My SSDs - the good, the bad, and the ugly

sunrat

Sorry don't find that funny as I know autotune couldn't fix that voice. It does have its limits. I suspect that woman is really a good singer and just faked the screeching bit. Plus the guy is just pushing random buttons that aren't actually doing anything.

For what autotune actually does, and why many pop songs sound generically similar vocally, check out some Autotune the News videos. Autotune has improved a lot since those videos were made, and can be used more artistically (listen to Kacey Musgraves' Golden Hour album, Grammy album of the year 2019) it still can't fix awful. 

• Like 1

Of course, everything you said is true, sunrat, but I find it hilarious.  I'm the guy in the vocal booth, but you and I know that Autotune doesn't "correct" like that.  Therefore, it must be the sound man, right?!  LOL!  I see it as a parody of sorts.  I have definitely seen "crappy bands" who sounded amazing, due to the sound guy.  I have also seen amazing musicians who sounded horrible, presumably due to the sound guy.  Conclusion....the sound guy is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the show, as he can make or break the band.  To me, it stands to reason that the best sound men in the world can make the worst singers in the world sound like hit records.  The guy in the video must be one of those dudes?!  Someday, I hope to meet one of those sound men....

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, sunrat said:

My Linux installations on Samsung 850 EVO 500GB started getting catastrophic filesystem corruption. They would refuse to boot fully but recovered at first after fsck. After several boots they would not work at all. I suspected SSD failure but SMART extended test passed albeit CRC error count increased with subsequent checks. CRC errors can be bad connection or cable.

So I took the easy way out, perfect excuse to buy a new 1TB WD Blue nVME M2. I multiboot Win 10 so first downloaded the latest 1909 installer. DON"T DO THIS. My prior one was 1803 and MS have managed to make the process more tooth-pullingly excruciating. It is now impossible to set up without creating an MS account. Maybe can with a key but I didn't have this handy and was going to activate later. Ended up with 2 accounts, the MS one and a local one I created later. :(  Also there seems to be more "have fries with that" rubbish to wade through. So I spent several hours installing and tweaking but finally decided to restore an old backup image from a couple of months ago. Much better!

On with Debian Buster and AVLinux, both restored from Clonezilla images but given extra 10GB each because I could. Several more hours of pain trying to boot. chrooted into Debian to reinstall and update GRUB without success, "No EFI boot partition found". Tried rEFInd but couldn't complete boot there either. Eventually a lightbulb appeared in my head and subsequent edit of fstab to put correct ESP and swap UUIDs and we are away and all seems good now. :D

Have yet to plug in the old SSD maybe with a different SATA cable to see if that's all it was. Watch this space...

I have had such bad luck trying to use SSDs for the OS, that I've quit trying.  They claim they should last years, but it seems to me that, particularly with journaling partitions, that some portions of the drive get written to so often that they fail much sooner than HDDs.  And, other than bootup time, a box with enough RAM, doesn't seem to be a lot slower with an HDD.  Of course, your experience may differ.

Edited by Bookmem

42 minutes ago, Bookmem said:

I have had such bad luck trying to use SSDs for the OS, that I've quit trying.  They claim they should last years, but it seems to me that, particularly with journaling partitions, that some portions of the drive get written to so often that they fail much sooner than HDDs.  And, other than bootup time, a box with enough RAM, doesn't seem to be a lot slower with an HDD.  Of course, your experience may differ.

My experience does differ. As I mentioned earlier, the issue that prompted this thread was caused by a bad cable or loose connection after moving the box in the car for a location recording. New cable and SSD seems to be fully functional.

My first SSD was an OCZ Vertex2 120GB which is still working well and has 56,481 power-on hours. I'm currently on the machine in which it is the system drive. It has always had swap, browser cache, temp etc. on it; all those things that used to be recommended not to put on SSD. 😁 It's now 9 years old and wasn't top end or highly rated when I bought it, just what I could afford at the time.

• Like 1