Digital Photography Through the Years

raymac46

Hard to believe that when the 21st century started, I was using a 1980 manual focusing SLR with 2-3 lenses, and about 20 rolls of color film when I went on holiday. Today I take along something the size of a pack of playing cards.

Since 2003 I have been a digital photographer, used 7 different cameras, four different brands.

If you'd like to see what each camera was capable of, take a look at this blog post:

https://104vaughan.ca/wp/digital-photographs-through-the-years/

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, digital cameras (and the ones on phones) are pretty neato. My only complaint about them is that when folks start snapping pics with these devices at family events and such, you NEVER get to see the darn pics they take because they, more often than not, just leave them on their devices or maybe... maybe transfer them to their computers, if the have such. Sadly, every year at family events bazillions of pics are taken but no one but the photog ever sees them. :(

At least with old film cameras, there was a printed copy somewhere that you might get the chance to see.

It's largely a matter of workflow. Just as I would never shoot rolls of film and not have them developed, I would not leave images forever on a memory card in the camera. I always transfer them to a PC and back them up.

Hawley1917_zpskneb6fri.jpg

Over 100 years ago my 2X great-uncle took this picture of my grandparents and their family. He had a truly excellent Kodak camera at the time. My mother is the babe in arms. It's always good to have at least one person who is interested in photography.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Talk about getting lost! When I saw your picture of your mother as a babe in arms, I decided to look for a baby picture of my mom, who would have turned 99 on Jan. 8th.

Hundreds of pictures later, I can't find it yet. She is sitting on a footstool and this footstool is being used in our home. (It has been reupholstered quite a few times).

I did manage to find a picture of my 6th grade class which I scanned in and will take to my 55th High School Class Reunion this year.

The scan turned out well despite the fact that it was a color picture that didn't age well. After one correction, it looks pretty good. I will soon start scanning some of the thousands of pictures I have and eventually

• Like 1

price-reuinion-1917_zpscocjjnjd.jpg

These old photos are always fun. Here you can see my mother again in this large reunion photo of the Price family in 1917. The man in the white shirt and bow tie holding her is my 2X great-uncle Weston A. Price. He was a famous nutritional scientist back in the early 20th century. Despite the fact he has been dead for over 70 years, he is still quite the Internet fad among the health nuts. You can Google him.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
7 hours ago, Bookmem said:

How do I post that "printed copy" on Facebook?😉

Which is another thing I hate about digital pics. If I wanted my picture splattered all over FaceBook, I'd open my own account and post them.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been out the last couple of mornings taking photos of the ever increasing snow pile in front of my house in Almonte. Usually I just grab my Lumix travel camera but for some reason I decided to take out the Nikon DSLR.

I've been a fan of Nikon since I first picked up the lab's Nikon F over 50 years ago. It took me more than a decade after that before I could afford one, but I've owned a number of Nikon SLRs since  - including my D5500 now.

Nikon is a conservative company. It used the same lens mount for 60 years, it was slow to develop autofocus and digital, and even now it lacks the computational capability and Web connectivity you get in a smartphone. But for those of us who grew up with cameras, Nikon is superb in its design, fit and finish. I love the heft and balance of an SLR, I like looking through a real optical viewfinder, and I enjoy the satisfying "chunk" of the shutter and mirror when you take the picture. No more winding the film or hearing the whir of a motor drive though.

I would be the first person to agree you can get nice photos with a smartphone, if you hold it carefully and keep your fat fingers away from the lens. People who grew up with a nice smartphone would probably feel the same way I do about a "real" camera. Horses for courses, it is the result that counts.

The only disadvantage about using the Nikon is that I once more get the urge to schlep it and its multi lens system along on my next holiday trip. Big mistake.

Sure I'd look cool walking around the upper decks of the ship getting snaps, but hauling a heavy camera system off and onboard to get a few photos in our ports of call gets old fast. Better to remember I don't work for National Geographic and just stick the travel zoom in my pocket for the day. Or for that matter the whole voyage.

But I was tempted...😈

Edited by raymac46