alone, and a 2019 study estimated 99 000-200 000 deaths from lower respiratory tract infections directly caused by influenza.

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

I wonder why the world doesn't go into lockdown every flu season? i think COVID-19 is just a covert scam by the deep state to sell more toilet paper.

raymac46

Well, thanks to herd immunity and flu vaccines there is less risk of community transmission. Not so with COVID-19 at this point.

abarbarian

The Spectator offers free job adverts during Covid-19 crisis

This is a crisis like no other: the economy is crashing, with bars and restaurants closing. In spite of Rishi Sunak’s offer of help, thousands have already been laid off. Many self-employed and freelancers are looking at months of uncertainty. Yet at the same time, certain parts of the economy are surging – and hiring. Grocers and supermarkets are in the news, with Tesco seeking 20,000 more workers to cope with demand. A great many smaller companies are looking to hire as the economy reorients towards serving a country in lockdown. Some of the jobs are in home delivery, but many are not.

😎

V.T. Eric Layton

I wish I could get one of those jobs, but there's no way in heck I can get out there with the sniffling, snorting, coughing younger folks to work at this time. I'm a major candidate for coronavirus. It could be deadly for me.

- I'm poor

- I'm old

- I have pre-existing health issues

- I smoke

I think I'll just stay right here in my little house with my kitty and ride this out. This ol' house has protected me and mine since 1953. I'm stocked up on the essentials: cat food, bourbon, toilet paper, etc. ;)

• +1 1

raymac46

We are also in self isolation and having the kitty around certainly makes life sweeter. The robins have come back now, and the chipmunks are out so he's always growling out the back patio door at them. Or taking a nap.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, Spring has sprung here, too. Sadly, it's a short period in Florida. It'll be summertime way too soon for me. The good news, though, is that in just 8 months it'll be much nicer. :)

securitybreach

We are in the 80s and 90s here in New Orleans.

V.T. Eric Layton

Upper 80s here today, but a slight cool down coming sometime early next week. You'll get it before I do.

• Agree 1

abarbarian

This is a very sobering article,

Work has started on a temporary mortuary at Birmingham Airport with space for up to 12,000 bodies in a worst-case scenario amid the Covid-19 outbreak.

This is a very informative article one of the most sensible I have read concerning the science surrounding this pandemic.

But what might authorities learn if people were tested randomly instead? Some early clues may be found in the tiny country of Iceland. So far, the country has tested 11,727 people—about 3.2% of its population of 364,000. It has done so in part by enlisting the country’s prized biopharma company deCODE Genetics to help tackle the crisis.

Since March 14 deCODE, a subsidiary of the California biotech giant Amgen, has offered a free coronavirus test to any Icelander, sick or healthy, who simply fills out an online form. DeCODE joined forces this month with Iceland’s public health authorities, which had been screening high-risk or sick people for the coronavirus since early February, weeks before even the first Icelander tested positive for the virus.

Until they do random testing, he says, “they do not have the faintest idea of how and why it is spreading in the society,” he says. “It is as simple as that.”

Stefánsson says that when Iceland began testing people in February, it expected to find infections among those who had returned from skiing trips to the Alps during the winter vacation, because an outbreak was then beginning in Italy and France’s Alpine region. Indeed, public health authorities did find infected vacationers. But Iceland also found a cluster of infections among people who had returned from England, as well as one from the U.S.—each of which presented with a separate mutation of the coronavirus. “As of yesterday, we have sequences for about 380 viruses,” Stefánsson says. The company plans to release the data on those mutations in the form of public databases this week.

DeCODE—and Iceland in general—is in an exceedingly rare position in its ability to analyze its findings on the coronavirus, and perhaps detect what makes some people more susceptible to infection and illness. That could be hugely valuable for scientists as they race to develop treatments and vaccines, and try to stave off any future coronavirus outbreak.

😎

• Like 1

abarbarian

Europe Wasn’t Ready for Coronavirus. It May Never Fully Recover. 

Think things are bad where you live ----- think your leaders are barking mad ------ well things are just as bad here too,

"In early March, Spain’s Communist government was focused on passing its aberrant “sexual freedom law.” "

"on March 2nd, the big issue in Switzerland was a referendum to pass a law banning any comments or attitudes against gay-friendly policies."

"It was around those days that the Dutch government announced a bill that would allow the euthanasia of any elderly person “tired of living.”"

"The last we heard from Holland is that the official channels are telling people: “Don’t bring weak patients and old people to hospital.” Looks like they’re only interested in saving the lives of young people. I guess they’re more photogenic and look better on postcards of tulip fields."

"Also during the first week of March, almost the entire European press devoted rivers of ink to discussing whether two transgender athletes should compete in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics as men or women. "

"In Germany, at the beginning of March, the controversy that dominated the nation was whether to erect a huge statue of Lenin in a small North Rhineland town."

"As the pandemic began to spread dramatically, the main debate in Scotland was the imperative need for a new government law to provide free tampons and sanitary pads."

"On March 10, with 118,100 diagnosed and 4,262 dead from coronavirus in Europe, the U.N. held a press conference . . . to commit to the political and economic fight against the climate emergency! "

"But probably the most vile reaction has been that of the Social Communist government in Spain, which encouraged Spaniards to participate massively in the March 8 feminist rallies, the next day hiding reports that the coronavirus was already out of control in the country "

"Now Calvo is recovering from coronavirus, as are most of the members of government who took part in the demonstrations. "

"Something similar happened in France, where president Emmanuel Macron closed bars and discos but refused to suspend the March 15 elections. "

"We now know that neither Germany nor France is counting the deaths from coronavirus that occur outside of hospitals, and that the Germans don’t call it “death from coronavirus” if the patient had a previous illness."

These are all actions performed by folk who are supposedly well educated --- makes you think eh.

😎

• Like 1

abarbarian

Coronavirus can stick to surfaces for up to three daysNew England Journal of Medicine study cites decay rate of the virus

On copper, testing shows the virus lasts no longer than 8 hours. On cardboard, no sign of a virus was measured after 24 hours, with another test showing decay after 8 hours.

“The longest viability of both (test) viruses was on stainless steel and plastic,” the Journal study stated, with the virus gone in 5.6 hours on stainless steel and 6.8 hours on plastic.

The study warns: “The virus can remain viable and infectious in aerosols for hours and on surfaces up to days.” That means someone sneezing or coughing can contaminate a room.

A good quality and informative article. 😎

• Like 1

zlim

We have stainless steel counters in the kitchen. We are always spraying and wiping them then throwing away the paper towels and Washing our hands.

We also wipe down the outside packaging of groceries brought into our home because you don't know who touched the packages.

We also have always taken off our shoes in the mud room before we come into the house but we've also now been wiping the soles of the shoes. If someone coughs or sneezes in the grocery store, the floor could contain germs.

It probably seems like too much to a younger person but we are in our 70's and my husband has underlying health issues so we are within bull's eye range for this.

• Agree 2

Bookmem
4 hours ago, zlim said:

We have stainless steel counters in the kitchen. We are always spraying and wiping them then throwing away the paper towels and Washing our hands.

We also wipe down the outside packaging of groceries brought into our home because you don't know who touched the packages.

We also have always taken off our shoes in the mud room before we come into the house but we've also now been wiping the soles of the shoes. If someone coughs or sneezes in the grocery store, the floor could contain germs.

It probably seems like too much to a younger person but we are in our 70's and my husband has underlying health issues so we are within bull's eye range for this.

I'm 80 and have mild emphyzema, so I know what you mean by being extra careful.  I live in a ten story apt bldg for the elderly, and I won't even get in the elevator with someone else, if I can help it.  I won't be impolite and get off if someone else gets on, but I'll wait for the next on if someone is already on before me.  Also, I sold a laptop the other day.  Had the buyer place the envelope with the cash in a plastic bag I handled with an alcohol wipe and then put the cash in the oven, set to 200 f, and left it there for 45 minutes.😷 It feels paranoid but I think being a little paranoid today isn't such a bad thing.

• Agree 1