Asus Netbook

DarkSerge

On 1/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well, not really. 64 bit computing is ALWAYS more efficient than 32 bit. To my not-so-vast knowledge (and recent Google research), it is NOT harder on hardware.

But whaddo I know??? ;)

It seems you are correct sir!  I googled too and, if anything, a 64 bit OS woulda run better on 64 bit hardware.  In my defense, I didn't know much back then and I only know a little bit more now.  🙂

On 1/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well, not really. 64 bit computing is ALWAYS more efficient than 32 bit. To my not-so-vast knowledge (and recent Google research), it is NOT harder on hardware.

But whaddo I know??? ;)

It seems you are correct sir!  I googled too and, if anything, a 64 bit OS woulda run better on 64 bit hardware.  In my defense, I didn't know much back then and I only know a little bit more now.  🙂

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

I didn't know much back then and I only know a little bit more now.  🙂

I can relate. Except in my case (getting old, you know), it's "I didn't know much back then, and nowadays, I've forgotten it all."

• Like 1

I tried out Bodhi and Zenwalk. Bodhi just wasn't for me, and it wasn't loading the network stuff properly for some reason so I couldn't tell if I was online. Zenwalk for some reason wouldn't recognize any user other than root, I couldn't log in as anything else. Currently tinkering with it now, going to try Salix on it. 

Update: For whatever reason Salix stopped loading the Live session halfway through suddenly telling me it couldn't find the Live media. Oh well, don't feel like figuring it out. Currently trying out a Sparky Linux session.

Edited by DarkSerge
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 9:50 PM, DarkSerge said:

I've already wiped the drive and installed Linux Lite, it no longer has Win7. Linux takes about 5 minutes or so to boot up. Might try some different distros when I have the time.

The old ASUS hardware was the top of the line unlike the new ASUS hardware sadly witch in my experience ASUS quality has dropped like a rock. I would suggest giving MX Linux. If you do, make sure you don't miss looking in MX Tools and MX Tweak.

securitybreach
18 minutes ago, Mauser said:

The old ASUS hardware was the top of the line unlike the new ASUS hardware sadly witch in my experience ASUS quality has dropped like a rock. I would suggest giving MX Linux. If you do, make sure you don't miss looking in MX Tools and MX Tweak.

I disagree. I have a Ryzen 2700x running on Asus ROG Hero IV motherboard along with a Asus ROG Nvidia GTX 1070 and my system works beautifully on linux.

• +1 1

1 minute ago, securitybreach said:

I disagree. I have a Ryzen 2700x running on Asus ROG Hero IV motherboard along with a Asus ROG Nvidia GTX 1070 and my system works beautifully on linux.

I hope for you it keeps working because that wasn't my experience with the ASUS Tuff 470 Gaming motherboard using a Ryzen 7 1700. After 11 months kernel panics following about a month later that the computer couldn't start into the BIOS.

securitybreach

Well I haven't had a single issue. I don't know if it matters but I tend to buy their higher end stuff. This is also my third Asus motherboard and I hadn't had a problem with any of them

V.T. Eric Layton

My last two or three machine builds were with GigaByte boards. I had one where a PCIe slot wore out on me, but other than that... all's happiness.

We all have our favs. For years, because of a really bad experience, I wouldn't think of using a Seagate drive. It's like getting ptomaine poisoning from a restaurant, which I did once... from a Subway restaurant. You tend not to want to visit that place/chain ever again. It actually took nearly 25 years before I ate at Subway, but I made sure it was something COOKED... meatball sub. ;)

• Like 2
  • +1 1

The old netbook is currently running Sparky Linux and it's doing pretty well so far. Firefox was very sluggish but I installed Chromium and it's doing much better.

• Agree 1