Windows 7 Gets Final Monthly Rollup Update Before End Of Life

Corrine

If you are still running Windows 7, note that it reaches EoL (End of Life) today.  Starting tomorrow (15 January 2020) all versions of Windows 7 (except Professional if the Extended Security Update has been purchased) will display a full-screen upgrade warning notification which will remain on the screen until you interact with the device.

For information about rollup update as well as how you can upgrade to Windows 10 today for free see the article at Bleeping Computer, Windows 7 Gets Final Monthly Rollup Update Before End Of Life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach

I think that it is great that they are displaying a fullscreen notification about upgrading. Hopefully that will take care of those people who would never upgrade otherwise.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
5 hours ago, securitybreach said:

...those people who would never upgrade otherwise.

And I fear there are still quite a few of those out there even in this day/age.

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

And I fear there are still quite a few of those out there even in this day/age.

I seen XP running on a POS at Denny's restaurant last year

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I still have 7 Enterprise on my main system, but as you know... it's been crippled (no Network access) since Day 1 of the installation. I ONLY use it for gaming. It's never been updated. ;)

I'm leaving my elderly mother's laptop at win7, with the possibility of putting her on linux if she continues to use a computer for very much longer. She could not possibly cope with win10, and I can't spend money on hardware that would support it. She does nothing confidential on her machine--I do all the checking of bank accounts, credit cards, etc.--and I installed ESET Internet Security and MB for her. I figure if she gets hit with anything nasty I'll format the drive and install OpenSuse. I also have a old backup laptop with linux installed that she could use.

• Like 2

securitybreach
Just now, ebrke said:

She could not possibly cope with win10, and I can't spend money on hardware that would support it.

I installed Windows 10 on a laptop running Vista and while it was a little slow, it did run 10 just fine.

securitybreach

Also if I had to choose between Windows 7 and Windows 10, I as definitely go with W10. It is a vast improvement over windows 7. I had to use windows 7 for a couple of years at work but it has been a lot better after we moved to W10. W7 Enteprise would take on average about 20 minutes to boot due to all the group policy fixes and such that would have to be applied at each login.

By the time we dropped Windows 7 Enterprise, there were 285 window's updates. Windows 10 has like 8 or 10 updates. Those LTSB (Long-term Servicing Branch) builds were a pain in the rear. The SAC (Semi Annual Channel) is so much better. Instead of like 8 releases a year, you get 2 releases a year. Saves me from making image sticks all the time...

V.T. Eric Layton

WOW! Josh saying something good about a Windows operating system. Let me check outside a minute and see of it's snowing in Florida. ;)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I installed Windows 10 on a laptop running Vista and while it was a little slow, it did run 10 just fine.

Both my laptop and desktop are from 2008 and came with Windows Vista.   Windows 10 works fine on both devices.

• Like 2

securitybreach
4 minutes ago, Corrine said:

Both my laptop and desktop are from 2008 and came with Windows Vista.   Windows 10 works fine on both devices.

Nice. I think the one I installed it on was even older than that.

I have Windows 10 on an 8 year old desktop and a 5 year old laptop. The desktop started out with Windows 7 and the laptop had Windows 8.1 originally. Windows 10 is no heavier than Windows 7.

• Like 1

Thanks for the hardware info, but unfortunately what everybody missed is where I said my elderly mother couldn't possibly cope with win10. Hardware might not be an issue but isn't the main problem. She simply wouldn't know what to do with it, and she's no longer able to learn anything new--she's losing a lot of what she knows. Just the appearance of win10 would terrify her. Outside of win7, linux with something like xfce would have the closest appearance and function to what she's used to. Restoring a backup or moving to linux in the event of problems are really my only options.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

V.T. Eric Layton
35 minutes ago, ebrke said:

but unfortunately what everybody missed is where I said my elderly mother couldn't possibly cope with win10.

I'll have you know that I did NOT miss that. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Well you can add a program like Open Shell that makes Windows 10 look like Windows 7, if that would help.

I agree.

It was almost a necessity for Window 8, but it also makes Windows 10 a lot more comfortable.

Open Shell has replaced Classic Shell and as far as I know is still under development. The latest version works fine with Windows 10.

win10-2020.jpg

This is what Windows 10 looks like with Open Shell. All you have to do to launch a browser or email is use the icons on the lower taskbar. The Start button gives a Windows 7 like menu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That pic is one of a number I took in November, using a relatively new DSLR with a 30 year old Nikon lens. These old lenses are fiddly to work with, but they have excellent performance under the right conditions.

I certainly would not use this combination for travel photography, where you maybe get one chance in a lifetime to get the picture you want. But these lenses are fun to geek it up with - sorta like using Linux on an old PC.

• Like 1