Internet Users by Country: 1990-2019

V.T. Eric Layton

34 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

China really left the US in the dust..

Depends how you look at it. China still has more than the entire population of the US not on the internet.

I noticed Australia was up high in the early years then dropped down rapidly. Then we only have ~25 million residents. We also have about the 47th best internet in the world now due to our stupid government deciding to ditch the progressive plan of  fibre to every home which the previous government planned in favour of  a hodgepodge mix of cable, reusing copper phone lines and only run fibre if you pay thousands of dollars for an individual connection. This has ended up costing way more than the all fibre plan. Sorry I rant about this every time it comes up but it pisses me off immensely.

D*** naughty word filter. It used to block too many words which are in common usage and are less naughty than a cute puppy.

That p word is what I'd say to my doctor if we're talking about liquid waste disposal. And it still blocks d4mn which was never ever a naughty word.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

That's interesting. I just checked the EXTENSIVE naughty word filters that came with the new board software. They are all enabled and should be filtering, and yes... pissing is on the list. And yet???

Doesn't worry me, they're just words and we hear most of them regularly on TV anyway (after 8.30pm here). You should hear how many f-bombs there are on Shaun Micallef's Mad As **** *H3ll*, a hilarious and biting political satire show. And of course on the No.86 tram between my place and the city. :D

You'd have to be pretty thin-skinned to even raise an eyebrow these days. The real rudeness comes from when they are used in a nasty or abusive context, and many non-blocked words are pretty cutting when used in certain contexts.

edit - holy crap, it wouldn't even let me write the name of the TV show! Mad As ****. 😠

V.T. Eric Layton
4 minutes ago, sunrat said:

The real rudeness comes from when they are used in a nasty or abusive context, and many non-blocked words are pretty cutting when used in certain contexts.

Yes. I agree here. Usage makes the difference. Unfortunately, there's no AI running this board to decide if usage is acceptable, so it's and across-the-board ban.

I nearly blushed when reading some of the works on that naught word list here. Well, OK... not really. I haven't blushed since I was 12, but there were some pretty NAUGHTY words on that list. ☢️

V.T. Eric Layton

Actually, yes... ass is on the list. This is weird. I wonder why they're not being filtered. I don't think it's because we're staff. It sure likes to filter the more naughtier versions of heck and darn.

ass noun (ANIMAL)

a donkey

ass noun (STUPID PERSON)
a stupid person:
a pompous ****

ass noun (BOTTOM)
[ C ] mainly US offensive
(UK arse)
the part of the body that you sit on

Of course in Australia we use the UK spelling for meaning #3. Having the US spelling as a naughty word is just silly to us. The internet is polluting our spelling fairly quickly though. Same as it is polluting many other aspects of life. 🙄

Edit a minute later - Now that's really weird. It censored the word in the second meaning after I hit the post button but left the others. :hmm:

securitybreach
1 hour ago, sunrat said:
Now that's really weird. It censored the word in the second meaning after I hit the post button but left the others. :hmm:

Yeah, that is really odd for sure :unsure:

V.T. Eric Layton

The naughty word list is set up as phrases/usage, also. You may be able to post "piss", but you probably cannot post "piss off, mate".