Line-in doesn't appear on mixer menu. help?

jeffw_00

Hi - So over the last few months, I transitioned all my machines from W7 to W10.  I've swatted down many issues (and actually been impressed as to how googling has found me on-point answers so quickly). BUT - I have one annoying issue left and it's driving me nuts, and I can't find anything on the web.  I have a generic desktop PC running W10 Home, latest update, with an ASUS H110M-A motherboard with integrated audio (Realtek HD Audio).  I'm running the latest driver I can find (Realtek 6/3/2016 6.0.1.7841).

Problem:  I cannot get "Line In" to appear on the Sound Mixer.  Every time I want to mute my line-in I have to open up the Sound Manager, select Line in, select Playback Volume, and select Mute.  (4 steps :-( )

I have gone to the Sound Control Panel -> Recording -> Line In -> Properties  -> Listen  and checked "Listen to this device"  - which is supposed to fix it, but...  no luck.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to debug?

Many thanks!
/j

Hi  - I just spent some time with it - that didn't work.  The only thing that did work was removing all traces of audio driver and re-installing the driver for this motherboard from the Asus site.   Which shows up as Reaktek 6.0.1.7701 dated 12/22/15.  

I may be SOL until I next upgrade my system :-(.

Apparently, only this old driver has the extra "sound manager" component, which appears to be needed to allow me to access a menu that enables/disables Line-in as mentioned in my O.P. 

With all the newer drivers, this Sound Manager component was absent, line-in was silent, and did not appear on the mixer menu.

It's weird, because my wife has a slightly older ASUS MOBO (B85M-G), and similar configuration. Her drivers shows as 6.0.1.7071 dated 10/22/2013 - and she has the line in on the mixer.   Maybe I should try downloading the ASUS-sourced Realtek driver for her MOBO 🙂

Anyway - many thanks

/j

Update - when I try to download the driver for her MOBO- they have posted only an updated one with  a Rev # slightly -higher- than 7701.   Go figure...  (so, not taking that route)

Edited by jeffw_00