Xfce4 Whisker Menu

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

As any of you who run Xfce know, their menu leaves a lot to be desired. There's a solution out there these days called "Whisker Menu". It's an addon that creates a much more traditional type menu along with some conveniences and other perks.

I was bored last night and installed it on my Slack/Xfce system. I LIKE it!

Check it out...

https://docs.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

also on the original creator's site:

https://gottcode.org/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/

If you're running Slackware w/ Xfce4, you can d-load an already compiled SlackBuild for this from Robbie Workman's repos --> https://rlworkman.net/pkgs/

or compile it yourself from SlackBuilds.org --> https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/desktop/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/

Screenshots:

https://docs.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin#screenshots

Mine looks a bit different because it's highly customizable... and I LIKE to customize. ;)

Have fun!

• Like 1

a lot of LXDE users install xfce panels to replace lxpanels, simply to have access to the Whisker Menu.  I'm still a native OpenBox/Fluxbox/PekWM right click desktop menu guy, but looking into jgmenu.  If I can figure out how to implement the Fluxbox & PekWM "settings" within jgmenu, I'll make the switch.  Until then, it's a 4th option for me.

I actually prefer the ol' Xfce applications menu over the Whisker menu. I do tweak it a bit, and I set things up so that I can also bring it up with a right-click on the desktop.

But, I don't like that it doesn't come with a nice menu editor. Years back, didn't Xfce have a good menu editor? That could be my memory playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall being very disappointed when they dropped it. I see here that LXMenuEditor should work with the Xfce applications menu; haven't tried that yet.

Yeah. I've gotten spoiled by obmenu, the Openbox GUI menu editor. And, I don't think Fluxbox has a GUI menu editor, but editing the Fluxbox menu is kinda painless as the text files are easy to work with. With both Openbox and Fluxbox, I save my config files, then I reuse them (tweaked a bit) for new installations.

With Xfce, I make only a few changes to the menu these days. I think my notes from what I did with a Buster installation last year explain it best:

Editing the Xfce menu in Buster...

To remove the File Manager, Terminal Emulator, Mail Reader, and Web Browser entries from the root menu,
I copied the exo-file-manager.desktop, exo-terminal-emulator.desktop, exo-mail-reader.desktop, and
exo-web-browser.desktop files from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications, then edited
each file by removing the Category X-Xfce-Toplevel.

To remove Thunar options from right-click menu, issue the following command:

$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -v --create -p /desktop-icons/style -t int -s 0

To toggle back and forth between the properties:

$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -v -p /desktop-icons/style -s 0

or

$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -v -p /desktop-icons/style -s 2

Edited by saturnian

I booted into a live session of MX Linux to play around with the Whisker menu. Hadn't noticed this before, or else I forgot, but I see the MX Menu Editor. Nice! From what I'm seeing, their menu editor doesn't allow for editing or re-arranging the categories in the menu, but maybe I'm just not seeing how that's done.

MX19-05a.png.63e82e38bbe2595d3f6575753d944ac8.png

• Like 1

FWIW, I just discovered OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 is using Whisker Menu by default in xfce. Actually, I only found it when rearranging items on the panel and saw Whisker Menu as the first item.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! Yeah, it's definitely early. The ol' lady came over last night and we partook a bit (she's a wino, though). I was up before the birds this AM (0630) to help get her up and off to work. She does in-home elderly healthcare. It's really dark gray, wet and ugly here this AM, too. Blech!

securitybreach

It's nice here, just a bit cooler than I would like.

Now back to whisker, Whisker is a really cool menu that is very customizeable. I have seen some pretty cool setups over the years with it.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, when I first upgrade the ol' Slack a few weeks back, the newer Xfce came with it. I had heard about Whisker before that, but never bothered to install it. With the upgrade, I figured I'd give it a shot and see what on the online hoopla was about. I'm glad I did it. The standard Xfce menu leaves a LOT to be desired. Whisker is pretty cool, though. :)

zWHIDSK.png

• +1 2

It's because of the Whisker menu that I Like Xfce the most and is why I don't use KDE Plasma. None of the KDE Plasma application menu's appeal to me.

Just now, ebrke said:

Agreed. Also, I have older hardware and xfce is a lot easier on resources.

Actually KDE Plasma corrected that issue and uses about the same amount of RAM as Xfce.

Interesting. Haven't tried KDE in a long time. Think I'll stick with xfce, however. Been using it for some years now, and I don't usually change anything unless something breaks. I get some ribbing here because I'm probably the only member who has never installed more than one distro. I liked SuSE from the beginning, and it seemed to like me and my hardware.

4 minutes ago, ebrke said:

Interesting. Haven't tried KDE in a long time. Think I'll stick with xfce, however. Been using it for some years now, and I don't usually change anything unless something breaks. I get some ribbing here because I'm probably the only member who has never installed more than one distro. I liked SuSE from the beginning, and it seemed to like me and my hardware.

You mean openSuSE or SuSE? The reason why I asked is because started with openSuSE KDE and then Xfce which didn't render correctly in Zyper. That's why I went trying other distros and ended up with MX Linux.

Now it's OpenSUSE. I did use the Enterprise software years ago for a while; I was self-employed and it was a business expense, and I figured I could support them by buying the product.

Are we talking about Zypper, the software package manager? I started using the software install/update functions in YaST before Zypper was part of SUSE, and I just stuck with it. While the CLI is fine, YaST is an great tool, and I'm old and lazy!

1 minute ago, ebrke said:

Now it's OpenSUSE. I did use the Enterprise software years ago for a while; I was self-employed and it was a business expense, and I figured I could support them by buying the product.

Are we talking about Zypper, the software package manager? I started using the software install/update functions in YaST before Zypper was part of SUSE, and I just stuck with it. While the CLI is fine, YaST is an great tool, and I'm old and lazy!

O.K. Yes, I mean Zypper. If I remember correctly I was using OpenSUSE 13.2 back then.

There seem to have been some issues with Zypper over the years. As I said, I stayed with YaST, which will also bring any dependency problems/solutions to your attention before installing the software you've chosen. Like I said, I'm lazy--if I were stuck at Level 3, I probably wouldn't be worrying about installing software.

4 minutes ago, ebrke said:

There seem to have been some issues with Zypper over the years. As I said, I stayed with YaST, which will also bring any dependency problems/solutions to your attention before installing the software you've chosen. Like I said, I'm lazy--if I were stuck at Level 3, I probably wouldn't be worrying about installing software.

I was using it through YaST. I am command line illiterate by the way. 😉

As far as I know, Zypper is accessed through CLI. The software functions in YaST (graphical) are separate and use different repositories, although YaST also uses libzypp according to documentation.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:51 AM, saturnian said:

My Xfce applications menu, which now also opens with a desktop right-click:

screenshot-xfce-menu.jpg.9a71d7efdd7e55c26e0ae990bdeb48c1.jpg

And just HOW did we accomplish that?  If XFCE adds window tabbing (like Kwin USED to!), it could be another option for Wayland when X gets overtaken.

9 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

And just HOW did we accomplish that?  If XFCE adds window tabbing (like Kwin USED to!), it could be another option for Wayland when X gets overtaken.

In my experience Xfce always opened the applications menu by right clicking on every distro I have tried in the past.