Hard drive issues, maybe?

SueD

Sorry Liz, I thought I had mentioned it was the power button that keeps flashing.

I have a feeling you and I are finding the same posts about similar problems since my search parameters are the same. I haven't got any spare ram sticks but I removed 1 at a time to see if that could be the culprit. So both are back seated nice and snug in their respective slots.

I haven't got a spare vid card hanging around but I know where I can get one in a few days.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Hardware forum since it's not linux related?

Power supply? That was Digerati's hunch earlier.

Your machine will use a standard 24 pin ATX power supply if you have one around.

Edited by raymac46

A blinking yellow light indicates the power supply is receiving power from the wall, but not functioning properly. This generally means the power supply itself is bad and should be tested or replaced.

A blinking green light means the computer is in standby mode.

So what color is the blinking power light?

Ray, PSU was replaced about 3 years ago. Steve's got a meter and checked it out last week and it's fine.

Liz, the button's flashing white, the same colour it is when it's on.

Okay, that would seem to indicate the same as computers with green power on lights. So, for some strange reason, your computer is going into standby mode.

Can you try a live distro on CD/DVD or USB stick and see if the same behavior occurs?

• 4 weeks later...

My last update on this matter...

I give up. Threw in a decent vid card and things were going great for 7 days. On the 8th day, it's repeating what it was doing before. At 7 years old, maybe it's just time to admit this Dell is done and it's time to get a new computer made.

Thanks for all your help and ideas everyone.

• Like 1

securitybreach

At 7 years old, maybe it's just time to admit this Dell is done and it's time to get a new computer made.

Yeah, I would if you can.