Slackware64 - 14.2: PulseAudio

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm dealing with PulseAudio, but I'm not liking it 100% just yet. I'm having a couple issues with it, actually...

• I cannot get the individual settings like Front-L, Front-R, Center, Rear-L, Rear-R, and Sub to set permanently.

As some of you may know, I'm partially deaf in my right ear (about 30-40% loss, mostly high freqs). Anyway, this makes listening to stereo a bit problematic. With ALSA, I could adjust the individual settings above to favor my right ear, thus making stereo sound balanced. Unfortunately, in pavucontrol (the P-Audio mixer), these individual settings will not stick from one song on YouTube to the next. They default when a new song starts. I'm not sure if this also happens with apps on my system like VLC or Amarok. I haven't tested this issue on those yet.

I've spent the better part of three hours searching online to see if other are having this issue. Some are having similar issues, but not exactly the same as what I'm describing above. It's not like the old ALSA where I could just do "alsactl store" and the settings would be permanent in a config file somewhere.

• If I try to directly adjust the individual output levels in pavucontrol, once I turn the volume down to a lower level (around 15%), they all reset to their "locked" settings.

This is also annoying me. I read on somewhere tonight that this is an unresolved bug, but I don't remember where I saw it.

So, who's the PulseAudio expert around here?

securitybreach

You can use alsa with pulseaudio:

PulseAudio is a general purpose sound server intended to run as a middleware between your applications and your hardware devices, either using ALSA or OSS.

Try a different mixer. Here is a tons of them to choose from, graphical and cli: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#Front-ends

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks, Josh...

Yeah, I'd been looking into different mixers. So far, believe it or not, the out-of-the-box pavucontrol seems to be the best one of the bunch. Unfortunately, pavucontrol has a couple bugs that are annoying. Well, I'm dealing with it OK for now. If I get really aggravated, I'll just follow Pat V.'s instructions to purge PA and use a Pure ALSA sound system on 14.2. It may not come to that, though.

• Like 1