AVG 7.0 Free Edition

Peachy

Great. I was thinking I would need to do something this weekend to hubby's computer. I tried to install the trial version before but by the time the email with the activation came through the authorization date had passed. ^_^ Maybe I can get it done this morning before I head out the door.

I think the app will stay free, but I too wonder about the updates. I joined their forum so I could keep an ear to the ground, so to speak. I imagine any changes in updates or the client will probably be discussed there before it hits the Web.

How does AVG compare to McAfee in coverage, stability, and non-intrusiveness?
1000% better in every way shape and formgo get it (Pro version - pay for it, not the free version)

I'm running the free version on one computer. So far, so good.Personally, I'd rather give AVG my money than to McAfee (paid them in the past) or to Norton. (I can manage to freeze any computer that I install anything Norton on).

Cluttermagnet

Thanks for the reminder, peachy. I downloaded v 7.0 last night. I will get around to changing over 'soon'. I have been completely satisfied with the free v 6.0. AVG is one of the very best, IMO. I think they plan to support 7.0 with free updates indefinitely, Jeber. I think that is part of their business plan. Apparently they feel that there is enough in the paid version to attract the financial support they need, and it is far better to give 7.0 away for free to others rather than have too many infected zombie machines making trouble on the internet. BTW anybody notice that the serial number thing for the free edition seems to have been dropped? I was not asked to give up an email addy or anything, they just download the free edition when requested. My hat is off to them. A great team!

Shoot--I just got back from my aunt's in Virginia. I support her computer/software and was hoping AVG 7.0 would be out of beta before I left so I could install it but no luck. Guess I'll have to try and get my cousin to do it when he goes down at Thanksgiving. I pay for AVG Pro, but am grateful for the free version for senior citizens on budgets like my aunt.

Martini Lover

I have been using Version 6 for quite some time. I downloaded v.7 today and while it was loading, I noticed it un-installed 6 and used the number from that as the identifier for 7.Now, does anyone know how to shut off that annoying little box that pops up and says "AVG E-Mail Scanner"???????????Thanks

The only major differences I see, is that it takes almost triple the time to scan, as it does a very thorough, full HDD scan with heuristics, and it does not do an update check at a specific time, like in 6.0. It only gives you a choice of a 2 hour 'window' of time. So you never know when the server will download updates in that time, if there are any. The visual spinning icon that Martini Lover refers to is part of the new GUI. To get rid of it, you have to uncheck the icon setting in the E-Mail Scanner Properties dialog. It will run according to the interval you set OE to 'Check for new messages'.But these are small inconveniences, compared to the outstanding protection and very good automation this program provides, IMO.

I've installed it on 3 computers (4 partitions). It installed perfectly on ME and 2K but on both my 98SE computers (an HP and a Micron), it did not remove the v6 folder and did not install the v7 folder in the Start/Programs list.It's not a big deal because it runs fine and I manually removed the v6 folder with the shortcuts pointing to a non-existent program. I manually created a v7 and put a shortcut to the latest AVG in it.I'd still like to figure out why it did not install properly. If anyone has ideas, feel free to chime in.

what if we want to do an automated (scheduled) defrag?
A valid question.
I manually created a v7 and put a shortcut to the latest AVG in it.
AVG has a config option to look for updates when booting. You don't need to put a link to it in the Startup folder, or add it to Windows' Task Scheduler. Both approaches that I have used in the past with AVG 6.
I manually removed the v6 folder with the shortcuts pointing to a non-existent program.
I believe I had to do the same. But I had an extra file or two in the folder, like a copy of the original ini file, and that most likely stopped the delete folder process.

what if we want to do an automated (scheduled) defrag?
Then either don't use AVG 7 or write a script to disable it first. Maybe an upgrade to WinXp will help as I have no trouble with slow defrags. :P

You don't need to put a link to it in the Startup folder
I didn't need anything at startup, I needed a program listing. When I install new programs, I disconnect from the internet and shut off everything including firewall and AV before I do an install. The when I want to back on the internet, I start the programs again from the program listing. If they are listed there, I have to open windows explorer and go searching for it. Doable, but more of a pain, LOL.

it did not remove the v6 folder and did not install the v7 folder in the Start/Programs list.It's not a big deal because it runs fine and I manually removed the v6 folder with the shortcuts pointing to a non-existent program.
Thanks for pointing that out, zlim. I forgot to mention that little niggle in my post. That happened to me too. In the download instructions for 7.0, it mentions that it will automatically uninstall 6.0 (or some thing like that). It didn't. Perhaps they'll fix that bug in the next update to the program.

Thanks guys. Phew, now I can stop worrying if some software on my two computers caused this and now chalk it up to the way it installs on some computers. :lol: Don't worry I'm sure I'll find something else that isn't working properly within the hour, LOL.

Ok - I tried out AVG7 Free. I have a set of infected files I've been using to test scanners. My results previously:EZTrust: Very fast, very configurable, poor coverage.Norton: Great coverage (practically as good as mcafee), great configurability. Speed: A real dog.Mcafee (Virusscan 8 consumer): Best coverage, fast enough, very poor configurability.AVG 7: Configurability is really good (though it would be nice to be able to schedule selected scans -but maybe you can do this by scheduling avgscan.exe or avg.exe (dos) directly - worst case - have to go to paid edition). Speed - pretty darn fast, faster than mcafee.Coverage: NOT GOOD! It found more trojans than mcafee (a plus), but, my one virus-ridden file (w32/klez, exploit-mimegen), shows up CLEAN in AVG 7. That really scares me. I've posted it in the guardian forum (which, i think is -the- place for AVG discussion, yes?) but until this is resolved I'm back on Mcafee. If anyone wants my virus test case I can mail it to them (zipped, of course). it's only 11KB./j

Let me see if I understand this. :lol: You prefer to use an AV that misses more trojans but flags a file that you believe is infected. So as long as that type of infection is prevented you don't object to picking up more trojans of the type the other AV would prevent. :D Interesting logic. B) Have you confirmed with other AVs that the infected file is indeed infected? PC-cillin's HouseCall is free. B)