regular user control over root owned files

crp

Found out today while doing work on a java program that in Linux a regular user can move a file in it's directory that is owned by root and to which a regular user has no modification rights to , can be moved by regular user to a different directory that regular user has access to. Why? How?

securitybreach

And I bet that your user has sudo rights because linux uses strict permissions to do things. Also, perhaps its a member of a java group that has sudo/root access.

V.T. Eric Layton

How was the Java program installed on that Linux? As root? If so, the Java program probably has root rights/permissions. What distribution of Linux are we talking about here?

• Like 1

It's often possible to copy a root-owned file as user to a user-owned directory, but not to edit, move or delete it. You can't move it back though.

• Like 2

The application was a java program installed as  regularUser, who does not have sudo.

Was able to replicate the situation as soon as i saw it. Logged in as root, created a file in regularUser directory tree, checked that the file was owned by root:root. Sunrat, I was able to move as regularUser the root created file to a subdirectory owned by regularUser Not just copy, but move. 

CentoOS 7 .