Zim Desktop Wiki export

sunrat

securitybreach
22 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Some good info there in your notes, Sunrat.  I'm looking at the html right now.  Thanks!

Agreed :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, securitybreach said:
On 1/17/2021 at 5:05 AM, wa4chq said:

Some good info there in your notes, Sunrat.  I'm looking at the html right now.  Thanks!

Agreed

Thanks, been collecting those notes for a while. I have added a few since posting that. I do still need to tidy it up and remove a couple of deprecated commands.

There are some little-known programs/commands in it which are perfect for very specific situations like sacad (Super Album Cover Automatic Downloader) which tries to download album cover images from the internet and can do a whole collection at once. It occasionally pulls in an incorrect image so need to manually check them but can save much time.

• Agree 1

I remember when I bought the Linux Cookbook....I went thru that thing cover to cover trying everything out.....I should have been taking notes....lol but that's the story of my life.  But to be honest, I have saved stuff and do refer back to them now and then.  That's why linux appeals to me compared to Windows.....you have control.

• 3 years later...
abarbarian

As I have been busy doing a fresh install of Arch on my newly built computer I have been reading a lot of notes and information all over the place. As I keep quite a few notes in ZIM and they have become out of date or just messy and in some cases incomprehensible I decided to tidy zim up. To do this has meant a lot of reading which has been giving me a bit of eye strain looking at vast acres of white backgrounds. I have my mousepad with a darker background and find it quite soothing so thought I would do the same thing in zim.

Turns out is not so simple. If I was running Gnome I could probably do it quite easily but I am running Window Maker and have no experience with Gnome. Found some very nice looking Gnome themes but have no idea how to install them and even if I did would they interfere with my Window Maker themes? Reading up on this was giving  me a headache so looked for another solution.

Eventually found out how to make the changes I wanted, well sort of. I have a working solution but it is a work in progress as the colours are not quite suitable for me. Any ways here is a looksee,

aZyXJH6.png

For me that is easier on the eye and has reduced the eye strain a lot. It is not perfect as the top section is still white but I can live with that for now. maybe someone can give a solution to that.

Here is what I did.

Created a file.

/home/bloodaxe/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

with this content

#zim-pageview text {

background-color: #91dfb8 ;  /* changes the background color of the Zim's page editor */
       color: #0f0808 ; /* foreground text color */
       font : "jetbrains mono nl:semibold:antialias=true";
  }

#zim-pageindex {
    color :  #0f0808 ;
    font : "jetbrains mono nl:semibold:antialias=true";
    background-color : #91dfb8 ;
}

Am not sure if the " font " alteration is correct but am too whacked out to test it out for now.

😛

• Like 1

Hedon James
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

As I have been busy doing a fresh install of Arch on my newly built computer I have been reading a lot of notes and information all over the place. As I keep quite a few notes in ZIM and they have become out of date or just messy and in some cases incomprehensible I decided to tidy zim up. To do this has meant a lot of reading which has been giving me a bit of eye strain looking at vast acres of white backgrounds. I have my mousepad with a darker background and find it quite soothing so thought I would do the same thing in zim.

Turns out is not so simple. If I was running Gnome I could probably do it quite easily but I am running Window Maker and have no experience with Gnome. Found some very nice looking Gnome themes but have no idea how to install them and even if I did would they interfere with my Window Maker themes? Reading up on this was giving  me a headache so looked for another solution.

Eventually found out how to make the changes I wanted, well sort of. I have a working solution but it is a work in progress as the colours are not quite suitable for me. Any ways here is a looksee,

aZyXJH6.png

For me that is easier on the eye and has reduced the eye strain a lot. It is not perfect as the top section is still white but I can live with that for now. maybe someone can give a solution to that.

Here is what I did.

Created a file.

with this content

Am not sure if the " font " alteration is correct but am too whacked out to test it out for now.

😛

I recently experienced something similar, while I was trying to make my Linux Apps resemble my ChromeOS theme on my Chromebook.  I think you're on the right track.  See if this isn't what you're trying to accomplish:

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/gtk-applications-dark-theme

I employed the 3.1 solution for my Chromebook, but since you're using WindowMaker, I think you may be interested in solution 3.3 (application specific themeing?).

• Like 1

abarbarian
21 hours ago, Hedon James said:

I think you're on the right track. 

I'm not so sure about that 🤣

Not sure if I want all stuff looking like GTK. As am not sure if it will interfere with the Window Maker themes. Thanks for the link. I'll run with what I have at present and look into this more when I have finished with more important setting up stuff. 😎

abarbarian
3 hours ago, sunrat said:

zim.thumb.png.9441003f757122715ea122d8b50407ee.png

More info  needed !!!

I guess you have GTK on all the pc. Or is it just a Zim customisation ? Looks pretty neat.

I quite like the various Nordic themes. The Dracula ones are neat but a tad too much odd colours for me. 😎

Hedon James
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

I'm not so sure about that 🤣

Not sure if I want all stuff looking like GTK. As am not sure if it will interfere with the Window Maker themes. Thanks for the link. I'll run with what I have at present and look into this more when I have finished with more important setting up stuff. 😎

I hear ya buddy, and since I don't know what engine WM uses for theming either, I can't say for certain if it will affect WM themes.

But the 2 modifications that I reference from the article are ONE LINERS....you've already worked harder to create the green & yellow theme.  If the 3.1 solution buggers up your WM themes, you can change it to solution 3.3....theme preferences for a specific application, such as "zim".  If it's a 10-step process, you're already on step 9 brutha....ya just gotta nudge it over the finish line.  Literally....nudge it with a one-liner modification. 

Unless you prefer the green & yellow theme?  In which case, apologies for the misunderstanding...carry on!

securitybreach
On 3/16/2024 at 8:23 AM, abarbarian said:

aZyXJH6.png

Here is what I did.

Created a file.

with this content

😛

Very cool :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Here I am just remembering everything instead of making notes. Perhaps I should try out some notes sometimes.

abarbarian
5 hours ago, sunrat said:

@abarbarian That's just how it looks by default in KDE Plasma with Breeze Dark theme. I haven't changed anything.

Ah ha righty ho . 😁

5 hours ago, Hedon James said:

If the 3.1 solution buggers up your WM themes, you can change it

I have found over the years that once I bork Window Maker it either takes an inordinate amount of time to sort it or it never gets sorted and I have to start again.  :hysterical:

This` file is mentioned elsewhere  ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini  but I do not have one at all. I did not have a ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css one either . I  made one of those as I knew it was zim specific. Not at all sure how that .ini file would react with my set up. Later on I will have another look at this but am too busy getting the new install right. I did an awful lot of fiddling on the last install and it is taking me some time to sort out what was useful and what is total rubbish. Once I have a decent clean set up and a backup made I might start fiddling again/, but in a more scientific way rather that the gung ho method I have been using. 😋

Changing the colours I have is a simple cut and paste of colour codes, hard part is choosing. 😎