Opinions

patio

nlinecomputers

I'll miss it to but I understand why it had to go. We that liked it were out numbered by those who disliked it and I think it was having a negative effect on the whole community. Most of us come here as an escape from such things.

Guest Paracelsus
Most of us come here as an escape from such things.
Agreed!!We all get enough of Real Life... in Real LifeAt least here at SNLF...We can shed that crust...And share the Camaraderie of Geekdom :P :rolleyes: :w00t:

We all get enough of Real Life... in Real Life
Agreed! I think Politics is a Nine-to-Five subject. I don't know about others but I come here in the evenings before bed to read and learn, and maybe even get a laugh to settle me down.... Not to get Reved-Up.So I'm not sorry it's gone.

I'm very sorry it's gone. I thought we were bigger than this. Guess not...
Agreed, If anyone did not want to "Get Reved Up " they could have just stayed out of that section. :thumbsup:

nlinecomputers

You are not the only one that has said that. And personally I agree. The problem is that most users use the new topics function to see what is being posted on the forum. That function shows all topics that have new items. No filter for it. So when you had large activity in the Politics sub forum it appears to "drown out" all other topics. And many people are like moths to a flame. They will read such a topic even if they don't like the topic. So they read them and get angry and some leave and don't come back. Really a no win situation.

You are not the only one that has said that.  And personally I agree.  The problem is that most users use the new topics function to see what is being posted on the forum.  That function shows all topics that have new items.  No filter for it.  So when you had large activity in the Politics sub forum it appears to "drown out" all other topics.  And many people are like moths to a flame.  They will read such a topic even if they don't like the topic.  So they read them and get angry and some leave and don't come back.  Really a no win situation.
My characterization is like rubbernecking at an accident. You know you shouldn't look but can't help yourself. :thumbsup: Not sorry to see it gone. As was noted if more posts were in the PCA forum, then people go there...it would also show up on google..people see posts listed "Ooo a discussion on this"...they come here thinking its a political forum, then next thing yah know the tech topics are "drowned out".Far fetched scenario? Maybe but it could happen.

Cluttermagnet

I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach. Seems that most of the reason I come here has been taken away. Those who know me (at all) know that I also spent a fair amount of time discussing actual computer issues here as well. So be it. In effect, it appears that shortcomings in the forum software made our tiny, spirited debates cast 'giant shadows'. Too bad. In theory, there should have been some way to de-emphasize it without killing it. Nice folks here, even those I strenuously disagree with. This place had a special feeling. But when you kill debate and free expression, you have killed most of what makes America- and most of the west- a great place to be. For the first time in over a year, I'll be looking elsewhere, as well as here. I used to practically 'live here' online. May well be back through here from time to time, especially in the Linux forum. Slightly over half of you won't miss me. But I think that, reluctantly, I must admit that for me, most of the joy is now gone. We shall see...

Far fetched scenario?  Maybe but it could happen.
P.S. Thanks, guys, for four more years of ****. And let me remind you all, the majority also 'ruled' (was exploited) in Germany in the 1930's/40's. Being in 'the majority' is not always a good thing.

nlinecomputers

I just had a thunk! :w00t:It is possible for this board to have member only forums. The mods and admins have such places to discuss issues on the boards. Posts on those forums only show up if you have access.Could we not have an invite only or by request only private board? That way we can have a debate forum for those that wish it and those that get upset by it CAN keep out?

Cluttermagnet, I'm afraid I don't understand your sentiments. 37% of your posts have been to the Water Cooler, and that forum isn't going anywhere. We tried a single forum, addressing a single (essentially) topic, and then removed it. I don't understand how that 30 day trial could have had such a profound effect on your attitude toward the entire forum.Certainly there is a stifling of free expression here. There always has been. Our forum rules have never allowed posting on any and all topics. I've never had a complaint that we don't allow discussions of warez. In a forum like this, the owner has the right and obligation to set certain guidelines.Other forums are under discussion. Soon we'll float another trial forum to gauge it's worth. We are aware of the wishes of the members, providing they make them known, and consider them all. Those that are practical, useful and popular, and acceptable to Scot, will be given a test. As much as possible we want this forum to be dynamic and interesting to all who visit...even those of you who seem to reside here. :P

Could we not have an invite only or by request only private board? That way we can have a debate forum for those that wish it and those that get upset by it CAN keep out
That is a splendid idea. :P Maybe it could get regulars hit hard with "discontinuation effect" to stick around.

I just had a thunk! w00t.gifIt is possible for this board to have member only forums. The mods and admins have such places to discuss issues on the boards. Posts on those forums only show up if you have access.Could we not have an invite only or by request only private board? That way we can have a debate forum for those that wish it and those that get upset by it CAN keep out?
Great "THUNK " nathan i was THUNKING the same thing . i am the moderator of such a forum iin another " main forum " and it would work in just that light . only members can see it and the only way you can become a member is to ask a moderator to add you .

Is it possible to discuss Politics in this section and not in a separate section?
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=9628From Jeber's post:
The general consensus is that we should not permit posts that relate to politics, religion or other socially controversial issues that lead to contention and division within the community our members have built here. The Water Cooler will remain our off-topic forum, but topics of a political or religious nature should not be posted there.
Don't know if that means they would delete any posts that will pop up or not...that'd be the moderators' discretion..."Member Only" forum...nice idea but keep in mind too that it may be more work for the current moderators unless they "hire on" somebody else.... Don't know the logistics, programming and bandwith for that either...

Is it possible to discuss Politics in this section and not in a separate section?
Sounds like someone is going through "political withdrawal" :happyrollsick: I must admit, I miss reading and occasionally posting to the now defunct forum.

Sounds like someone is going through "political withdrawal" :happyroll: I must admit, I miss reading and occasionally posting to the now defunct forum.
Well, I think that Nathan has a great idea and it should be looked into. :happyrollsick:

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=9628From Jeber's post:Don't know if that means they would delete any posts that will pop up or not...that'd be the moderators' discretion..."Member Only" forum...nice idea but keep in mind too that it may be more work for the current moderators unless they "hire on" somebody else.... Don't know the logistics, programming and bandwith for that either...
Yeah your right Fuzzy, can't discuss that sort of stuff in The Water Cooler. A members only type thing would probably have to be decided upon by Scot.

I gave this a little thought before weighing in. I don't remember posting much in the political forum, but I did enjoy lurking there. I agree that the overall subject matter did not match the purpose of the SFNL forums, which I believe is for technical discussions.That last said, however, I wish the forum had not been closed. I think that any forum (the overall site, I mean) develops a sense of community. You end up hanging around one because you like the discourse and probably like the way people express themselves. So, in truth, I could read political discussions elsewhere, but it was more interesting to me to see how the people I "knew" were feeling, vs. how the people somewhere else felt.

May well be back through here from time to time, especially in the Linux forum.
May I request that you also still come around the Hardware forum from time to time? Your posts there have been an education to me.

Good grief!For those who forget to check the URL of this forum it's ScotsNewsLetter.com. In other words this forum is connected to Scot's Newsletter. When Scot's newsletter starts including politics in it's publication then this forum should also. Not before.To complain that this technically centric forum should include politics is equivalent to complaining that MTV doesn't show sports and ESPN doesn't show music. It's not a question of free speech its a matter of specialization. You don't complain when your dentist can't examine your eyes or your orthopedic surgeon can't fix your teeth. So why expect this forum to cover things that are outside it's focus? There are thousands of websites available for discussing politics. If you're interested in politics, by all means go find one. If you don't know how we'll be more than happy to show you how to use Google to find them. The same goes for basketweaving and bow hunting and care of reptiles and etc. All equally outside the focus of this forum.If you wish to no longer visit this forum because politics are no longer a major part of it, well that is your decision. And if politics is your only reason for visiting this forum then looking elsewhere is a good decision.But if you have pc problems or MAC problems or Linus problems or Networking problems this is a good place to come. And if you like solving these kinds of problems you will most definitely be welcomed with open arms. As for expanding the topics covered here how about a section on How to run a Forum? Covering such things as: What ISPs to use. What software to use. What features to look for. How much. How many Admins needed. How much bandwidth is needed and how is it determined. etc. Many of us who visit here and use the facilities know little if anything about what drives it. I would certainly be interested to learn more about how a forum runs.And with this kind of information members who want to start forums for their own special interests will be better informed. :happyrollsick:

Good grief!For those who forget to check the URL of this forum it's ScotsNewsLetter.com.  In other words this forum is connected to Scot's Newsletter.  When Scot's newsletter starts including politics in it's publication then this forum should also.  Not before.To complain that this technically centric forum should include politics is equivalent to complaining that MTV doesn't show sports and ESPN doesn't show music.  It's not a question of free speech its a matter of specialization.  You don't complain when your dentist can't examine your eyes or your orthopedic surgeon can't fix your teeth.  So why expect this forum to cover things that are outside it's focus?  There are thousands of websites available for discussing politics.  If you're interested in politics, by all means go find one.  If you don't know how we'll be more than happy to show you how to use Google to find them.  The same goes for basketweaving and bow hunting and care of reptiles and etc.  All equally outside the focus of this forum.If you wish to no longer visit this forum because politics are no longer a major part of it, well that is your decision.  And if politics is your only reason for visiting this forum then looking elsewhere is a good decision.But if you have pc problems or MAC problems or Linus problems or Networking problems this is a good place to come.  And if you like solving these kinds of problems you will most definitely be welcomed with open arms.  As for expanding the topics covered here how about a section on How to run a Forum?  Covering such things as: What ISPs to use.  What software to use.  What features to look for.  How much.  How many Admins needed. How much bandwidth is needed and how is it determined.  etc.  Many of us who visit here and use the facilities know little if anything about what drives it.  I would certainly be interested to learn more about how a forum runs.And with this kind of information members who want to start forums for their own special interests will be better informed.  :happyroll:
Using your logic the entire Water Cooler section should be removed as well. :w00tx100: :happyrollsick:

Could we not have an invite only or by request only private board?  That way we can have a debate forum for those that wish it and those that get upset by it CAN keep out?
And we could have a Gay Forum.And a Lesbian Forum.And Religious Forums. Don't know how many of them you'd need.And an Australian Political Forum for the Aussies who are here.All under lock and key.... that'd be great! Then no-one would upset anyone else, probably wouldn't be talking to each other to get upset.Great Forum..............

QUOTE (EdP @ Nov 16 2004, 02:08 AM)Good grief!For those who forget to check the URL of this forum it's ScotsNewsLetter.com. In other words this forum is connected to Scot's Newsletter. When Scot's newsletter starts including politics in it's publication then this forum should also. Not before.To complain that this technically centric forum should include politics is equivalent to complaining that MTV doesn't show sports and ESPN doesn't show music. It's not a question of free speech its a matter of specialization. You don't complain when your dentist can't examine your eyes or your orthopedic surgeon can't fix your teeth. So why expect this forum to cover things that are outside it's focus?There are thousands of websites available for discussing politics. If you're interested in politics, by all means go find one. If you don't know how we'll be more than happy to show you how to use Google to find them. The same goes for basketweaving and bow hunting and care of reptiles and etc. All equally outside the focus of this forum.If you wish to no longer visit this forum because politics are no longer a major part of it, well that is your decision. And if politics is your only reason for visiting this forum then looking elsewhere is a good decision.But if you have pc problems or MAC problems or Linus problems or Networking problems this is a good place to come. And if you like solving these kinds of problems you will most definitely be welcomed with open arms.As for expanding the topics covered here how about a section on How to run a Forum? Covering such things as: What ISPs to use. What software to use. What features to look for. How much. How many Admins needed. How much bandwidth is needed and how is it determined. etc. Many of us who visit here and use the facilities know little if anything about what drives it. I would certainly be interested to learn more about how a forum runs.And with this kind of information members who want to start forums for their own special interests will be better informed. devil.gifUsing your logic the entire Water Cooler section should be removed as well. devil.gif pirate.gif
QUOTE (nlinecomputers @ Nov 16 2004, 05:28 AM)Could we not have an invite only or by request only private board? That way we can have a debate forum for those that wish it and those that get upset by it CAN keep out?And we could have a Gay Forum.And a Lesbian Forum.And Religious Forums. Don't know how many of them you'd need.And an Australian Political Forum for the Aussies who are here.All under lock and key.... that'd be great!Then no-one would upset anyone else, probably wouldn't be talking to each other to get upset.Great Forum..............
i think you missed nathans point ozidave . the forum he suggested would /could be all of the above not just politics but a place where you could have a spirited discussion among friends and about anything that is not appropriate in any other . and then leave still friends :devil:

Just my personal take on private sub-forums...they seem more divisive and elitist than worthwhile.Of course, we could always say we'd created a "member's only" political discussion sub-forum, then when anyone asks to join, simply say "no". Can't get any more exclusive than that. :devil:

Just my personal take on private sub-forums...they seem more divisive and elitist than worthwhile.Of course, we could always say we'd created a "member's only" political discussion sub-forum, then when anyone asks to join, simply say "no".  Can't get any more exclusive than that.  B)
interesting point...then when somebody gets rejected...it spills over into the "public" forum, whining that they were treated unfairly.Never ends.