all over the place

saturnian

Any GNOME Shell users here? I like using various DEs and WMs, but it kind of surprises me sometimes that I've come to enjoy using GNOME Shell so much.

I don't know if this is cheating but I'm using Double Commander, Terminator, and Geany instead of the default Nautilus (Files), GNOME Terminal, and gedit. Also, I go with something lighter for my slower computers -- Xfce, LXQt, Openbox, Fluxbox.

I like KDE Plasma, too.

I can't really say for sure which DE/WM I like the most, but I have more Openbox setups than any of the others.

I like that I don't have to look at the same desktop each day. Can't seem to pick just one and stick with it. Started out years back as a KDE3 user. Seems like the more time I spend with any particular DE or WM, the more I warm up to it.

I've been a GNOME-ie for a long time, although it took me a while to warm up to GNOME 3. I found I had to use the Shell Extensions to get the look and feel I liked. I have Dash to Dock and one other that gets rid of Activities and replaces it with Gnome 2 like panel options.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

screen-e1574350405257.png

This is my current GNOME desktop in Debian. I use the default file manager, text editor and terminal apps though.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

Nice, raymac! The only extension I'm using, the package is named gnome-shell-extension-appindicator, but in the Tweaks GUI it shows up as "Kstatusnotifieritem/appindicator support". I added it to show an icon on the panel for Variety wallpaper changer. I've played around with some other extensions in the past but finally decided that I don't need them.

Often, I use the "Windows" button to toggle the overview, and Alt+Tab to switch between open windows. I keep the following note, a cheat sheet, in my home directory:

Alt + F2 (or Fn + Alt + F2) - run command dialog

Alt + F2, R - restart GNOME Shell

Alt + Tab (or Super + Tab) - switch between open windows; from the overview, switch between open windows in the current workspace.

"Super" ("Windows") key (or Alt + F1) - toggles the overview. From the overview, Tab switches between open windows in the current workspace; Pg Up and Pg Dn to move to previous/next workspace; Enter to go to the active window.

Super + Pg Up, Super + Pg Dn (or Ctrl + Alt + up/down arrow) - Switch to previous/next workspace.

Super + M - same as clicking on the date on the top panel, opens calendar and notfications tray.

To see all GNOME Shell keystrokes, see System Settings > Keyboard.

Edited by saturnian
  • Like 1

DSC_0175-scaled-e1574433887460.jpg

This is the picture I use for wallpaper on my Debian LightDM login screen. It is the river at the base of the falls in Almonte. Picture was taken with a  modern DSLR and an old manual focus lens from 1990.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Off topic I suppose - but since my cataract surgery I am seeing much more clearly and I am able to focus a camera manually again after about 20 years of autofocus.

• Like 2

Pretty boring but I am stuck firmly with Window Maker. It seems to have almost all the fancy stuff more modern DE/WM's have and is easy peasy to customise. I like that I can create or use my own icon images.

I lurve Window Maker.

😎

11 hours ago, raymac46 said:

DSC_0175-scaled-e1574433887460.jpg

This is the picture I use for wallpaper on my Debian LightDM login screen. It is the river at the base of the falls in Almonte. Picture was taken with a  modern DSLR and an old manual focus lens from 1990.

Beautiful. Love the serenity. Reminds me of "The Castle", one of the best Aussie films ever. short clip - 44s:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice photos, Ray! I never could understand why humans would want to live in places where it snows. So inconvenient just getting around, and all those clothes you have to wear! I'm not a fan of cold either although snow is nice to visit and I had a ball skiing a few times. It does make for some pretty photos. We're heading for summer here and had our hottest November day ever last week - 41.5℃ (106.7 °F in legacy scale).

Living some place where it snows means you get the change of seasons, which I enjoy. In fact, I'd have headed for New England to live except that they have even more of the cold and dratted white stuff.

V.T. Eric Layton

We get the change of seasons in Florida. The only difference is that there are only two seasons; summer lasts about nine months and fallwinspring lasts only three. 😜

• Like 1

If you live in Canada you have no way to escape the snow unless you travel Internationally. So for the most part, we deal with it. On the plus side we don't have pythons, vipers , killer bees, scorpions...

I was born here so it's easy to handle what you are used to. OTOH lots of folks want to move here so winter can't be that much of a problem.

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

If you live in Canada you have no way to escape the snow unless you travel Internationally. So for the most part, we deal with it.

Live in a large city and never walk outside, problem solved B)

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Screw that, I'm happy with our two weeks of winter here. There is a reason that I live at the bottom of the map.

Seriously!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, sunrat said:

Nice photos, Ray! I never could understand why humans would want to live in places where it snows. So inconvenient just getting around, and all those clothes you have to wear! I'm not a fan of cold either although snow is nice to visit and I had a ball skiing a few times. It does make for some pretty photos. We're heading for summer here and had our hottest November day ever last week - 41.5℃ (106.7 °F in legacy scale).

So the sunrat prefers SUN and warm weather?  go figure?!  at least your momma named you right?!

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, wa4chq said:

Saturnian, I think you set yourself up for that one! 

Lol! Yep! I may be the oddball, but isn't Linux the perfect OS for oddballs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1