SD Cards

raymac46

securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

Lots of cat lovers here. Does that show our intelligence? 😎

Perhaps or maybe it's the Cat's intelligence.

• Like 1

I wonder how intelligent I am when I try to decipher all the stuff on an SD Card. Or is that SDHC or SDXC?

Capacity is measured in base 10 rather than base 2 so 64GB is really 59.7 GB.

Read speed is reading from the card.

Write speed is writing to the card.

C10 and U3 are different write speeds but both can appear on the card.

633X is a comparison to the oldest CD-ROM you can have.

UHS can refer to speed and type of design at the same time.

And don't even get me started on V30.

Based on all this info I probably got WAAY more card than I need but since each one cost me about $12 US I'm not too worried about it.

Edited by raymac46

Ray, if you know the difference between base 10 and base 2, you are way more intelligent than most people I see posting who complain that the hard drive only shows x amount of capacity when they bought y amount of capacity. Try to explain and I can picture the eyes glazing over. I stop and say, that's correct, you didn't get robbed.

As far as sd cards, you can never have too much storage. I was looking for a card to store slides I had scanned. I wrote them to two data CDs; there was just too much to fit on one CD. As I priced the cards, I decided to buy USB sticks instead because they were so much cheaper than the cards.

I have movies stored on sd cards because 3 of our netbooks have sd slots and it is way easier to carry a case of sd cards than it is to carry DVDs!

The tablets take micro sd cards so I've moved some to those. I also store books I've downloaded from https://www.fadedpage.com/ to a micro  sd card.

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Lots of cat lovers here. Does that show our intelligence? 😎

Not necessarily. It does however demonstrate how smart the cats are for picking us to be their servants/minions. ;)

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
Just now, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Not necessarily. It does however demonstrate how smart the cats are for picking us to be their servants/minions. ;)

Yes! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zlim said:

Ray, if you know the difference between base 10 and base 2, you are way more intelligent than most people I see posting who complain that the hard drive only shows x amount of capacity when they bought y amount of capacity. Try to explain and I can picture the eyes glazing over. I stop and say, that's correct, you didn't get robbed.

As far as sd cards, you can never have too much storage. I was looking for a card to store slides I had scanned. I wrote them to two data CDs; there was just too much to fit on one CD. As I priced the cards, I decided to buy USB sticks instead because they were so much cheaper than the cards.

I have movies stored on sd cards because 3 of our netbooks have sd slots and it is way easier to carry a case of sd cards than it is to carry DVDs!

The tablets take micro sd cards so I've moved some to those. I also store books I've downloaded from https://www.fadedpage.com/ to a micro  sd card.

I have bookmarked the free book site. It looks great. When it comes to binary there are 10 types of people...those who understand it and those who do not. 🤣

• +1 1

securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

20190915_165858-e1568641716328.jpg

This guy is plenty smart, believe me. That is my computer chair he's hogging.

Pretty Kitty

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHAHA! I'm laughing about your cat, Ray, because my Bootsie will jump in this chair even if I'm only gone for a minute to refill my coffee. Oh, the look I get when I come back and have to shoo her out of the chair. ;)

11 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

HAHAHAHA! I'm laughing about your cat, Ray, because my Bootsie will jump in this chair even if I'm only gone for a minute to refill my coffee. Oh, the look I get when I come back and have to shoo her out of the chair. ;)

Mr Spooky does the same which in this cold weather is great as he keeps  my seat warm for me. 😎

• Like 1

Just to sum up, the SD cards I currently have in my cameras are more than sufficient for my needs and even give me some future proofing.

• Transfer speeds are more than adequate for USB 3 and my main desktop uses USB 2. Still plenty fast.
  • Storage capacity allows me an insane amount of images. I shoot JPG not RAW so the file sizes are smaller.
  • Neither one of my cameras supports 4K video - not that I care - so I have plenty of write speed.
  • Write speed from the camera buffer for burst mode still photography is fine as well.

I have about the fastest UHS-1 technology you can get and the cameras don't support UHS-2 so I think I am good to go.