Attachments not working

sunrat

Though I'm not securitybreach, I discovered months ago that the board itself only allows Max total size 0.05MB in attachments. I was able to attach a few things then got a constant error.  "You can only upload a total of 0MB".  You have to look at what you've attached in the past and remove files so you can attach something else.

It is easier to park the file somewhere and post the link with tags, rather than trying to attach it. Also only certain file types are allowed and I can't remember what they are.

I've only ever pasted graphics. I'm not sure how you'd attach a pdf.

I'll try attaching a small pdf.

I deleted the attachment I had here. Dec. 9 2019

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

Attachments, particularly vids and images, take up a lot of space on Scot's server. This is why I specifically set the attachment limit so low when I was first tweaking the board settings. However, with so few of us actually posting here these days, it would probably be alright to set that limit a bit higher.

Personally, I rarely ever use attachments on forums. I've just never had a need to, but that's just me. I serve images from Imgur; let them store the carp instead of burdening forum servers. As for documents and such, I s'pose there is a need for that occasionally.

I'll see what I can do to fix the limit.

V.T. Eric Layton

OK...

- increased attachment limit to 500K for all Groups except Banned and Guests

- allowed posters to delete their own attachments

• Haha 1

I see "Unavailable" on zlim's pdf attachment so that confirms attachments are just not working at all.

I can stick to putting docs on box.com , they are pretty generous for a free account. And images on imgur or postimage. I also use paste.debian.net for log files and code stuff sometimes.

BTW I'll put in a plug for box.com here. I've been using it for years. It's more business-oriented but the free personal account gives you 10GB with a nice simple interface. https://www.box.com/pricing/individual

I see "Unavailable" on zlim's pdf attachment

I'm curious if others can see this pdf or get unavailable too.

I dragged it from my gdrive so maybe only I can see and download it because it isn't shared.

I'm trying to figure out if it is a problem on my end or sunrat's end.

I got Unavailable as well...

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

Edited by Pete!

9 hours ago, zlim said:

I'm curious if others can see this pdf or get unavailable too.

I dragged it from my gdrive so maybe only I can see and download it because it isn't shared.

I'm trying to figure out if it is a problem on my end or sunrat's end.

This topic was prompted by a topic in BATL in which securitybreach could not get a small attachment I uploaded.

I removed the one from BATL but I see Unavailable on Eric's one above. I'm out of town for a few days so can't check on my usual system. Just on phone atm.

Eric, I see parted.pdf and under it unavailable. When I click on it, I get the same message that Pete posted above.

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

Perhaps the forum software doesn't allow pdf files?

So it isn't just sunrat nor a gdrive permission issue.

I looked up that error but it didn't give me anything helpful.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm...

Pete's .pdf VeteranApp was "Unavailable" for me, too.

This must be some weird permissions issue. It may take me some time to figure this out. I've got a lot of Real Life® carp going on right now. Be patient...

test 2

the jpg 904058994_rummy.jpg.bb56a3245c46926add15d8b0acf69ba4.jpg

the pdf VeteranApp.pdf

Strange ...

When I open the jpg. in a new tab, the address is a Scot's url.

When I open the pdf in a new tab, the address is on my hard drive

Edited by Pete!
comment

V.T. Eric Layton

When you upload something from your computer to another server (Scot's), the link address changes. The reason your .pdf doesn't change is because you don't need to download it to your system because it's already there, so clicking on the .pdf just loads the one already on your system.

V.T. Eric Layton

Note: Any attachments added prior to just now will not be available. If you'd like to try... upload your test attachments again.

I think I found and fixed the permissions issue that was preventing downloading of others' attachments. Test and see...

Let me know if all's well now.

The last 2 posts in the Edge of the Universe belong here, not in amongst the jokes.

I was able to download Pete's pdf from above.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
10 hours ago, zlim said:

The last 2 posts in the Edge of the Universe belong here

Thanks, Liz! I moved them here. :)

Thanks Eric for all the time you spent figuring out the mysteries surrounding attachments. :biggrin:

I generally just attach a picture. If I want someone to grab a file, I normally send a PM with a link to my gdrive. That way, the world can't go to my gdrive and grab the file.

• Thanks 1

V.T. Eric Layton

No problem. That Admin area can sometimes be a bit daunting when it comes to finding stuff. I knew it was a permissions issue; just could find the darn settings for it.

Oh, and I also bumped the attachment limit per poster to 2.5M, so if you reach your 2.5M quota down the road, you'll just have to delete some of you older attachments to give yourself some more space. :)

Also, I'm kinda' sad that no one noticed the little snowman on the Scot's banner up top here. Tis the season and all that. ;)

I did notice it. I should have commented at how cute it looks.

I also like the fact that the new version of the software has links to mark forums read at the top and bottom. I don't hink any other place has that and it saves me scrolling, which I like a lot.

• Like 2