Running Obsolete Linux

raymac46

I have a friend in the 'hood who has an old but still capable eMachines desktop in his basement. I installed Linux Mint for him a few years ago to replace Windows XP. He also has a Windows 10 laptop but that is another story.

I should probably upgrade his old machine to the latest LM but I am torn.

He is one of those unknowledgeable and out of control users. Shortly after I installed Linux Mint and unwisely included WINE with it, he used WINE to set up and run a hopelessly obsolete version of Ancestry's Family Tree Maker. This one wouldn't even run on Windows XP. By now he's likely got gigabytes of family data squirreled away and it'll take hours to find it, back it up and reinstall it after a Linux upgrade.

I'm just going to let him run the old Linux version I think. He might get hacked but it isn't likely.

When you help people out you can't take total ownership of their situation unless you have control - which I clearly do not in this case.

securitybreach

Personally, I would clone his harddrive using clonezilla. Then try to do an upgrade to a current version. It may upgrade just fine and it would be worth trying,.

If it fails to upgrade, simply restore the clone.

• Like 1

building on SBs suggestion, and assuming you CAN install newer version of Mint, I'd install with a separate /home partition; then mount the clonezilla backup and rsync his old home directory to his new /home partition.  a lot of work, but probably save yourself future efforts in the long run.

• Like 1

securitybreach
5 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

My solution would be to change your phone number and possibly move to another city/country. ;)

Rofl :hysterical:

• Haha 1

Maybe I should give him Josh's and HJ's email.😜

This is a guy who spent months setting up a massive email database inside Outlook 2003 on the Windows side of things. Most of these emails contain attachments he could just have saved locally. He doesn't want to run any email app except Outlook 2003. I suppose I should be grateful he didn't use Outook Express.

securitybreach
27 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Maybe I should give him Josh's and HJ's email.😜

This is a guy who spent months setting up a massive email database inside Outlook 2003 on the Windows side of things. Most of these emails contain attachments he could just have saved locally. He doesn't want to run any email app except Outlook 2003. I suppose I should be grateful he didn't use Outook Express.

Outlook 2003 is not even supported by Microsoft any more:

"Outlook 2003  will transition out of extended support on 8th of April 2014"

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/rmilne/2013/10/07/save-the-date-end-of-exchange-2003-supportt-minus-6-months/

So he is probably full of viruses or part of a botnet by now.

• Like 1