Slack Go BOOM!

V.T. Eric Layton

• 4 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

--- Another Kernel Upgrade ---

062020-1749hrs (EDT)

All's well now... running 4.4.227 with a reinstalled Nvidia 390.32 drivers. This was a security update that was released about a month ago. I got 'er done today. I'm a little lax (read as lazy) about kernel upgrades. Gun shy a bit, maybe. All went smoothly, though. YAY!

V.T. Eric Layton

Wonder what I'm going to do when Nvidia stops upgrading the drivers for my card. :(

V.T. Eric Layton
16 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Use noveau

I can't. I don't get my monitor's full screen resolution (1680x1050) with Nouveau. :(

• 4 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Well, this was a fun thread to read through. I came back here to post a new message, though...

Gotta' new kernel (security) upgrade in the downloads directory as I type. Going to be upgrading from my current 4.4.227 to 4.4.240. Wish me LUCK! :)

9 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

YAY! I like it when it just works. :)

You could have that feeling all the time if you made the move to Arch 😜

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

OK, it's that time again...

Time for a Slackware kernel upgrade! Oh, boy! And... let's not forget about those updated Nvidia drivers, too. Anyway... I've downloaded all the necessaries and will take care of this chore sometime in the next few days or so. YAY!

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

• 4 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Finally got around to this...

Kernel upgraded to 4.4.261; also, Nvidia drivers upgraded to 390.141.

All's well. :)

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
On 4/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Finally got around to this...

Kernel upgraded to 4.4.261; also, Nvidia drivers upgraded to 390.141.

All's well. :)

I developed excessive CPU cycle usage immediately after upgrading to kernel 4.4.261 recently. This has continued to be an issue for the last few days since the upgrade.

I finally got tired of it and reverted to the previous (back-up) kernel 4.4.240. All's fine again now.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup... probably.

This is a very rare thing in Slackware. I've only had kernel issues after an upgrade a couple times in 15 or so years, so... can't really complain.

• +1 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Arch fanbois! I just can't get away from 'em. :(

I may need to come back to the board.  We need some Gentoo fanbois to balance out the Arch fanbois.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
V.T. Eric Layton
On 4/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I developed excessive CPU cycle usage immediately after upgrading to kernel 4.4.261 recently. This has continued to be an issue for the last few days since the upgrade.

I finally got tired of it and reverted to the previous (back-up) kernel 4.4.240. All's fine again now.

Well, it seems that this may not have been a kernel issue at all. The past few weeks I've been experiencing herky-jerky mouse action and HIGH CPU usage with Firefox. I think maybe the browser was the issue all along.

I've upgraded the kernel to the latest (4.4.261) Slack security upgrade and reinstalled my Nvidia. All seems OK at the moment. I'll have to see if FF starts misbehaving, though.

I understand that the newer versions of FF are more stable and not as CPU hungry. The FF that is on Slackware 14.2 is v68.x ESR. A pal on LinuxQuestions.org tells me that he's successfully upgrade his 14.2 FF to v84.x. I may have to attempt this in the next few days.

V.T. Eric Layton

Running top in terminal since rebooting with this new kernel. I have my usual FF and Thunderbird up and running. So far, CPU is lazing along at under 10% or so.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, one note... Nvidia had a newer driver this time than back when I first tried the 4.4.261 kernel. I wonder if it was and Nvidia issue back then? They sure came out with an upgraded driver quickly since that last one. A fix maybe? Previous was 390.141; this new one is 390.143.

3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

The FF that is on Slackware 14.2 is v68.x ESR.

Does it have moss growing on it? 😁 Even crusty old Debian Buster has FF78 ESR.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1