New Forum Feedback

securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

I made a slight adjustment to the theme tonight. I changed the Body Background Color from FFFFFF (pure white) to DCE4EF (a pale blue). If you like, say so. If not, I can revert it.

Scot, if you didn't mean for me to tweak like this, just let me know. I'll fix it. :)

Also, I added the old logo that I had created for the previous board. Like? No? Let me know. I can remove it or make a different one.

EDIT: I removed the old logo I installed and reinstalled with a new one that has the same colors as the forum theme. It matches better now. Feedback please... Like? No? Suggestions?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I made a slight adjustment to the theme tonight. I changed the Body Background Color from FFFFFF (pure white) to DCE4EF (a pale blue). If you like, say so. If not, I can revert it.

i like!

• Like 1

securitybreach
9 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Scot, if you didn't mean for me to tweak like this, just let me know. I'll fix it. :)

Also, I added the old logo that I had created for the previous board. Like? No? Let me know. I can remove it or make a different one.

EDIT: I removed the old logo I installed and reinstalled with a new one that has the same colors as the forum theme. It matches better now. Feedback please... Like? No? Suggestions?

Looks nice but I I'm not too crazy about the font on "Scot's" as it looks kind of cartoonish.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Looks nice but I I'm not too crazy about the font on "Scot's" as it looks kind of cartoonish.

It's MS Comic Sans. That's probably why you have a dislike for it. ;)

I can change if you nag me about it enough.

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

OK, so you didn't have to nag me too much after all. How is it now? Better?

Oh, and here are all three Scot's Newsletter Forums banners so you can see the differences...

- old board

a6HRoIU.png

- 1st for new board (with Comic Sans "Scot's")

xKXlddX.png

- 2nd new banner (no Comic Sans)

Mhbi42R.png

securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

It's MS Comic Sans. That's probably why you have a dislike for it. ;)

I can change if you nag me about it enough.

Yes, please!!! Comic Sans is horrible. I like rest of it though.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
5 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Yes, please!!! Comic Sans is horrible. I like rest of it though.

Was done before you posted this, boss. How's that for fast service? ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

You know, I really hate the UGLY rank pips on this theme...

HEIamrk.png

Do we need rank pips at all? I can remove them. Would anyone prefer I didn't? Let me know...

V.T. Eric Layton

I also don't care for the entire profile synopsis in the user's side bar on each posting. If I can find a way to turn that off, would you all prefer it to be off... or do you like the profile baloney on every post? Let me know...

V.T. Eric Layton

Testing...

This is a test of the single line/Return key stroke...

Testing...

One Return

Two Returns

OK, I think you all will prefer it this way. It's the same way we had it on the older board.

V.T. Eric Layton

The Computerworld News feed just seems to be posting titles... no content in the actual postings. :(

Scratch the above. I figured it out. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, NOTE:

I enabled the Status Update thingy that we had at the old board. Let me know if you see it in the right sidebar on the main board page. To make a status update, you click on the Create pulldown menu on the board's main page - top right side.

I also enabled personal sigs in posts as we had it at the old board. To change/edit your personal sig, you'll find that in your account settings by clicking on your name on the upper right of the board main page.

V.T. Eric Layton
2 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Nice but I did notice that it duplicated my status 3 times.

Yeah, the one from June 8. Oh, well... a bugaboo happens every once in a while. I can fix that by allowing only three current updates. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, alrighty then...

I've done enough damage for the day. Let me know what you liked, what you don't like, what peeves you, what impresses you, etc.

Need feedback from the members who are here using this place everyday. If I can make it a better experience for you, I will. If it's something that's not possible, I'll let you know that, too.

Have fun!

V.T. Eric Layton
On 9/20/2019 at 11:23 AM, Pete! said:

I'm not seeing any obvious way to exclude "Computer World" content from Unread Content posted by live persons.

I tried to Ignore Computerworld as a test, but it doesn't keep those posts out of the "Unread" area for me either.

27 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I tried to Ignore Computerworld as a test, but it doesn't keep those posts out of the "Unread" area for me either.

I figured it out. There might be an easier way, but this works:

1.  "Follow" all the areas except the one you wish to ignore, by opening each section, one at a time, and setting your "follow" preferences for each one.
  2.  On the search page  set "Following"  to "Content in areas I follow"
  3.  Click "Save as new Stream" and then "Create Stream"
  4.  Bookmark the url of the result.

Use the new bookmark to see new content w/o the one(s) you didn't follow.

Edited by Pete!
  • Thanks 1

Eric...for the future can you find a way to allow me to turn off notifications for

"Someone gives reputation to something I posted".

I don't need to know if someone likes my post!!!

I dislike most notifications - even on my phone.

V.T. Eric Layton
12 hours ago, zlim said:

Eric...for the future can you find a way to allow me to turn off notifications for

"Someone gives reputation to something I posted".

I don't need to know if someone likes my post!!!

I dislike most notifications - even on my phone.

I don't know if that's possible, Liz. If you click on your name at the upper right side of the board and choose Account Settings in the drop-down menu then choose on the "Other Settings" - Notifications --> untick everything you don't want in there. I'm not sure if that will stop all the notifications, though.

Look HERE for more info on Notifications.

V.T. Eric Layton
12 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Funny enough, I do not care for the notification but I do miss being able to see who liked it.

Yeah, me too. I'll look into the "reaction" system here in a few minutes. Maybe I can tweak a bit to improve.

V.T. Eric Layton
13 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I didn't know that it  was a contest

12 hours ago, Corrine said:

Silly isn't it. 

I agree. If there is some way to disable the Leaderboard BS, would you like me to do it?