Sign in to follow this  
Bookmem

Android emulator

My primary box has been Linux for close to twenty years.  But I'm still running Win 10 on my secondary one for one main reason.  I have several apps running on my Android tablets that I really like, and, to date, I have yet to find an Android emulator for Linux that works anywhere near as well as Memu on Windows.  I've tried both Ambor and running Android x86 via Virtualbox and neither one is acceptable.  Google does a good job running the apps in ChromeOS, so why hasn't someone done it for Linux?  I think if people could run their Smartphone apps on their Linux desktops and laptops, it would go a long way in getting people to switch from Windows.

53 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

My bad.  Typo when I typed Ambor instead of Anbox.  And unless they've made vast improvements just recently, then it doesn't really run the majority of Android apps they way Memu does in Windows or ChromeOS does natively.  But I'll give it a try again just to be sure.

Edited by Bookmem

no problem.  I haven't tried Anbox, but I did remember reading about it and filing that info away for future reference.  the only other thought I'd have is to try ChromeOS in Virtualbox, rather than Android.  I'll be watching this thread with interest to see what else I can learn.  Good luck!

Edited by Hedon James

1 hour ago, Bookmem said:

My bad.  Typo when I typed Ambor instead of Anbox.  And unless they've made vast improvements just recently, then it doesn't really run the majority of Android apps they way Memu does in Windows or ChromeOS does natively.  But I'll give it a try again just to be sure.

Well, that was a bust.  I jumped through all of the hoops to intall Anbox via snapd but when I launch it,  a window opens for a short time, with the title "Application Manager", and then shuts down.