Problems logging in....permissions not right and more

wa4chq

Not a good morning all.....This morning first thing, I was going to boot up with my USB stick containing MX17....all went well but I noticed I was having a problem with "sudo". I saw this

/usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have setuid bit set
I've never had issues with su or sudo before. I thought maybe it had something to do with how I logged in at boot thinking maybe I hit F6 instead of F5 for persistance.....so rebooted and still had problems with sudo. So I halted and was going to reboot into slack.....but the lappy never seemed to shutdown.....just went to a blinking underscore......so I forced shutdown and rebooted. I log in from cli and have startx and spectrwm as an alias so hitting x did not work. Using ranger I looked at my .xinitrc file and I couldn't edit it. I logged out and logged in as root and could not edit .xinitrc. Even trying to mount other partions from cli gave me permission errors.

Yesterday I noticed something strange when booting to Archbang which is on another partition. My prompt looked odd. I use zsh and have it styled a certain way and it wasn't right. I also had issues starting x with Archbang....

The only thing new is a printer which I got up and running...not with Slack (didn't setup a printer when I put slack 14.1 on laptop so that is why I was using MX17 on the thumbdrive)

Now I'm booted up with porteus on a thumb. I'm gonna google the error message and see what I find. I just wanted to post this in case someone has had this problem before......

Very sad....

I've found some info from an Ubuntu site that talks about this problem. The bottom line is the fix may be as simple as

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo

I've got more reading to do before I try that.

securitybreach

I've found some info from an Ubuntu site that talks about this problem. The bottom line is the fix may be as simple as

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo

Yeah but how would that affect editing .xinitrc and your zsh shell?

• Like 1

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo

Yeah but how would that affect editing .xinitrc and your zsh shell?

good morning..... I don't know. The following is from quick notes this morning so may not be accurate. From one of the sites I found this:

ls -l /usr/bin/sudo
ls -la /usr/bin | grep -v "root *root"
ls -la /usr/bin | grep "rwxr-xr-x\|^l"

And one of the things that I saw was user was not "wa4chq" and group was not "users"....it was "qrp" and "something else". Also, as root and using MC, I noticed that my all the permissions for /home/wa4chq were screwed up....

This is getting stranger and stranger.... :ermm:

It is very odd since. I'm hoping that it's a simple fix. IE if in MC I see that user "wa4chq" home has the wrong owner, ...owner was "wa4chq" and now it is "qrp" and group is "neil" instead of "users"and then somehow as root chown for wa4chq and have /home/wa4chq/ go back to normal ownership. Might be wishful thinking...

Edited by wa4chq

Wow, sounds nasty. I once accidentally changed all permissions to $user and was not able to recover. Root permissions are much too complex for a simple chown to fix. Hope you have your backups in order and current.

A burning question is how did this happen?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

You know, I just read somewhere yesterday or the day before that ZSH has a security flaw. I can't remember where I read that. I'll have to search. Please stand by...

Hmm... can't find the exact article/site, but I did find this: https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-7498/product_id-12642/ZSH-ZSH.html

• Like 1

Wow, sounds nasty. I once accidentally changed all permissions to $user and was not able to recover. Root permissions are much too complex for a simple chown to fix. Hope you have your backups in order and current.

A burning question is how did this happen?

Morning....I wish I knew what happened. The only thing I can thing of is when trying to get my printer set up. Originally when bought this laptop Lenovo e420 I didn't set slackware 14.1 up for using a printer. I bought a new printer last week and the only way to print was by booting MX17 on a thumb. I thought maybe I'd try and get CUPs up and working using Slack. I got it to recognize the printer but it didn't print....so I stopped. The next day I noticed the problem with permissions. Right now I'm logged in as root using Slack and KDE (yikes! ;) ) I'm going to try adding a new user with it's own home directory. Yesterday afternoon I tried it but made the old home it's home....that does not work! Luckily all is backed up.

• Like 1

You know, I just read somewhere yesterday or the day before that ZSH has a security flaw. I can't remember where I read that. I'll have to search. Please stand by...

Hmm... can't find the exact article/site, but I did find this: https://www.cvedetai...42/ZSH-ZSH.html

Morning...I'll have to read it. tnx. I've been using zsh for years and never had a problem. I believe the problem in my case is pilot error. I'm the type of guy that if I see a blank piece of paper I have to scribble something on it. Same thing ever since I started "messing" with computers. I can't stop messing with it...lol....that's why things are messed up now! lol

...just glanced at the article....not sure I understand what they are saying....will dig deeper.

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 2

Did you install QRP-Logger?? https://launchpad.net/qrp-logger

It's a ham radio app.

morning....no, as a hamster I use low power morse....QRP means low power, besides I'm still a pencil a paper kinda logger! lol

I only asked as you mentioned a user called "qrp".

To be honest, I've never heard of QRP-logger. I know there are loggers out there, I just haven't looked into them.

• Like 1

OK...tried adding a new user named "yaesu" with home directory "/home/yaesu". Using xwmconfig I've tried to KDE, xfce and wmaker. Then when typing "startx" I get an error message saying

Fatal server error

(ee) can't move old logfile "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

But as root I can changer window managers and startx no problem..... so not sure if it's worth trying to figure this one out. I'm leaning towards making sure all the important stuff is backed up and re-installing Slack.....not sure if I mentioned but even my Archbang user is messed up.....not a big deal all the way around. I don't really use it except as another place to store stuff....

• Like 1

securitybreach

OK...tried adding a new user named "yaesu" with home directory "/home/yaesu". Using xwmconfig I've tried to KDE, xfce and wmaker. Then when typing "startx" I get an error message saying

Fatal server error

But as root I can changer window managers and startx no problem..... so not sure if it's worth trying to figure this one out. I'm leaning towards making sure all the important stuff is backed up and re-installing Slack.....not sure if I mentioned but even my Archbang user is messed up.....not a big deal all the way around. I don't really use it except as another place to store stuff....

I would test your harddrive for errors, back up everything and reinstall.

• Like 1

Fatal server error

I would test your harddrive for errors, back up everything and reinstall.

OK SB, tnx for the info....MX17 has GSmartControl. I will have to read more about it but I just ran the extended self-test and it passed. I'm toying with the idea of pulling the hard drive and buying a new one ($36). Everything on the old drive will be saved and available for later when I can take my time and go thru it properly.

Been a yaesu dude for many years! Went ahead and ordered a new hard drive and a copy of 14.2. When they come in I'll decide if I wanna dual boot...Slackware and maybe with something like MX-17?

yaesu.jpg

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 3

securitybreach

I never messed with ham radio but I always thought it would be neat to do so. Another thing that I never got around to doing..

• Like 1

I never messed with ham radio but I always thought it would be neat to do so. Another thing that I never got around to doing..

It's very different from when I first got licensed back in '72. Knowing morse code was a requirement...5wpm for Novice, 13wpm for General and 20wpm for Extra. I happen to enjoy code so upgrading was not a problem. Today, knowing code is not required......(boo) so getting your ticket is just knowiing some theory, rules etc. and then go take the test. I was interested with Ham Radio at an early age because my dad was very active when I was a kid (he still is licensed but not active). I didn't get into computers until very late in life....mid-90's. Everybody I knew just used them for printing docs and keeping tabs with theirs bills etc. Believe it or not, when I first got on the internet and discovered Arachne web browser, I thought it was an OS....using it required DOS and an external modem. I loved hearing the modem make it's noise! lol.... Back then during my morning commute to work, I'd chat to some of the local hams....lotta fun. That is where the guys talked about burning solder and linux. lol....sorry for the trip down memory lane....lol

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

It's never too late.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I never got my ham license. I was an avid chicken-beater (CB radio) from about 1970 till the mid-80s. I ran mostly illegal rigs (illegal channels, linear amps, etc.) My ham experience was from my service work. I was a component level tech for RF comm [business, marine, and some ham (2 and 10 meter rigs, mostly)]. I was familiar with the Yaesu name you used above because I was an authorized tech for them at one time.

Ah... the memories. :)

P.S. Cluttermagnet (David) is a big ham enthusiast, technician, and tinkerer. He's posted some interesting stuff on my private forum (The Cabin In the Woods). If you'd like to visit, Neil, just drop me a PM here with your email addy and I'll send you an invite.

• Like 2

I never got my ham license. I was an avid chicken-beater (CB radio) from about 1970 till the mid-80s. I ran mostly illegal rigs (illegal channels, linear amps, etc.) My ham experience was from my service work. I was a component level tech for RF comm [business, marine, and some ham (2 and 10 meter rigs, mostly)]. I was familiar with the Yaesu name you used above because I was an authorized tech for them at one time.

Ah... the memories. :)

P.S. Cluttermagnet (David) is a big ham enthusiast, technician, and tinkerer. He's posted some interesting stuff on my private forum (The Cabin In the Woods). If you'd like to visit, Neil, just drop me a PM here with your email addy and I'll send you an invite.

Fine business OM.....I never was a CB'r but I would do the "breaker 19" if a buddy had one in his car.....lol

OK about being an authorized tech for Yaesu. I have two more rigs from Yaesu but they are just for 2m.....I really never get on that band anymore....but using 2m and 70cm?? split a lot of guys are communicating thru AMSATs...amateur satellites. I made a 2m beam for the downlink a few years ago and enjoyed hearing some of the quick exchanges.....hey, like you said, it's never too late.....

Been a yaesu dude for many years! Went ahead and ordered a new hard drive and a copy of 14.2. When they come in I'll decide if I wanna dual boot...Slackware and maybe with something like MX-17?

yaesu.jpg

https://linuxtracker...s&category=2177

You might be better of with MX-18 :tease:

Yes, that may be better than 17......tnx!
  • Like 1

so the USB wasn't hacked? :)

I don't think so. I think it was pilot error on my part. I couldn't leave things the way they were....ie: bootiing MX17 from thumb drive to satisfy my printing needs. I ended up trying to set Slack up for the CUPS server cuz I couldn't be happy the way things were....gotta tweak...lol.... I wish I'd kept a record of how many times I tweaked things a little too far....bet it's a world record. :teehee:

Edited by wa4chq

Getting things backed up (and backed up) (time to employ the tips I read the other day from Sunrat...using comm and fslint....I have so many dupes in my backup drive). The good news is I found PartedMagic amongst the backups.

pm_thumb.jpg

Edited by wa4chq