Counterfeit SD card

Bookmem

Has anyone else noticed the proliferation of counterfeit SD cards on the market?  At first, I thought it was just a eBay thing, but I recently tried buying 256gb cards from Amazon.  Twice in a row, I got stung.  They've even gotten to the point where they pass Sandisk's test software.  But when you copy data to them, they write the first 32gb at class 4 speed, even though they claim to be class 10, then the write speeds up.  It can go super fast because they're not really writing anything past 32gb!!   Why eBay and Amazon don't police their sellers more carefully, is beyond me.  They have to honor the returns and I always let them know that the seller is pushing COUNTERFEIT cards and not just defective ones.  And you can't go by brand name either.  They are counterfeiting the labels and packaging as well.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, zlim said:

I have never purchased a thing from eBay. I do buy from Amazon but not too often from 3rd party sellers on Amazon. (exception paperback books)

Read this

https://thetechreviewer.com/tech-tips/fake-sandisk-sd-card-counterfeit/

I purchase my SD cards either from a Brick and Mortar store or from the SanDisk website.

I've never had a problem with ones I've purchased from Newegg.  I like SanDisk for critical tasks, but I've found the cheaper TEAMGROUP cards work well in cases wear the card is basically written to one time to store a 'library".  I have a Karaoke library of 50,000 songs that takes almost 200gb of storage space.  I have several devices on which I keep a copy.  Never had a problem using the TG cards to do it.

I have sd card from: Kingston, HP, and Lexar as well as SanDisk. I store movies on them. PNY for the digital camera.

I have microsd cards from Samsung (in android phone), PNY, GSkill, as well as SanDisk for the android tablets and the mp3 players. I also put them into a card holder and use them in the netbooks (three) that have slots.

I usually buy a name brand, just like my USB sticks.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... interesting. I've been dealing with eBay for many, many years with no troubles at all. I only buy from dealers with very high % approval ratings. I have bought SD cards from eBay in the past, but never had any issues with them. Of course, I haven't bought any in the past couple years, so... ?

I'm not surprised, though. That's how our world is... someone's always trying to scam someone else. :(

39 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I'm not surprised, though. That's how our world is... someone's always trying to scam someone else. :(

Amen brother. I try to avoid buying anything online unless it's absolutely unavailable from a store.

Currently trying to deal with an undelivered package of herbal supplements from the US that tracking says was delivered 3 weeks ago. Possibly it was stolen from my mailbox, but I didn't receive it so it's undelivered from my perspective.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've been really lucky when it comes to mail-order or Internet purchases. I only had one issue once, but it was a BIG one! I ordered some bulk nuts from a place in NYC for a Canadian friend. I had it shipped here, then I repackaged and shipped (via U.S. Mail) to her in Canada. Somewhere along the line one of the three boxed got lost/stolen.

I filed a report with USPS. They told me it was Canada's fault. Canada was telling my friend up there that it was the U.S.' fault. This went back and forth for about 6 months. This was $55 worth of nuts in this one box, so we were definitely going to pursue recovery, since I shipped it insured.

Long story made a bit shorter...

I finally had to write a very peeved letter (sent Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested) to the U.S. Post Master General in Washington, D.C. I had a check next day delivered to my door for the full amount of the lost item and a refund of $14 and change that I spent on the insurance for the entire shipment and $10 that it cost me to send the Certified bitching letter. There was also a very sincere reply from the Post Master apologizing for all the troubles I had trying to get the claim settled.

Sometimes, it pays off to bitch a little. ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sunrat said:

Amen brother. I try to avoid buying anything online unless it's absolutely unavailable from a store.

Currently trying to deal with an undelivered package of herbal supplements from the US that tracking says was delivered 3 weeks ago. Possibly it was stolen from my mailbox, but I didn't receive it so it's undelivered from my perspective.

About the only thing I don't buy online are groceries.  I happen to live in a 400 unit apt bldg for the elderly and the mailboxes are in the lobby in sight of a security guard 24/7.  The mailman or delivery driver will leave packages by my door if I'm not here but there is limited access to the bldg and cameras in all the hallways.  So, I've never had a package go missing.  I didn't lose money on the counterfeit SDs because both Amazon and eBay have very liberal return policies.  It just an inconvenience having to return them and wait for replacements.

• Like 2

Hello,

Pretty common scam, unfortunately.  Best to ensure you're buying direct from Amazon (NewEgg, etc.) or the manufacturer to avoid such scams.  Even then, it's still possible to get stung if the inventory is mixed (I think Amazon might sometimes mix and match their own and third-party inventory i their warehouse, possibly to save on distance that pickers have to move when fulfilling your order).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2