SD Cards

raymac46

I can't think of anything more boring in digital photography than the memory storage cards you put in the camera. That said I am upgrading the ones in my DSLR and travel zoom.

I'm replacing the old slow SD cards with new Lexar 64GB Pro ones from Amazon. I do most of my shooting in JPEG format and neither camera is capable of 4K video, so these cards are overkill for my use. However the two of them cost me around $35 Canadian - no point in going cheaper.

These are old school UHS-1 cards but that's all my cameras will support. As UHS-2 becomes more popular, the older cards continue to drop in cost. Right now a 64GB card seems to offer the best value. And it is comforting to turn on your camera and see you have 12000 available images before the card is full. 😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

I can't think of anything more boring in digital photography than the memory storage cards you put in the camera.

They may be boring, but then again, that may be a good thing. I remember early digital cameras where you were stuck with the fixed amount of memory they came with from the factory. If you filled the memory up (which didn't take long), the only way to take more pictures was to delete some in memory. 

"Boring" suggests the same old routine. I think in this case, that's a good thing! ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh... a friend of mine has an old Sony digital camera (very high quality B&W only) that actually has a slot on the side for a 1.44Mb floppy disk. I still think that camera his COOL as heck. It still works, too.

Similar to this one...

torme0q.jpg

• Like 2

I wasn't really an early adopter of digital, getting a Canon Powershot A60 back in 2003. That camera came with a 16 MB Compact Flash storage card. If I recall correctly I could get about 12 images on it. I think I later upgraded to a 64 MB CF card and then I was laughing. I could take the equivalent of 2 rolls of film before I had to empty the card. 😍

• Like 1

My first digital camera, an HP Photosmart 320, came as a bonus to a printer I bought in 2003. It is my favorite. It has a viewfinder which helped in Alaska trying to take pictures of glaciers. The newer camera's LCD display was so faint, we were never sure what we were shooting. We ended up shooting lots of pictures just to be sure we got one with what we wanted. I ended up giving that camera away and found another with a viewfinder.

That HP camera only allows up to 256MB card and not high speed. I have a spare card because you can't buy old technology. The LCD display quit right after August 2011. I remember because I shot pictures of the house when we had 4 trees crash down on our roof and used that camera to show the damage and the progress of the workers putting tarps on the roof and removing a tree limb that punctured the roof. When I went to view them later, the screen was fuzzy. Thank goodness for the viewfinder because I can still use the camera to shoot pictures.

The sd card slot is easy to get to, unlike the newer cameras.

Now , I take more pictures with the tablet and smart phone than the digital cameras.

I actually have one of those Sony's above tucked away in a store room some where - along with an old Polaroid and a 35mm Yashica. I bet the batteries are all corroded over. :(

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

My first digital camera is the same one I still use. It's a little Sony Cyber-shot DSCW560. Looks like this:

Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-W570-digital-camera-

Works like a champ! :)

My brother bought it for me one Christmas a few years back. It took this pic...

31Q2iCD.png

Yup... short hair, neatly-trimmed beard, et. al. That was a few years back (2011 or so). I'm not as pretty these days and the beard/hair are much grayer and bushier/longer. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Digerati said:

I actually have one of those Sony's above tucked away in a store room some where - along with an old Polaroid and a 35mm Yashica. I bet the batteries are all corroded over. :(

My very first 35mm film camera was a Yashica Electro M5. Took a lot of photos with it between 1970 and 1982. Then I got a Nikon FE.

This is a photo of the Tower of London taken in May 1981 with the Yashica.

Tower81.jpg

Edited by raymac46

My two SD cards were delivered and I installed them, moving my old cards to the camera bag for backup. According to the exposure counter I can take 12,300 images with the travel zoom and around 7500 on the Nikon DSLR. That is an insane amount of course. Nobody would leave that many images on a card without backing up.

Right now my entire digital collection (17 years worth) takes up about 80GB and has about 36000 files. And yes it's backed up more than once.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
9 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Wow! What a great shot. Beautiful

Yeah, that is a good pic of me... er, wait... you were talking about Ray's picture.

Nevermind.

;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Today's smartphones can take great pics if you go for a really top end model. They make it easy to share photos on social media too. About the only thing they can't do (yet) is take good telephoto images.

Since a lot of my vacations are spent aboard ship I want that capability. Plus after all these years I can handle a camera better than a smartphone.

It's hard to get telephoto in a phone because of the need to keep it thin and light. Even my travel zoom has to have a small sensor to accomplish it. In order to have a huge telephoto on a normal camera with a film sized sensor you need something that is 2 feet long, weighs 10 lbs and costs $10K. Look at the stuff the pro sports photographers carry around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040X4PTK/ref=dp_cerb_2

Edited by raymac46

Yes it looks like a pretty nice camera for a smartphone. My Samsung A50 can do wide angle but the only way to get telephoto is to crop out part of the image.

• Like 1

I was out early this morning to take some photos of the cold and snow. The transfer to the card from the camera wasn't appreciably different, but the card sure does move the photos to the computer fast.

• Like 1