VPNs?

Hedon James

V.T. Eric Layton

If you use a private search engine like DuckDuckGo, you can set your preferences as to location, time zone, etc. and they are stored anonymously as a cookie that you can add to your exceptions list in your browser so it doesn't get deleted. They can also be saved anonymously on DuckDuckGo's cloud save. This way you can search from within your VPN accurately with no risk to your privacy.

Another anonymous search engine is StartPage, by the way.

• Like 2

securitybreach

LOL....I set up PIA using a different country, down under roaming with the kangaroos. Now my searches reflect "my location" :ninja:. Searching for a submersible water pump to get an idea of costs and results show companies in Australia..... guess I better remember to maybe stay a little closer to home....hahaha...

You can force google to only search in a specific country. I have PIA set as Canada so I had to make that change.

If you use a private search engine like DuckDuckGo, you can set your preferences as to location, time zone, etc. and they are stored anonymously as a cookie that you can add to your exceptions list in your browser so it doesn't get deleted. They can also be saved anonymously on DuckDuckGo's cloud save. This way you can search from within your VPN accurately with no risk to your privacy.

Another anonymous search engine is StartPage, by the way.

I use DDG mostly but sometimes, I have to use google when searching for technical issues as DDG just doesn't return as accurate of results as google.

• Like 2

sb, when I first installed pia, by default they had me in Washington DC...reckon that's because it's close to my location here in Mathew's VA. Then I saw I could change the state/country...but as you guys have mentioned I either have set up preferences or keep in mind when searching specific things like for example, Virginia Smoked Hams.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Have also tried DDG.

Yeah... I was using StartPage for a while, but didn't like the way their image search worked, so I went back to DDG, which I had been using for a while previously. DDG is fine. Sadly Google is still the best, but well... it's Google - and they're EVIL! ;)

• Like 2

securitybreach

Well I think their browser kind of sucks. I just FF with DDG as the default search engine.

• Like 2

I'm liking DDG on the phone....it uses tabs. Maybe Chrome could do that....I don't know, but when checking out the app for DDG that was one of the things mentioned right off the bat......

securitybreach

I'm liking DDG on the phone....it uses tabs. Maybe Chrome could do that....I don't know, but when checking out the app for DDG that was one of the things mentioned right off the bat......

All of the major mobile browsers have tabs and have for years now. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Edge (yes, it's on android), Brave, etc.

• Like 1

Hello,

An interesting article from ComputerWeekly.Com:

The source for the article is this blog post:

which provides more information about how the data was collected and analyzed. I am not sure how the ranking of a particular VPN as a "top" one was done (downloads? user installs? bandwidth?)

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3

securitybreach

I love how 90% of the VPN articles are written by competing companies. Like the source on this one is an unknown VPN company called VPN Pro?

• Like 3

securitybreach

It's interesting stuff but you know what I mean. You wouldn't trust a an article written by Coca-Cola downplaying Pepsi. Companies have no problem flat out lying to drive their profits.

We didn't realize how good we had it when False Advertising was illegal.

• Like 2

I think it's time I've looked into a VPN. I never really gave them much thought [...]

Same here! Thanks for starting this thread!

• Like 2

Hello,

At work, we get a huge amount of unsolicited spam from VPN companies asking to publish articles in our blog. I send their URLs off to the lab for blocking.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I love how 90% of the VPN articles are written by competing companies. Like the source on this one is an unknown VPN company called VPN Pro?

• Like 2

Hedon James

I think it's time I've looked into a VPN. I never really gave them much thought [...]

Same here! Thanks for starting this thread!

Glad you find this info useful also! You're welcome...consider this a "quid pro quo" for turning me onto Fluxbox.....STILL my absolute favorite WM by a very wide margin! :clap:

• Like 2