Post numbering ????????????????????????

abarbarian

So where are they ?

How can my luverly Window Maker chums find post 112 to find out about shutdown tips.  How can I tell folks to look at post 21 when there are no numbered posts ?

Tut tut. 🤪

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, wait... I understand what he's asking about here.

The individual posts in a thread have no numbering system. However, you can link to any individual posting by clicking on the Share link in the upper right hand corner of a post (see image below).

kkmCkwZ.png

And there you have it...

Eric, I can't see the share link you see. Ooops, I stand corrected. I don't see anything in Palemoon but I see the sharing icon in Firefox. The only thing that appears for me in Palemoon when I move my cursor to the top right corner is Report Post. That's it.

So, is there a way to get posts in a thread numbered?

EDITED by vtel57 - 013120.1227hrs

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I see it fine in FF, PaleMoon, and SeaMonkey. So... I'm not sure what's going on with your browsers, Liz. :(

As to your question: "So, is there a way to get posts in a thread numbered?"

I don't think so.

2 hours ago, zlim said:

Eric, I can't see the share link you see. Ooops, I stand corrected. I don't see anything in Palemoon but I see the sharing icon in Firefox. The only thing that appears for me in Palemoon when I move my cursor to the top right corner is Report Post. That's it.

So, is there a way to get posts in a thread numbered?

EDITED by vtel57 - 013120.1227hrs

Can you see the clickable link labeled "Posted __ hours ago" in Palemoon?

You could copy that link as well.

It's on the upper left, just above the post's text.

Depending in the age of the post, it may use something other than "hours", eg "just now".

Edited by Pete!
  • Thanks 1

blimey me explanation was pretty clear, but for you clever folk that don't speak plain like 'ere's a snap,

e41WFKg.png

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/56171-window-maker/

Above is the opening post of my Window Maker thread. I added the items "TIP-Shutdown pc -- in post 112" for instance so that folks could find relevant and useful  information easily amongst all the usual chatter in a thread. Now there are no individual post numbers so how are folks supposed to find post 112 ??

Clear yet folks or should I call in a translator ??  😜

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

V.T. Eric Layton

You'll either have to edit your thread referring to post 112 by linking using the Share icon as I posted above or your readers will just have to count down to post 112 on their own.

Best I can do for you, my brother.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Erik, I'm going to hunt around this morning and see if I can find a way to return post numbering to the board. If I make any progress on this, I'll post here.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You'll either have to edit your thread referring to post 112 by linking using the Share icon as I posted above or your readers will just have to count down to post 112 on their own.

Best I can do for you, my brother.

Good thought, I could do the Share icon thing but that would mean I have to do a smidgin of work. Maybe if I do my usual wait and see tactic Eric will have worked and  found a solution to numbering. Which would mean no work for Erik. 😜

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
6 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Maybe if I do my usual wait and see tactic Eric will have worked and  found a solution to numbering. Which would mean no work for Erik. 😜

Well, your (short) wait may be paying off. I found a plugin at Invision Community that resolves this issue. However, they require you to create a user for their support forum before you can download anything. I'm contemplating doing that now...

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I created an account, but there's some issue with it... or maybe I have to be validated. I don't know. Either way, it's not letting me post or download the plugin. I sent an email to their customer support. Awaiting a reply...

This is the plugin, by the way...

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8081-post-number/

Pete, yes I can see the posted and time behind it and can get a link that way.

Eric, I guess I'm the only one who can't see the sharing link in PM using Windows 7. Well, I found the culprit: uBlockOrigin. If I turn that off here, I can see the share link.

I'll have to check if I have it on or off at Scot's in FF because I do see the share link in FF. It is working/on in FF. Now to see what the difference is between PM's uBO and FF's uBO.

Another computer and the same thing happens. PM doesn't show share but FF does. I checked in uBO and the same things are allowed in both. I get a brief display of share, then it disappears never to be seen again. Now to figure out what blocks it.

Edited by zlim
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Opening up the Element Inspector in Firefox, I see that the share icon code is thus:

<i class="fa fa-share-alt-square"></i>

The icon itself "fa-share" is actually a font: https://codesprogram.com/fa-fa-share-alt-square.php

It's possible that your browsers character encoding is not allowing you to view this font.

I can tell you this because I've been coming here testing out things. Before Scot's site loads fully, I can tell by the progress in the status bar, the share link is there. When Scot's site loads fully, the icon disappears and there is no way I can get it back.

If it were a font problem, I'd think that it would never appear. Also it wouldn't appear when I turn off uBO so it isn't that my computer refuses to display a certain font; it is something I haven't been able to figure out - yet.

It also does it on the 2 computers I tested my desk PC and my netbook PC. I thought perhaps it was a function of browser themes but they use different themes. They use different screen resolutions so that's out. I'll keep trying to determine what it might be.

• Confused 1

A big THANKS to frapper ! He asked me about the filters I had in uBO. I opened Palemoon and Firefox and compared them.

Palemoon had 2 that FF did not.

See the screenshot (too small to see so I posted the address) 

I took out those 2 filters and can now see the share post icon.

Fanboy's social and Fanboy and Easylist merged.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 3

Did you try just disabling uBO for SNLF?

I'm guessing those Fanboy's lists you removed are to block some of those annoying social media links so you may get more of those popping up. I don't have those lists in FF either though.

• Like 2

Did you try just disabling uBO for SNLF?

Did that a day or two ago and posted that I could see the share icon.

I wanted to know why because I didn't have to disable in FF to see the share icon.  I always strive to figure out what is causing "unusual" behavior on a computer.

I've added the Fanboy's filters back because it is more important to me to not see all the facebook and twitter icons on almost every home page of a site I go to than it is to see the share icon here. If I need to link to a post, I will either click on the time when it was posted to get a link or temporarily disable uBO here and use the share icon.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Doesn't uBO have white-listing capabilities, Liz? You could just add the domain scotsnewsletter.com to the white list and all the filters will continue to work fine at other sites, but will be disabled here.

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Doesn't uBO have white-listing capabilities, Liz? You could just add the domain scotsnewsletter.com to the white list and all the filters will continue to work fine at other sites, but will be disabled here.

Yes it does. Click on the uBO icon and then on the big blue power button type circle and it turns grey to indicate disabling for the site. That's what I meant above when I said "disabling for SNFL". It is the same as whitelisting.

It is also configurable in Add-Ons > Extensions > uBlock Origin > Preferences > Whitelist but that's too much trouble when it is achievable with 2 clicks.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
On 2/1/2020 at 10:11 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well, I created an account, but there's some issue with it... or maybe I have to be validated. I don't know. Either way, it's not letting me post or download the plugin. I sent an email to their customer support. Awaiting a reply...

This is the plugin, by the way...

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8081-post-number/

Well, no one works at this place over the weekend, evidently, as I've not received any reply to my query email. I hope they contact me tomorrow. If not, I shall be peeved... and not amused. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I'm done with this carp. I HATE Invision with a friggin' passion.

Anyway, Andy from CS emailed me back about my query above. He stated that only the licensed owner can download plugins for this board. OK, fine. Scot will have to handle this if you folks want numbered threads. I cc'd the reply from Andy to Scot and Josh.

To add insult to injury, I can't even login to their community today. The login keeps telling me to "enter an email address" in the login field. I'm entering the darn (that is not the word I want to use here) email that I created the account with, but no-go. So, whiz on it...

So, there you go. Have a nice day. :)

• Sad 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've rested and had some lunch/coffee since posting the above. Here follows a more mellow response:

OK, folks... turns out that even if you join the Invision Community Forums, you cannot download plugins. Only the licensed owner of the board or an agent of said owner has those permissions. Well, I cc'd the customer service reply to Scot and Josh to let them know the status of things. Scot replied, "I’ll look into it." If Scot either logs in there and downloads the plugin for me... or sets it up so that I can download it, I will then be more than happy to install in here at Scots.

I'll be waiting for further developments in this situation. I really would like to install the plugin and get back the standard post numbering. I think that would be a good idea for the board and its users.

So, there you have it... :)

P.S. I don't really hate Invision. I did earlier, though. ;)

• Like 1
  • +1 2