Firefox telemetry and data collection denial

sunrat

Just found this interesting and vast guide to reducing outgoing tracking data from Firefox. It's in the form of a user.js file which you could deploy altogether, or select particular items and edit them with about:config. Firefox does appear to send various data out and most of us probably don't need the functionality this data supports. Who ever used "Pocket" for instance? :hmm:😬;)

https://gist.github.com/MrYar/751e0e5f3f1430db7ec5a8c8aa237b72

• Like 1

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Started doing that in FF70 I think. I'm still going to keep Privacy Badger anyway.

Of course. Plus ghostery, ublock origin, decentraleyes and canvas blocker

sunrat, thanks for the link to the informative article.

I dislike depending on an unknown file to make changes so I'll be studying what changes I can manually make myself and taking notes so I can undo what I dislike. This might take me a few days to go through everything. I'm cautuious and only make 1 or 2 changes at a time and test how things work.

Who knows, it might speed up my FF ESR. I switched from FF to Palemoon as my default browser simply because it is so much faster.

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, zlim said:

Who knows, it might speed up my FF ESR. I switched from FF to Palemoon as my default browser simply because it is so much faster.

What do you mean by speed? I have not ever noticed firefox or chrome slowing down.

I definitely noticed FF slowing down on mother's win7 laptop in the sense that it took ages to start up for the first time each day. There was also some showing down of loading web pages in general. Both seem to have improved. Two things happened almost at the same time: FF updated to another version and I updated ESET Internet Security to newest version, so I can't say which event may have brought about the improvement.

Edited by ebrke

securitybreach

Well that could be a lack of ram, something on windows 7 running in the background that was taking up system resources, etc. Even on a powerful system, windows hiccups for no apparent reason. We always chalk it up to poor programming.