Off-Line maps for tablet.

abarbarian

abarbarian

Hi all I have an old tablet running some version of android and would like to install and use some sort of mapping system that I can use off-line whilst out and about on my motocycle.

So the maps would need to be for Wales and the UK. I only need to be able to view roads preferably all form small"c" to "A" roads.

Is there such a program available. Free would be nice but I could stump up a few £'s if necessary. :breakfast:

securitybreach

Yes, there is. Use the F-Droid opensource store and search for OsmAnd~ or search for maps and choose that one. Or go to the Google Play store ( OsmAnd+ there) and pay $4.99 for the same app. They are both the same app but the one from Fdroid doesn't come with the non-free addons (nothing to do with actual normal map and navigation function). Also, the map app is a bit different as far as how you put in the addresses but once you get the hang of it, it works great. You will need to download the maps for your specific area and it uses Openstreet maps.

OsmAnd is a GPS Navigation and map application that runs on many Android and iOS smartphones and tablets, featuring optional offline maps and turn by turn directions. OsmAnd is a collaborative, open source (GPL) software project that incorporates the 100% free OpenStreetMap data to deliver a complete, user-friendly, mobile GPS solution. Rich mapping, navigation, routing, Points Of Interest (POI), and historical tracking functions are all well supported. The software is well refined, reliable, globally deployed, and runs on many Android and iOS based smartphones, tablets, and a wide array of Linux-based systems.

Frequently updated map and POI data are typically downloaded beforehand and stored on the navigation device. Subsequent use does not require an Internet connection, which allows unlimited usage without incurring potentially costly data transfer charges. It also offers uninterrupted and unfettered GPS reliability despite degraded or non-existent cellular phone network signal coverage.

https://wiki.openstr...org/wiki/OsmAnd

OsmAnd+ (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.

Enjoy voice and optical navigation, viewing POIs (points of interest), creating and managing GPX tracks, using contour lines visualization and altitude info, a choice between driving, cycling, pedestrian modes, OSM editing and much more.

OsmAnd+ is the full version of this app. Please donate to support the project, fund the development of new features, and receive the latest updates.

Some of the main features:

Navigation

• Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)

• Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices)

• Optional lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival

• Supports intermediate points on your itinerary

• Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route

• Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), or by geographical coordinates..............................

https://f-droid.org/...et.osmand.plus/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information folks.

I decided to trial the OsmAnd~ and downloaded it from F-Droid.

Suprisingly my very cheap £30 tablet has a GPS thingy. I loaded up the Welsh maps and the Wiki add-on and set of on a short tour on the Royal. The map moved as I travelled and it was interesting to check out the highlighted wiki points of interest, they show up as orange dots on the map.

The screen on my tablet is a tad hard to see in sunlight, so reading the map on the move is not practical. Battery life on the short test I did seems to give me four to five hours of tablet life and I could extend that by turning the tablet on and of as needed. Or I could wire in a cheapo usb port on the Royal and charge on the go.

All in all I am pretty chuffed with the result and will be doing a major cross country run shortly to York /Scarbourough via the Peak District and back again.

Thanks again folks. :breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

All in all I am pretty chuffed with the result and will be doing a major cross country run shortly to York /Scarbourough via the Peak District and back again.

Does that mean that you are happy with the results? I am not familiar with "chuffed". B)

Ah ok

chuffed