Zim Desktop Wiki export

sunrat

I always put my Linux notes in Zim Desktop Wiki and it has a neat feature which can export all/any notes as HTML page/pages so you can share them.

Mine needs a bit of tidying (will do soon, I promise ;)) as it's been going for six years now and has a couple of random links which should have been subpages and some old info which may be deprecated. But 95% of it is important commands and info I refer to often. Here it is for your perusal and possible enlightenment.

Download html page:

https://app.box.com/s/mlbnboni5bgar6k6pu8w7mxaaak39c7c

Or zipped:

https://app.box.com/s/fa0fu2jbiuqt4qub3aykh7wapdqmvsjo

• Like 1

securitybreach

Ha, I searched for the zim package and it turns out that I already had it installed. Perhaps you mentioned it before or something??

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Your link does not work and just says Unavailable

GwxrD50.png

I just put it as an attachment to the forum and it uploaded and shows here. I'll try zipping it.

And Zim is not an editor so I don't know what that has to do with it. It's a wiki with indexes and stuff so you can find your notes easily.

Attachment take 2: now I got "You are only allowed to upload 10.24kB." will delete previous attachment ^

Attachment take 3, assuming it only allows 50KB total, not 50KB per attachment. >>

sunrat_zimwiki.zip

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, sunrat said:

I just put it as an attachment to the forum and it uploaded and shows here. I'll try zipping it.

And Zim is not an editor so I don't know what that has to do with it. It's a wiki with indexes and stuff so you can find your notes easily.

Attachment take 2: now I got "You are only allowed to upload 10.24kB." will delete previous attachment ^

Well zim claims to be one:

Zim is a graphical text editor used to maintain a collection of wiki pages. Each page can contain links to other pages, simple formatting and images. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, and can have attachments.

https://zim-wiki.org/

Well yeah it edits the text of its own wiki pages. It wouldn't make sense to try to use it in place of Nano or Kate ie. real text editors (or nerdy ones like vim). :D

Can you download the zipped file above?

securitybreach
23 minutes ago, sunrat said:

The one in this post? https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/96416-zim-desktop-wiki-export/&do=findComment&comment=461604

Not the top post, I deleted that one. If you can't download it there's a problem with attachments on the forum. It's only 13.1 KB so should be fine.

It's the same as your first one. It says Unavailable as before.

5QkA9O9.png

securitybreach
43 minutes ago, sunrat said:

So now we know not to use forum attachments. I'll edit the first post to put those links in.

Huh? Those were website links??

3 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Huh? Those were website links??

The attachments were files I just dragged and dropped to the "Drag files here..." box at the bottom of the posting section. I only resorted to uploading them to Box when the attachments didn't work for you.

securitybreach
21 hours ago, sunrat said:

Try this then (html):

Or zipped:

There's definitely something weird going on with forum attachments if it's unavailable to you. First time I ever tried to use one.

Oh, the above were the links I was referring to when I said "Neat Stuff".

12 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Oh, the above were the links I was referring to when I said "Neat Stuff".

Yes I understood that to mean you downloaded and perused my file.

We should take this attachments discussion to the testing subforum.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 10:39 PM, sunrat said:

I always put my Linux notes in Zim Desktop Wiki and it has a neat feature which can export all/any notes as HTML page/pages so you can share them.

Mine needs a bit of tidying (will do soon, I promise ;)) as it's been going for six years now and has a couple of random links which should have been subpages and some old info which may be deprecated. But 95% of it is important commands and info I refer to often. Here it is for your perusal and possible enlightenment.

Download html page:

Or zipped:

Tried out the first link and it takes me to box.com where your document starts to load but never completes. I can download the file or view it as a web page, I did the later and get this,

JNYEoUT.png

You have a different way of setting out your Zim.Below is an example from my Zim,

oyvFNr4.png

BU9wb2j.png

As you can see my Window Maker page is full to bursting. Funny how that old WM keeps on popping up in threads 🤣

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Wow, impressive. I keep zero notes but I probably should....I just re-google (ddg) whatever I need.

I never needed notes until I started using Arch. 😲

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Tried out the first link and it takes me to box.com where your document starts to load but never completes. I can download the file or view it as a web page, I did the later and get this,

You have a different way of setting out your Zim.Below is an example from my Zim, ...

Yes it needs to be downloaded or you just get raw html code. That's why I added the zip version.

I need to tidy up Zim one day. I started off putting links on each main page but then changed to sub pages but some links remain. Sub pages like yours is a neater way to do it.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:12 PM, sunrat said:

Yes it needs to be downloaded or you just get raw html code. That's why I added the zip version.

I need to tidy up Zim one day. I started off putting links on each main page but then changed to sub pages but some links remain. Sub pages like yours is a neater way to do it.

HGB0ruy.png

What I really like about Zim is the way you can link pages within the notebook to gain extra knowledge on a subject. Handily placed at the top of the page so you get a reminder and a clickable link.

😎

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

$L3RfRA0.png

As I have been creating a fresh install of Arch i have taken the time to tidy up my Zim. I have been changing the highlighted install date to 2021 so that I know which programs have been  re-installed.

As pacaur is an AUR package I have to build it and install it myself, after doing that I had an error message about " $VISUAL or $EDITOR environment variables". This was a tad difficult for me to sort out as I find the overload of information confuses me. I sorted it out and to save my grey cell from overheating in future I made this simple tip and added it to Zim.

Set $VISUAL or $EDITOR environment variables after installing. I added " export EDITOR='nano' " to .bashrc and it worked.

However another error message appeared,

auracle: error while loading shared libraries: libalpm.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and I followed my previously made footnote via the handy,

See also A:auracle-git

at the top of the page. This led me to

FkALTV5.png

where I followed the " makepkg -si " instruction and had a,

==> ERROR: Cannot find the fakeroot binary required for building as non-root user.
==> ERROR: Cannot find the strip binary required for object file stripping.

which was quickly resolved by installing the base-devel package. Without these handy Zim notes I would have spent endless frustrating hours looking up information on the net.

One new aspect of Zim that I learnt whilst doing the above was that you can for instance type out a path like,

/home/bloodaxe/NewPrograms/auracle-git

and then use it to create a link which when left clicked on opens up your file manager at the address given. Which is handy enough, but there is more,

C3eJoC2.png

see the blue highlighted links in the screenshot well left clicking on those opens up the .conf in a  graphical text editor which is very handy if you have to make some changes to the .conf. Save a lot of typing and no need to open up a terminal which is fab for a lazy git like me.

😎

securitybreach

You guys are very organized. I do not keep notes at all really. I have some text documents but they are just plain text written using vim. 

Abarbarian: I am simple and just view the man pages via the terminal or the wiki ;)

• +1 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:39 PM, sunrat said:

Download html page:

Or zipped:

Some good info there in your notes, Sunrat.  I'm looking at the html right now.  Thanks!