Linux, Wine and Quicken help needed

Ed_P

Hi.  I have an old Windows XP / Windows 7 32 bit system that runs an old version of Quicken 2000.  I would like to replace the Windows system with a Linux system named Porteus and run Quicken on it.  I have tried several Wine modules but I can't get Quicken to run.

ls -lg 
total 1312357 
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 111755264 Jan 8 16:31 0050-compat32-multilib-lite-x86_64-1bl.xzm* 
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 69439488 Jul 27 05:20 0050-compat32-multilib-lite.xzm* 
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 484454400 Jan 8 15:44 0050-multilib-current-x86_64_12112019.xzm* 
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 510312448 Jul 26 18:01 0050-multilib-current-x86_64_13072019.xzm* 
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 83279872 Jul 26 17:58 wine-4.12.1-x86_64-1sg.xzm* 
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 84606976 Jan 8 15:37 wine-5.0.rc4-x86_64-1sg.xzm* 
guest@porteus:/mnt/sda6/porteus5.0/Optional/wine$

This is what I get.

guest@porteus:~$ wine /mnt/sda3/QUICKENW/QW.EXE
0009:err:module:import_dll Library IPROF32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\mnt\\sda3\\QUICKENW\\QWUTIL7.dll") not found
0009:err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\mnt\\sda3\\QUICKENW\\QWUTIL7.dll") not found
0009:err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\mnt\\sda3\\QUICKENW\\QCOMUTIL.dll") not found
0009:err:module:import_dll Library QCOMUTIL.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\mnt\\sda3\\QUICKENW\\QWUTIL7.dll") not found
 :
 :

If I install the Quicken system on my Windows 10 64 bit notebook it runs fine so all the files are there.

Can anyone help me get this running on Wine?

Edited by Ed_P
Clean up code displays

I installed Quicken '99 Basic for my wife, but that was about 10 years ago and it was a BEAR to get working.  WINE is obviously looking for some libraries; specifically IPROF32.dll, MFC42.DLL and COMUTIL.dll. 

Question is, can you install these files with Winetricks?  Or must they be copied over from a Windows installation?  And secondly, not sure where to copy those files TO...although I'd guess the same directory as QWUTIL7.dll, which is calling for those libs.  And even if you successfully locate & install the missing libs into the correct directory, don't be surprised if you bump into another error later in the Quicken execute sequence.  You may solve it with the indicated libraries (let's hope), but don't be surprised if you don't.

Honestly, I'd advise you to consider other financial software.  Is there ANY WAY you'd consider that?  The more you insist that you have to use proprietary Quicken, the more I would suggest THAT is the reason you should consider switching.  Here are some alternatives that may suit your needs:

https://alternativeto.net/software/quicken/?platform=linux

IMO, Gnucash, Homebank & Moneydance are the most Quicken-like.  Added bonus, most home financial software imports the proprietary Quicken file format, although you may lose SOME details of the files, such as vendor address or phone number...or you may not lose anything.

If you simply MUST continue using Quicken, I would advise installing it in a Windows VM running on a Linux desktop distro.  This is what I do, and it's pretty seamless and painless.  I MUST run Quickbooks for my business.  My accountant insists on QB, or find another accountant...and it seems all accountants have this requirement.  And  no one has EVER gotten QB to run in Wine, and Intuit will not allow QB files to be converted to Quicken files for easy export/import into something else.  You can import Quicken into QB, but it's a 1-way trip.  But I digress...

Back to you.  I'd install Wine on Mint with terminal, like this:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-mint/install-wine-linux-mint-19-1

This will give you the latest & greatest Wine.  If that doesn't solve your issue, I'd try to track down the missing dll libraries...google is your friend here.  If that doesn't work, consider Quicken in a Virtual Windows Machine.  If that's not an option, consider alternative software.  Most people migrating from Linux are looking to escape the clutches of a proprietary OS.  If that describes you, it makes no sense to hold so tightly onto such a proprietary software as Quicken, no matter how much you like it.  JMO...

But your machine, your choice.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Hedon James

My purpose is to keep the old pc running.  It doesn't support newer Windows and Windows 7 hasn't been updated in over a yr, maybe 2.  Newer versions of Quicken don't support the data files from the old Quicken Basic that I have. 

All the files Wine is looking for are on the hard drive in the same folder as QW.EXE so I don't understand the  import errs.  I'll look into winetricks and let you know my results.

• Like 1

I think winetricks is the ticket for you, FWIW.  Sounds like you have the dependent libraries installed, but they aren't "registered" by Wine.  Here's another thread about Wine import errors, which is one of the errors you're getting.

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30659

How much RAM does your old PC have?  If it has at least 4GB, I think a Win7 VM would work for you, as long as you don't allocate more than 1.5GB RAM to the VM, leaving 2.5GB for the host.  Obviously, more is better, but if all you did with a Win7 VM is run Quicken, I think it would be tolerable.

And I noted you said that even "Newer versions of Quicken don't support the data files from the old Quicken Basic that I have."  Even Quicken is trying to pull you forward with another proprietary Quicken software purchase.  This is the very definition of proprietary vendor lock-in...a customer for life, because YOUR data is being held hostage by a proprietary data format.  If this doesn't bother you, then I'm not sure anything I say on that subject will be of importance to you. 

But in my opinion, Intuit has pickpocketed your wallet (your data), but will hand your wallet back to you, intact, as long as you have the card in your wallet that proves you paid your "protection money" (software registration) for the neighborhood program.  At some point, they're not going to hand it back, because you haven't paid the proper fee recently, and the card in your wallet is "expired."  You're already being warned in a subtle manner.  If you wait too long, you'll have no choice but to pay the ransom to upgrade Quicken, just to get YOUR data back.

Before it becomes a critical matter, and you lose the opportunity to exercise free choice, I strongly encourage you to check out some of the alternative checkbook/financial software available for Linux OSes.  While they aren't Quicken, I feel certain you'll find something acceptable for your needs, once you get past the fact it doesn't "look like" Quicken.  And they all import proprietary Quicken files (like LibreOffice imports proprietary MS Word or Excel files) into an "open document" standard format; so it doesn't get much easier than that to liberate YOUR data in a permanent fashion.

JMO.  I hope you'll consider my thoughts above, but ultimately, it is your decision.  FWIW...

Edited by Hedon James

Well winetricks didn't help.  It has an option to install a whole bunch of apps but none of them are Quicken.  It also didn't provide an option to install an app from a file outside of it's list.

A lot of the missing files are in the Quicken folder so don't understand why they aren't being found.  Some are from the system's \Windows\system32 folder but I don't know how to connect that folder to the wine's system.

While there are other financial apps available it's unlikely they would support the Quicken's data file, which goes back 8 yrs and is useful for doing taxes and etc.

securitybreach

If I had to guess, you are probably running into all the installation issues because of how old the application is.  I could be wrong though

• Thanks 1

Sorry you can't use other, native financial software.  But I completely get it.  I'm running Quickbooks for my business, and the only program that reads the proprietary *.qbb format is....Quickbooks!  Can't "downgrade" to Quicken, can't convert *.qbb to *.qif, and no other software in the world can read *.qbb files.  Besides my accountant's statement that it's "quickbooks, or a new accountant", I can't convert it.  Period.  Dead end!  Even if I decide to find a new accountant (although the current one is pretty sharp), the only way to migrate away from Quickbooks is to start using Linux compatible accounting software (Grisbi would be my most likely replacement) and to start re-building my books again, from SCRATCH.  Not a pleasant thought.  So even though I've been exhorting you to look into native linux alternatives to Quicken, it comes from a place where Quicken's *.qif format absolutely can be read (and imported) by other software.  You still have a choice that I do not have, but wish I did, and that's why I'm sounding the alarm bells so loudly.  But I completely understand being held hostage by a single Windows program.  And if we can't get it working for you (see below), you still have the Windows VM route to look into.  That route is GUARANTEED to work, FWIW.

While Winetricks can install a curated handful of popular Windows software, I've never used it for that.  PlayOn Linux and Crossover Linux are GUI frontends to wine & winetricks for Windows software installation.  I've never used PlayOn, as it's my understanding the primary focus is on games.  I do have a Crossover account, and Crossover has "crossties"(?), which are automatic "recipes" to install Windows software, but I've never really used it.  I don't see an entry in Crossover for Quicken 2000.

You're really taxing my memory of my one-time Wine experience from about 10 years ago!  LOL!  I do remember installing Windows components/libraries with Winetricks.  Unless Winetricks is much different today than it was 10 years ago (also quite possible?!) you can install several curated DLLs using the Winetricks GUI.  I'd keep tinkering with the GUI and see if you can find that section of Wine.

Until we learn different, I still maintain that you have the DLLs "installed", but Wine isn't aware of them...they aren't "registered".  If you can't find DLL candidates to install from Winetricks, maybe you can install from terminal, like this guy:

https://techblog.jeppson.org/2016/05/use-irfanview-linux-wine/

If you can install his way, at least Wine should "register" the component.  Alternatively, it looks like you have the DLLs installed in the Wine/Quicken directory, from the install disk, but sounds like they're not in the "correct" place for Wine to find them.  If that's the case, the question becomes "where are they SUPPOSED to be located?".  My best guess would be a System32 directory in Wine.  And maybe this is helpful to you:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=272745

Note the links to other threads that indicate installing vcrun6 with Winetricks will pull in the MFC42.DLL library (and perhaps other library/components?).  FWIW, you should be able to get this working, IMO.  Maybe the Wine AppDB will be helpful....look for platinum and gold ratings, as they have the most functionality duplicated in a Wine installation:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=107

Crossover (Codeweaver) indicates that many versions of Quicken are installable and functioning, including Quicken 2000:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/quicken

Maybe the 14-day free trial will be worth it to get Quicken working for you?  Once you get it working, I'd back up the "wine prefix" or the "wine bottle" so it can be copied to future installations.  I've read many forums where folks say "I had program X working in Wine Y, but Wine got updated in current distro, and now program X doesn't work anymore."  Nearly always, the solution is to copy over the previously working Wine prefix and it miraculously works in Wine Z too.  So once you get it working, you should be able to carry it forward with you.  FWIW...

Also found this for you Ed:

https://www.philipdaniels.com/blog/2019/installing-wine-and-quicken-on-mint/

He's installing on Mint, so terminal commands are based on Debian tools.  Not sure what Porteus is a derivative of, but if we can translate the Debian tools/commands to Porteus tools/commands, it seems very do-able!  FWIW...

• Like 1

You're an incredible searcher Hedon James. 😲  Thank you. 🍻

I will definitely checkout your links.  Porteus is based on Slackware and I'm sure if something can be done on Mint or Ubuntu it can be done on Porteus.

Edited by Ed_P
spelling fix

19 hours ago, Ed_P said:

You're an incredible searcher Hedon James. 😲  Thank you. 🍻

I will definitely checkout your links.  Porteus is based on Slackware and I'm sure if something can be done on Mint or Ubuntu it can be done on Porteus.

I just hope you're able to get this resolved.  I'm the "slow child" on here, as there are so many others on this site with so much more knowledge than me.  That's why I'm here, to soak up their freely dispensed knowledge; but the downside to that is that I don't have much to offer outside of their considerable knowledge base.  But when the opportunity presents itself, I'm happy to pitch in and do my best to advance the cause.  I've been EXACTLY where you are now, if I can only remember how I got out of that jam?!  LOL!!!

• Like 1