Irma's Gonna' Rock the Casbah!

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Yessiree, Bob. Ol' Irma has sights set right smack on my rear end here in Tampa. Of course, that could always change, hopefully. The storm will be at its worse in my area around midnight on Sunday to 4AM on Monday. It always happens in the middle of the night. It's so cliche. ;)

Well, I've done all I can to prepare and fortify. All I can do now is wait it out and hope this very well-built house that my dad built with his own two hands 65 years ago can withstand whatever Irma throws at us. Below are two pics of the heavy gauge metal panels that I put up over my front (northern exposure) windows today.

8WjvhRW.jpg

HzifYRo.jpg

So, if you don't hear from me for a while, don't worry. I'm probably just without electricity. They say it could be days/weeks without power here if this storm beats the fuzz out of us. NO AC. That gonna suck. :( Well, I have all the necessities... cat food and cigarettes. We'll be OK! ;)

Weeeeeeeeeee! What fun. NOT.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

The east coast is still going to get some rain and moderate winds, but it'll be better than being up close and friendly with Irma. ;) The problem is that Florida is a very narrow (relatively speaking) piece of real estate. That storm can change track on a whim. Donna came on the exact same track in 1960, but as she was cruising up the southern Gulf coast (west side), she made a sudden right turn and cut across the state beating the snot of of the Atlantic (east side) from Daytona Beach all the way up to Jacksonville. You just never know with this storms. The science of prediction is a lot gooder these days, but not foolproof by a long shot.

• Like 2

Just read this in the TorontoSun,

The Tampa Bay area has not taken a direct hit from a major hurricane since 1921, when its population was about 10,000, National Hurricane Center spokesman Dennis Feltgen said. Now around 3 million people live there.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

A little bit of good news...

The updated track has the storm center going north a little ways to the east of me. That's a good thing because the strongest winds, rain, and tornadoes are in the upper right hand quadrant of these storms. It could mean the difference between 75mph gusts and 90-110mph gusts. So, that's a good thing. Every little bit helps. If the track continues to stay to the east of me, I'll be on the weak side during the entire event. Weak is, of course, a relative term in this kind of monster, but it is better to be on the weak side.

You can keep track of this storm with the image below. Just remember to refresh the page to get the updated view.

pie_None_anim.gif

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm still hangin' on...

3zWdKZA.gif

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

OK... shutting down for a while. I don't want the system up if the power goes. I'll check in again when I can... probably not till tomorrow sometime.

'Night all! smiley.png

securitybreach

Eric is without power but he is doing well. He called me last night while I was asleep and left this message:

Josh this is Eric in Tampa Listen. I just wanted to let you know that it's gone past as our way over to the east so we got beat up a little bit, but everything's hunky dory here my house budget down trees little tree branches and leaves and all kind of s*** all over the place, but doing fine. I just don't have any electricity so it's all hot and stuffy in the D*** house. I'm going to shut my cell phone off when I hang up with you. So don't bother to call back cuz I'm trying to save the battery cuz I have no idea how long we're going to be without power, but anyway all's cool. Man later. Bye know. I'm I'm still standing the kitties are all alright, so be good now. I'll see you online soon as I get some electricity later.
  • Like 3

securitybreach

Thanks for posting Josh. Glad everything is okay. Now we can start worrying about Hurricane Jose, next up in the batting order.

No worries. That is why I asked him to call me if the power went out. Let's hope Jose will be fine as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.

I'm having lunch with a woman today whose daughter lives and works in the Tampa area. I'm anxious to hear any news about her daughter.

• Like 3

securitybreach

Thanks for the update.

I'm having lunch with a woman today whose daughter lives and works in the Tampa area. I'm anxious to hear any news about her daughter.

Not a problem, glad to pass on the good news.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

ALL IS WELL!

73 hours without electricity. I'm exhausted... can't sleep in the steamy heat. Myself and many of my neighbors spent the last two nights on our porches or talking out in the streets. I think we've all gotten about 10 hours sleep in the last 72 or so.

I'll be back here soon with pics and stories of the adventure.

Love you all!

~Eric

Oh, and thank for posting the update brother Josh!

• Like 4

Glad you have AC back with the power, Eric. Now life can start again. Bet the cats were outraged at the lack of normal comforts and blamed it all on you, of course.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1