The Happy Snaps thread

sunrat

Cluttermagnet

Just discovered this thread. Enjoyed going slowly through all

the great photos. Keep 'em coming, guys...

Clutter

Cluttermagnet

I visited Ottawa briefly as a kid, 7-9 years old. Don't remember the exact year.

Late 1950's...

We stayed at the Chateau Laurier. Rode the train. They had an indoor pool

in the basement, I got to take a swim. Pretty cool experience, as best I

remember it...

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet

DSCN0035.jpg

This is the old Ottawa train station with the Chateau Laurier in the background. Right now the main Parliament building is closed for a 10 year renovation, so the Canadian Senate is meeting in the old station hall.

• Like 3
  • +1 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, raymac46 said:

DSC_1684-scaled.jpg

A chilly but bright day in Almonte. Not a lot of snow yet this winter.

Nice to have some snow and ice around for a few weeks. I hardly ever get any here in Sth Wales, we had our first frost covering the fields this morning but it has already disapeared. Oh well at least it is a blue sky sunny day  😎

We have had some very cold temps the last couple days but today it will be back close to or slightly above freezing. Then down again.

This year we have had hardly any snow in comparison with other years.

DSCF0724-scaled.jpg

This is what it looked like in December 2007.

• Like 1

I'll have to track down my pictures from the blizzard where we had 25"/63.5cm of snow in about 28 hours.

Meanwhile, a summer shot. Here is a picture of a praying mantis eating a spotted lantern fly on the side of our house. (Spotted lantern fly is an invasive species from China that was first spotted in our county. It has hit vineyards and orchards badly. It is also moving into other states.) https://planetprinceton.com/2020/08/21/the-spotted-lanternfly-10-tips-for-getting-rid-of-the-destructive-pest/

We have one tree that it like, a Maple. We wrap the tree in a special sticky tape and have the tree sprayed once a month if we see any insects near the top because it is too tall for us to reach.

49ccb11322670083.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

BRRRRRRR!

For the last decade or so, I've been going to my uncle's Christmas Eve party in shorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and flip-flops. It looks like this Christmas may be the first actual cold one in quite some time. I don't think I'll be in shorts and flip-flops that day. ;)

7day.jpg

37F on Christmas morning! BRRRRRRRRRRR! This Florida boy's blood is too thin for that kind of cold. ☃️

• Like 1

Haha, we have 27° predicted here for Xmas day. That's Celsius so 80°F for those who live in a country which still uses legacy units of measurement.  😁

Now excuse me while I go for a swim in the outdoor pool. 🏊‍♂️🌞

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, but the 21st of December is your longest day of the year (summer in the Southern Hemisphere). That ol' sun will start shifting and the days will get shorter. Next thing you know, it'll be the depth of wintertime for you folks somewhere around 21 June.

What's that Celsius thing, anyway? You foreigners uses some strange terms sometimes. ;)

11 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

What's that Celsius thing, anyway? You foreigners uses some strange terms sometimes. ;)

Celsius scale uses the freezing point of water at sea level as zero and boiling point as 100 degrees. As opposed to Fahrenheit which doesn't seem to relate to anything logical. 🤣

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Sometimes, Roger... you miss my obvious sarcasm. I, of course, am quite aware of the different temperature scales (Centigrade, Celcius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin, etc.), but having been born and raised and educated in this backward ex-colony of Great Britain, I just cannot get to where I like using kilometers or liters or other weird things like that. I much prefer to stick with comfortable measuring units I'm used to... giraffes, tons-a-sh*t, fat cats, little whiles, longer whiles, justa' sec, wee tads, and such. ;)

Canada is a weird place where you measure driving distances and weather in metric, but building materials in Imperial measures. No problem as I have been using the metric system in science for close to 60 years now. :happyroll:

• +1 1