I am new here

Guest Mauser

Hello, I am new here using MX Linux 19. My computing history is tried using a Tandy computer in the early 1980's but I could never get it to work since I could never figure out the command line interface even still today. I have some commands saved for a few things. All the rest I ask for commands, then copy & paste. I have been successfully using PC's since 2000. My first, second, and third try with Linux was back in 2000 which didn't go to well with Corell, Mandrake, and Red Hat. I gave Linux an other try back in September 2015 after I read the Microsoft E.U.L.A. of Windows 10 and I have been using Linux ever since.

MX-Linux-2.jpg

Hi Mauser there are a couple of pretty experienced folk here that run or tinker with MX linux so you are in good company. In MX you have chosen a very stable operating system and you really should have no problems running it. I have used MX as a backup on my second pc and as a live distro on a usb stick for the 2015,2016,2017,2018 and now the 2019 versions.

Welcome and have fun in penguin land. 😎

• Like 2

Welcome. I use MX-19 on one old laptop and MX-18 on an old desktop. MX Linux has a GUI for just about everything so if you do not want to use the CLI you should be OK.

There is more than one accomplished CLI user here who should be able to help out if you need it. And many of us are experienced Debian folks. There is a friendly attitude here as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach

Hey Mauser. Welcome to the forums, glad to have you here. 👍

As far as linux, most of us are long time linux users who enjoy helping others out with it. Personally, I mostly only use terminal applications so I can help you with most things terminal related. As others have pointed out, you really do not need to use the terminal if you do not want to but some us prefer terminal over graphical things.

Feel free to post any issues you have or just general Linux things. :)

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey, Mauser!

Finally good to see you here. For you other folks here, a little explanation is in order...

I ran into Mauser over at Jeremy's LQ.org recently. He PM'd me and informed me that he was having issues creating an account here at Scot's. We went back & forth a bit via PM, but I could not resolve his issue. I believe that the built-in IPB anti-spam software may have thought his @aol email address was bogus. Anyway, I ended up having to manually create his user account here at Scot's. His posting here is proof that I finally got him in the door. ;)

WELCOME, Mauser! Oh, and if you choose to... most of us here know each other's first names. If you'd like to let us know what yours is, we will be able to refer to you that way in communications here at Scot's. That's purely up to you, though. We're relatively informal here at Scot's, as you'll learn.

And as Ray (raymac46) states above, there are some SHARP Debian users here on this forum. Between them and the rest of us, we'll be able to walk you through just about anything in MX or any other Linux that you may have questions about. Jump right in anywhere. We're happy to have you here.

Scot's was a bustling board at one time, but has since mellowed out a bit. Most of the folks you'll see posting here everyday have been around here for a while; moss is growing out of their ears. ;) Oh, and we have a philosophy here at Scot's that was originally espoused by a wonderful man named Bruno Knaapen, who wanted to teach everyone Linux in a way that isn't complicated or scary. Bruno would not even allow the word "newbie" to be used on this board when he was still around. He felt, as we all do, that the word is a bit demeaning.

Anyway, poke around... read some of the sticky posts in the Linux and other areas of the board. Also, of course, please read the TOS, and "sticky" posts in the  Announcements area of the board. There is a lot of good info there that you need to be aware of.

Glad to have you here (finally), my friend. Have some fun with us! :)

~Eric

• Like 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

And here is his quote:

We try to avoid the word "newbie", it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification. --Bruno

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome and especially V.T. Eric Layton for getting me in these forums. I like the quote by securitybreach. I have always found the term "newbie" to be demeaning and very disrespectful to use such a term. That's why I say "new user" instead. By the way, my name is Klaus

I gave Linux an other try back in September 2015 after I read the Microsoft E.U.L.A. of Windows 10 and I have been using Linux ever since.

Ha! Same thing happened to me, except it was with Windows XP! After a lot of angst, I did an install of SuSE (as it was then; now OpenSUSE) in 2003, and I never looked back. Good to have you here Klaus.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

Welcome to Scot's, Klaus. I can't offer much linux help. About the only thing I do rarely is boot a live USB stick.

I mainly use Windows 7 and android.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, zlim said:

I mainly use Windows 7

Support EOL has arrived. Maybe it's time we completely converted you, Liz. ;)

you will be infected due to an unpatched exploit.

Common misconception, Josh.  I know several people who have not patched his/her Windows 7 computers for 2 years and have not suffered any problems. I also haven't noticed much of an uptake in XP infections despite people clinging to that OS going on 6 years unpatched.

I trust my protection, the way I surf AND the fact that I have recent images of all the computers. I make images about every 4 weeks. If one of the 4 computers catches something, it will take no time at all to restore an image.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... but don't you want to learn/run Linux? C'mon... you know you do. ;)

We could have you rockin' and rollin' on Ubuntu or some such in just a few hours. 😎

Hee-Hee... just teasing with you, Liz.

securitybreach

The US government says differently:

Windows ‘BlueKeep’ Attack That U.S. Government Warned About Is Happening Right Now

When Microsoft issued the first patch in years for Windows XP in May 2019, you knew that something big was brewing. That something was a wormable Windows vulnerability that security experts warned could have a similar impact to the WannaCry worm from 2017. The BlueKeep vulnerability exists in unpatched versions of Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2: and it’s now been confirmed that a BlueKeep exploit attack is currently ongoing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/11/03/windows-bluekeep-attack-that-us-government-warned-about-is-happening-right-now/#43e1213431a0

Welcome, Mauser! I'm a former Mepis user. I also ran MX for a little while but now I only like to keep it around on a flash drive for the occasional live session (I use only /home persistence, mainly just to store a few documents and screenshots). Glad to see someone joining up! Obviously, things aren't as active here as at LinuxQuestions (I love those forums, too!)... BATL might be the best kept secret in the Linux world these days! But, great info here, and some classy, knowledgeable members. Surprised sometimes that they've put up with me all these years, though!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, saturnian said:

Welcome, Mauser! I'm a former Mepis user. I also ran MX for a little while but now I only like to keep it around on a flash drive for the occasional live session (I use only /home persistence, mainly just to store a few documents and screenshots). Glad to see someone joining up! Obviously, things aren't as active here as at LinuxQuestions (I love those forums, too!)... BATL might be the best kept secret in the Linux world these days! But, great info here, and some classy, knowledgeable members. Surprised sometimes that they've put up with me all these years, though!

Thank you. What does "BATL" mean?

Forgot to say earlier that MX Linux is a very good distro to use in VirtualBox on Windows 10. You have a stable Linux system that doesn't get updated that much and it doesn't crash in VBox as a result. I have it to run Linux on Windows when needed.

7 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Forgot to say earlier that MX Linux is a very good distro to use in VirtualBox on Windows 10. You have a stable Linux system that doesn't get updated that much and it doesn't crash in VBox as a result. I have it to run Linux on Windows when needed.

Thank you for the advice but it was Windows 10 that made me switch to Linux. Windows 10 is Spyware/Malware. The last good Windows was Windows 7.

1 minute ago, securitybreach said:

The last one for me was Windows 2000.

I can understand why because Windows 2000 was the first good Windows for me. The only thing bad about Windows 2000 it had no sound drivers and I had to buy a sound card. I guess that's the price of stability because I couldn't stand Windows 98se which is and will go down in history as the most unstable O.S. of all time.

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, Mauser said:

Windows 10 is Spyware/Malware. The last good Windows was Windows 7.

4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

The last one for me was Windows 2000.

Let me, as gently as I can, say something here...

You will sometimes see some of us disparaging MS and its products here at Scot's. However, it's important to know/remember that this board has many MS Windows users on it regularly. I'm know they are patient and reserved and will usually not comment about their hurt feelings regarding Linux-users' nasty comments here and there, BUT...

Let's try to be kind when expressing our opinions so as not to step on too many toes.

Thanks, everyone.

• +1 1

I switched to Linux because I had an old Dell desktop that ran Windows Me and I didn't want to buy another XP licence. I knew nothing about Linux at the time and that's why I joined up here.

I have installed Linux on many machines since then - either to uninstall Windows or simply put an O/S on a machine that had nothing previously. I think Linux is great.

I continue to run Windows 10 on a couple of machines to play my train sims, do my income tax and support the many friends in my neighborhood who are strictly Windows users. Even with Windows as the main system I'll still have a copy of Linux available in VBox.

I never criticize any other person's operating system choice as that is up to them. If they have an old machine that has an obsolete Windows system and they want to continue to use it, I will then recommend they try Linux if the hardware is compatible.

• Agree 2
  • +1 1

securitybreach
6 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

If they have an old machine that has an obsolete Windows system and they want to continue to use it, I will then recommend they try Linux if the hardware is compatible.

I agree but a lot of Linux distros require more up to date hardware to run on so while there there are distros geared toward older hardware, not all will run on them like they used to.

Well yeah I always keep that 10 year window in mind. You can always find a distro that'll run on really old stuff (antix comes to mind) but it's painful if you don't have decent memory and processor speed.

• Like 1

securitybreach
Just now, raymac46 said:

Well yeah I always keep that 10 year window in mind. You can always find a distro that'll run on really old stuff (antix comes to mind) but it's painful if you don't have decent memory and processor speed.

Especially with today's javascript heavy internet as you have to watch the sites you visit or will bring the machine to a crawl. I tried to use firefox on a netbook from 2007 with 2gb ram and loading gmail locked it up. Granted that was a couple of years ago but still.

• Agree 1

I have a netbook from 2010 that only has 2 GB of RAM and you can't increase it. It has a 64 bit Atom processor and even runs Arch Linux. However it's too slow to take on holiday so I usually take my Thinkpad nowdays.

• Like 1

securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

I have a netbook from 2010 that only has 2 GB of RAM and you can't increase it. It has a 64 bit Atom processor and even runs Arch Linux. However it's too slow to take on holiday so I usually take my Thinkpad nowdays.

Mine has about the same specs: 64bit Atom, 2gb maxed ram, etc. It stays in a drawer as its all but useless to me.

OpenSUSE has done well on older hardware in my experience. It's Leap 15.1 is running speedily now on a 10 year old Lenovo laptop.

EDIT: Should probably have said if memory serves it's Intel Core2 Duo @2GHz with 3 GB of RAM.

Edited by ebrke
  • +1 1