Slow Shutdown

raymac46

Lately my Windows 10 system has been taking an inordinately long time to power off after one issues the shutdown command. My wife (admittedly not the most patient user) started to complain because she had to wait 5 minutes or more for the machine to turn itself off.

I checked the startup situation and disabled a few programs, but no change. Then I ran a series of file system checks and everything seemed OK.

I thought maybe I should replace the aging CMOS battery - I had to remove/replace the video card to gain access. All this did was blow up my setup in BIOS - the machine started complaining about chassis intrusion so I had to go in and clear that and disable the warning. Then my boot order was messed up so Windows wouldn't load from my SSD. Fixed that.

But still the problem persisted. Then I found via Google that if you disabled Windows Fast Startup you' might get a faster shutdown. That is intuitive, right?

Anyway went in and disabled Fast Startup. Startup is from an SSD anyway so I don't see much difference in boot time. The machine shuts down now in about 20 seconds. My wife is happy. Gotta love Windows 10.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Fast Startup is rubbish. I recall a recent thread somewhere showing tests where maximum gain was about 2 seconds. It also leaves NTFS partitions in a hybrid state which makes them impossible to access from Linux after a Win shutdown.

• Like 2