fifteen years

saturnian

3 hours ago, saturnian said:

By the way, anyone remember SalineOS? It was based on Stable and it shipped with Xfce; as I recall, it came along before MX did. I enjoyed running it for a while but with only one dev the project was never gonna make it for very long.

Probably too salty for most people.

• Haha 1

Here's an old DW review of SalineOS 1.6: https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120227#feature

I think I started with 1.0. I had the distro installed here for at least a year, maybe a couple of years. Then the developer was going in some directions with 2.0 that I didn't care for, and I think the project was ended before 2.0 was finalized. But I liked the earlier versions. And I liked how he released 1.0, based on Squeeze, soon after the Testing freeze, rather than several months after it went to Stable -- that was attractive to me, and I like to install from Debian Testiing a few weeks after the freeze now.

Edited by saturnian
wrong link

Seems that I have been fooling around with penguins since 2008. I must have had plenty of free time back then. Here is an extract from one of my earliest posts over at the other place I frequent.

One thing to remember about the following walkthroughs is that I have only been playing linux for 3 months or so and had never typed any commands in DOS or a Konsole before I started to play . So this will be a little bit like the blind leading the blind especially if you are a newbie like me to linux playing .

Naughty me I used the "n" word tsk tsk.

It seems I started my linux experience with Edubuntu which I found to be ok but I remember that I was frustrated by not being able to move the task bar around. I was running Windows XP with Rocket Dock which did everything I wanted easily but could not manage to make my Edubuntu behave in the same way. So the hunt was on and I found this excellent offering and enthusiastically posted a walkthrough,

Kanotix 2007 Thorhammer Rc7

An before you ask , No I did not choose this distro just because of the name . I spent many hours researching before making my choice .

Kanotix is a linux distro from the Live CD class . This means that it is designed to run from a cd and can be run on any pc without affecting the host operating system . This type of linux distro is an ideal way for a begginer to try out linux for the first time . You can also load Kanotix to your hard drive or usb stick and this has several advantages , more about this later on .

My experience with Gnome on Edubuntu was the prime motivator in finding a non Gnome os and Kanotix filled that need and it also had a pretty helpful web site too. As I spent a great deal of time hunting up information and tips to help me understand this wonderful world of penguins I kept hearing about this wonderful KDE stuff. I fell for the claims made in the articles on the latest and greatest world changing software. My desktop would shimmer and dazzle the beholder, my productivity would increase tenfold with the new and intuitive programs and dock apps so easily that I would be amazed and captivated by the brilliance of KDE.

So I dived straight in and installed Mandriva Free and made a walkthrough,

Mandriva Free Spring 2008 64 Bit OS

Having played around briefly with several linux OS's and liking what I have found I have chosen to play with Mandriva for a while .
As I am running a AMD 64 bit cpu I wanted to make full use of its talents . After all I did pay good money for it so it seems a waste not to use it to its full capability .Looking around for a 64 bit os narrowed the field quite a lot . Windows wanted bagfulls of loot for their offerings XP and Vista . I may have been tempted by 64 bit XP but there was no way I would pay Microsoft for Vista 64 bit . Another of putting point about going the Microsoft route is that to make use of a 64 bit os I would need to buy 64 bit software , as I have not won the lottery lately I decided to pass up the opportunity to contribute to Bill's pension fund Looking at the linux offerings I came across the Mandriva Free Spring 2008 64 Bit version .This distribution had a few decent write ups and some good walkthroughs on some of its older distros which I hoped would be of help to me as I tried out the latest version of Mandriva .

Well that good old KDE stuff certainly did amaze me and my desktop did shimmer not only on the 2008 but the 2009 and 2010 versions too.. However after struggling along with the above version of KDE and the next two versions I realised that the promotional articles were of much better quality than the product. Every time I switched on the pc and tried an update it seemed that there was a small glitch in a program and I spent hour after hour tracking down ways to correct or get around the problem. Not helped by the fact that this was new stuff and folks had not had a chance to play with let alone find solutions to any glitches.

I very nearly gave up on the penguins but the blue screen of death kept on making an appearance on my XP. Had I mentioned that I had figured out a way to dual boot. It was one of our members here, this is one of his helpful posts to me,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/partitioning-problem-in-linux.3515600/

But... but... eh...

From the three you then use one
To make ten ones...
(And you know why four plus minus one
Plus ten is fourteen minus one?
'Cause addition is commutative, right.)
And so you have thirteen tens,
And you take away seven,
And that leaves five...

Well, six actually.
But the idea is the important thing.

Now go back to the hundreds place,
And you're left with two.
And you take away one from two,
And that leaves...?

Everybody get one?
Not bad for the first day!

Being a FInn he did kindly supply a translation,

Translation: Easier to rescue the crown jewels, wipe, repartition to you liking, reinstall... and you're back in business. Gonna take an hour or two. Sorry.

Anyways this fine and very helpful chap suggested I joined the Highlanders over here at Scots and after a while here I ended up installing Arch linux,

He he anarchy rules !!! 

I'm posting this from my new Arch 64 install with Slim login and E17 desktop and Namoraka browser :happyroll: Ain't I a clever chappy :harhar: It only took me two full days and nights :hysterical: ;) :hysterical: :hysterical:Would have been quicker but half the symbols have worn of me keyboard and I found it impossible to type with the mouse :bangin:

As you can see I have not had your typical new user experience which may explain why I am happily using Arch along with Window Maker.

Thanks to all here at Scots who have helped me along the way.

😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach

Very cool Abarbarian :thumbup:

Speaking of....

Another of putting point about going the Microsoft route is that to make use of a 64 bit os I would need to buy 64 bit software , as I have not won the lottery lately I decided to pass up the opportunity to contribute to Bill's pension fund

64bit is backwards compatible so all of your 32bit software would of worked just fine ;)

11 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Very cool Abarbarian :thumbup:

Speaking of....

64bit is backwards compatible so all of your 32bit software would of worked just fine ;)

Yup but it would not make full use of the kit which was what I was after. Not that I do much with me pc 😂

• Like 1

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Yup but it would not make full use of the kit which was what I was after. Not that I do much with me pc 😂

I get it but I have to point out things like this, it's a disease of the mind.... B)

• Agree 1