RH9

georgeg4

Hi all Here comes the dummy again . I got RH9 up and running as well as WinXP and 98 . Only shortcoming is the RH boot screen flies by so fast I can't use it . I am booting off a floppy now and that works O.K. Trouble is I can't find how to connect to the internet . It doesn't show any place to connect and it doesn't detect nor show my modem .

What kind of modem do you have? If it's a Winmodem then you may have trouble as Linux doesn't take kindly to these software-based controllers. The problem with these modems is that the physical act of modulating/demodulating the analog signal to a digital one is virtualized on the Winmodem chip and then proprietary drivers hook into the operating system. Linux programmers have had trouble writing drivers for these things. Your best bet is an external serial port modem or a PCI-based hardware modem.

It is U.S.Robotics Internal 56k pci Peachy And I am afraid an external is out of the question . I live on a fixed income and can't affor another modem . So if I can't get this one to work I will just have to play with RH offline and stick to ( shudder ) WinXP Home that I am using now

Not a problem..... I am the Linmodem king on forums..... ;) That is a pretty popular modem. You wouldn't be using a Dell, would you? Let me do a little research, and I'll be back.... The biggest hump to getting a Winmodem to work is finding out what chipset it is using........ Don't fret. I can all but assure you that there is a Linmodem driver for your card.... Actually, that is probably the only thing a newer distro will not recognize on a newer computer..... They dont call it a "Winmodem" for nothing..... That sounded like an acurate discription for it.... Is that what it said exactally in Device Manager?Jon

O.k.... As I suspected..... A U.S. Robitics 56k pci Internal Modem is a little broad... There are voice message modems, fax modems and all sorts of US robitics out there..... I hope you can get a little more detail from 'Device Manager' in Windows.... 3com is the maker and they are big on providing support for Linux.... I use a 3com myself.... They're big on ethernet cards as well.... I'm using a Winmodem as we speak.... Don't have a combo card do you? Dell is big on that.... Get into Windows and right click on My Computer then go to properties and then go to.... uh..... Device manager? Hardware something or other... I'm getting really rusty on Windows...... I never use it anymore.... Find your modem and copy/paste the exact listing... Also go here...... http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanmodemLog on thru Windows and download the exe..... Duh... Can't do it thru Linux.... Run it and a dos looking window will come up....... Copy/paste the results in your next post along with 'Device Manager" listing.... Been awhile since I used that.... There IS a Linmodem driver for your card..... Just takes a little work to find it.......Jon

I knew when I bought my modem I would be using linux so I choose the US Robotics external modem and never had a problem. I would never own a winmodem myself, they are just lazy.

Ok Here it is jong357 And no I don't have a Dell it is an aftermarket PC using a MicroPro MB with an ATI128 Rage Graphics card and A AMDk6 3d 501 mgh processor with 320 megs Ram The Modem is Hardware id=PCI\Ven_12B9&dev_1007& subsys_OOC212B9&rev_00I assume all you need are the vendor # and Device # but I included it all just in case .

Ack! It looks like your Windows drivers weren't installed properly. But it works, right? Can you look at your modem and somewhere on it should be a product ID number like 00568301 or 001125-00 or 005698-00. Let us know what it is then we can steer you to the correct chipset. I think 3Com uses Rockwell chipsets for their winmodems.

I just finished checking out the 1807 chipset on the linmodems website and it says my modem is not supported by linuxChipset data:Manufacturer Analog Devices, Inc., a custom chipset for 3Com, based on the ADSP-2189. Datasheet not available Applications Controllerless modem, small footprint Identifiers PCI vendor ID: 12B9, PCI device ID: 1007 Linux support 3Com has not released a Linux driver for the AD1807/1804-based WinmodemsComponents AD1807 Data PumpAD1804 Silicon DAAAD1803 Voice Codec 24-pin TSSOP (optional)I guess I am stuck with Windows for awhile

Too bad. That's unfortunate you ended up with such a beast. Price is a big seller. The modem manufacturers can push out cheap winmodems and people will eat them up. I always recommend external or hardware modems when people ask me for an opinion.5605.jpgThat's mine. Have had it since 1998 and its gone through 4 computers and 3 operating systems, plus a brief encounter with Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 (arrghhh!!!! Caldera, bad, bad, bad!!!! Whoops. Meant SCO bad, bad, bad!!!) :ph34r:

Yep Peachy those win-modems are a real curse !George, see if you can get a 2nd hand modem.:ph34r: Bruno

I sure will bruno but as finances are at the moment and the future as well :ph34r: I am afraid it will have to be put on the shelf for awhile .Since I just got this one a couple of months ago when I upgraded to WinXP . I will however keep coming to this forum and continue to learn whatever I can till something happens .

Oh well... That kinda' bums me out. I saw that site as well..... If it was a Rockwell or Conextant chipset, you would have been alright..... I was under the impression that U.S. Robitics were going mainstream with all of their chipsets...... I guess it depends on when it was made among other things...... I had high hopes. Sorry George.... I'm sure we could find a decent hardmodem for 20 bones or so...... I'll keep an eye out....Jon