It seems that every time I post an item for sale on craigslist, I get several responses from people phishing for email addresses.  I always state quite clearly in my post that I never respond to email request, but that doesn't stop them from trying.  I know it probably won't help to deter them, but it gives me a little satisfaction.  I created an email account on mail.com called bottomlesspit that I use only to respond to these request with this message  "This is an automated response to an email phishing attack.  I hope you enjoy sending lots of emails to this bottomlesspit that NEVER GETS READ!!"

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 3

That's normal for Craigslist. It's been toxic for many years now. Expect most of the responses to be various scams trying to get you to ship the item, accept Western Express, pay you more than the item costs expecting you to send the extra back, etc. You name it and it's found on Craigslist. The maintainers do not even care anymore.

Many years ago, I used to find it funny to scam the scammers on Craigslist as I was always selling things. I probably had $100,000 in fake checks with funny made up names that a buddy and I would come up with. The mailman used to get a kick out of the names.

A friend of mine managed to get a scammer to admit it was a scam thinking that he was going to help from an American.

It was fun times B)

34 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

That's normal for Craigslist. It's been toxic for many years now. Expect most of the responses to be various scams trying to get you to ship the item, accept Western Express, pay you more than the item costs expecting you to send the extra back, etc. You name it and it's found on Craigslist. The maintainers do not even care anymore.

The only good news is that these scammers are so eager that they always jump right on new posts.  So after the first couple of hours, they have all made their attempts and things settle down.  Any responses after that are likely to be legit.  Of course, anyone offering cashier's checks or Paypal are obvious scammers.  With craigslist, I'll only accept cash and personal pickup in a public place of my choosing.

43 minutes ago, Bookmem said:

With craigslist, I'll only accept cash and personal pickup in a public place of my choosing.

That is literally the only way to get a real buyer.