Levels of a Linux User

raymac46

V.T. Eric Layton

Off topic, but speaking of Vikings...

Erik, I just finished reading two books on our ancestors from the North. You might be interested in giving them a go. They were very enlightening; purged all the mythical BS and stuck mostly to the known facts.

Northmen: The Viking Saga, 793-1241 AD

by

Beyond the Northlands: Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas

by

Lots of looting, pillaging, bloody encounters with non-Northmen, sea adventures, COLD weather, HOT blood!

Enjoy! :)
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Erik, I just finished reading two books on our ancestors from the North. You might be interested in giving them a go. They were very enlightening; purged all the mythical BS and stuck mostly to the known facts.

by

by

Lots of looting, pillaging, bloody encounters with non-Northmen, sea adventures, COLD weather, HOT blood!

Very cool. I'll have to add it to my queue of audiobooks. I generally go throughout a book every two weeks. I listen on my commute to and from work, on my workouts and when I go out to the park on the weekends. We have a massive 1200 acre park in the city called City Park with tons of nature stuff.

• Agree 1

securitybreach
Just now, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Not sure you'll find those in audio book versions. Ya' never know till you look, I guess. :)

It's very easy to find them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

by John Haywood

and

by Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough

Thanks for the links they look like interesting reading.

I once ran a one man tour operation and called it Bloodaxe Tours. I was based in York at the time and the Jorvik Center had recently been opened so I cashed in on all the Erik Bloodaxe promotions they were running.

https://www.jorvikvikingcentre.co.uk/about/jorvik-story/

😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach
3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Thanks for the links they look like interesting reading.

I once ran a one man tour operation and called it Bloodaxe Tours. I was based in York at the time and the Jorvik Center had recently been opened so I cashed in on all the Erik Bloodaxe promotions they were running.

https://www.jorvikvikingcentre.co.uk/about/jorvik-story/

😎

That's pretty cool, thanks for the post.

Back to the first few posts:  I'm level 9, simply because nothing I do requires anything but FOSS. When you get old, your needs simplify.

• Like 1

securitybreach
19 minutes ago, ebrke said:

Back to the first few posts:  I'm level 9, simply because nothing I do requires anything but FOSS. When you get old, your needs simplify.

So no gaming (need nvidia  or radeon).

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't actually game on Linux, yet I still run Nvidia because I find that the graphics performance of my Nvidia card is soooo much better in Linux using the proprietary drivers than the generics.

19 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Well noveau is kind of garbage.

That depends what graphics card you have and what you do with it. Nouveau works fine for my older system with GTX 560 Ti, but I use Nvidia drivers for my other system with GTX 970.

securitybreach
1 minute ago, sunrat said:

That depends what graphics card you have and what you do with it. Nouveau works fine for my older system with GTX 560 Ti, but I use Nvidia drivers for my other system with GTX 970.

Well in their defense, they have to reverse engineer everything as nvidia doesn't  contribute at all.

• Like 1

I have a GTX950 card in my oldest desktop but I haven't bothered to add the NVIDIA drivers at all. The machine is only used to play music, and I have MX-18 installed which doesn't put much of a graphics load on the system.

On 3/6/2020 at 12:36 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't actually game on Linux, yet I still run Nvidia because I find that the graphics performance of my Nvidia card is soooo much better in Linux using the proprietary drivers than the generics.

I am surprised that you do not play your favourite game on linux as it gets a Platinum rating on the Proton database.

https://www.protondb.com/app/4500

:w00tx100:

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't game on Linux because I ONLY play my own installed games on my machines. And it would be a big PITA to run them in VB or some other virtual environment within Slackware... and performance would suffer. I play on my crippled MS Windows system with about 35,000fps frame rate, so NO STUTTER at all. I'm happy.

securitybreach
20 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't game on Linux because I ONLY play my own installed games on my machines. And it would be a big PITA to run them in VB or some other virtual environment within Slackware... and performance would suffer. I play on my crippled MS Windows system with about 35,000fps frame rate, so NO STUTTER at all. I'm happy.

He is talking about playing the exact same game on linux natively using steam+proton. Plus, most window's games perform better on linux due to the lack of overhead.

2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

He is talking about playing the exact same game on linux natively using steam+proton. Plus, most window's games perform better on linux due to the lack of overhead.

Not only Steam. There is also GOG.com where all the games are DRM free and downloadable and playable off line.

https://www.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=popularity

2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I'm happy.

Phew that's a relief. 😎

• +1 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:50 AM, securitybreach said:

Check out Genymotion

Or  use scrcpy to display and control your Android device from your computer.

Gennymotion might be great but it cost over $10/mo.  No thanks.  Not when Memu for Windows is free and works great.  Still a level 6.

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't play standard (popular) games. I ONLY play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games these days, and the one in particular that I play regularly is HEAVILY modded... can't do that on Steam.

securitybreach
57 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't play standard (popular) games. I ONLY play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games these days, and the one in particular that I play regularly is HEAVILY modded... can't do that on Steam.

Yes, you can mod games on steam using their own app (steamlab) or you can edit them in the games configuration directory just like you do now. There is literally no difference in modding a game.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Well, then... waaaaaay too much work involved for me to start gaming in Linux. It works fine for me in Windows. I don't care to take the time to fix what ain't broke.

Thanks for the info, anyway.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

I run only Linux at home. I might use "non-free" software at times but I prefer not to.

I'm happy that I've been able to go Linux-only at home, but I'd try running Windows in a VM in Linux, or else I'd run Windows on its own computer, if I really needed that OS, like for the job or something.

• Agree 1

Guest Mauser

I am a Level 8 Linux user. I use free software when I can, but when it doesn't work I will use non-free software as long as it works. I donate when I can.

• 1 year later...

I have upped my level and now consider meslf to be LEVEL= 8.5. As I have now installed and run this,

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/96490-scrcpy-a-tool-to-display-and-control-android-devices-from-your-desktop/&tab=comments#comment-462586

an am due to use it in real life. I have to attend a Driver Awerness Course as a result of the accident. Due to Covid they are not running for real and are all on line. This means that I have to use my phone, which I am not really up on, or use a pc with a webcam, which I do not have. So I am going to use scrcpy as so far in my testing it works well for what I will need.

😎

• +1 1

securitybreach

Well I havent used  scrcpt in a year or so but it does work very well. I was using it to play a billiards game against others online and I was dominating due to being able to use a mouse to aim...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

securitybreach
3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I have upped my level and now consider meslf to be LEVEL= 8.5. As I have now installed and run this,

Well you know how it goes.. the more you learn, the more you realize what you do not know. Some may consider me to be proficient in linux but I really do not think I know that much and I should know more than I do.

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Some may consider me to be proficient in linux but I really do not think I know that much and I should know more than I do.

Same here.

Although, I DO know enough to not ride my motorcycle up someone's tailpipe. ;)

2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Although, I DO know enough to not ride my motorcycle up someone's tailpipe. ;)

Oh I know that fact. However knowing and doing are two separate things. 😎

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1