WireGuard Soon?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

At long last, WireGuard VPN is on its way into Linux

By

How much are people looking forward to WireGuard, the new in-kernel Linux virtual private network (VPN)? Well, Linus Torvalds said, "Can I just once again state my love for it and hope it gets merged soon? Maybe the code isn't perfect, but I've skimmed it, and compared to the horrors that are OpenVPN and IPSec, it's a work of art." 

securitybreach

It's an improvement over OpenVPN but unlike others have tried to say online, this doesn't mean that you all will be running VPNs just because you are running Linux. It just means that there is a new piece of software that works better than OpenVPN did. I will trying it out soon as my provider (mullvad) was one of the early adopters and they offer wireshark as a client.

• Like 1

securitybreach

That said:

WireGuard is currently working toward a stable 1.0 release. Current snapshots are generally versioned "0.0.YYYYMMDD" or "0.0.V", but these should not be considered real releases and they may contain security quirks (which would not be eligible for CVEs, since this is pre-release snapshot software). This text will be removed after a thorough audit.

https://www.wireguard.com/#work-in-progress

So the software has not had a proper audit and the protocol is subject to change.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I knew what it was, but you're right... a lot of folks here and there are under the impression that WireGuard IS a VPN. It's not, as we know.

And as far as OpenVPN goes, it's been working fine and dandy for me for quite a few years already. I was able to easily install it using a modified Network Manager app via SlackBuild.

• Like 1